Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » What was so great about Preacher? (Page 3)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: What was so great about Preacher?
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Lard Lad:
This thread has caused me to start rereading Preacher! I had originally slated Y: The Last Man for my first summer reread, but this talk resparked my interest in Preacher.

I own Preacher in floppies, having bought them off the shelf back in the day. I've now reread issues 1-7, the equivalent of the first trade.

One thing that struck me in the first issue was a couple of big coincedences I don't remember noting before. Tulip happening to run into a vampire (series co-lead Cassidy) while fleeing mobsters was pretty big. But the two of them happening on Annvile just after the big cataclysm involving Tulip's ex Jesse whom she hadn't seen in five years and whom she had no idea was in Annville was pretty collossal! It took me out of the story for a little bit.

Another thing that people who experienced Preacher via trades are missing out on was the letter columns being answered by Garth Ennis! They were a real treat and are being reread along with the rest of the books. It's a real shame that DC did away with lettercols about halfway thru Preacher's run because I really missed them in Preacher particularly, even though Garth did some encores for issue 50 and the finale, iirc.

In retrospect Preacher isn't coming off as wild, risque and boundary-pushing as it did all those years ago, but one thing that stands the test of time is the overall high quality of both the story and especially characterization. The latter is something Garth Ennis has always excelled at. More than anything, it's fun catching up with some old friends.

I'll probably alternate reading chunks of Preacher along with my rgular stacks of new comics. It'll help me savor it more, I suspect.

One problem, though, is I'm missing issue 63 for some reason. Not sure what happened to it as my Preacher collection was complete. Probably mislaid in some random longbox it would take me ages to find. I'll have to track down a replacement before I get to that arc. No issue of Preacher is disposable or skippable, damnit! And it's one of the last few as well. [No]

And, oh yeah, Sheriff Root was fuckin' AWESOME! I'm a little mad with Jesse for doing what he did to him and what it caused Root to do in response. Root could've headlined his own book, damnit! [Yes]

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Herr Starr is a villain worth rooting for!
From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
The Sexual Investigators ... were hilarious ... even if the shock value of their antics is outdated.
From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
maybe. but at the time it was kick-arse!
From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Power Boy:
The Sexual Investigators ... were hilarious ... even if the shock value of their antics is outdated.

IIRC, that was the one standalone special that Garth wanted to do but never did. He said DC wouldn't let him do it the way he wanted to (probably way sexually over the top), so he didn't do it at all. With what he gets away with on The Boys at Dynamite, it's too bad he probably couldn't tell the story over there. I imagine he would be contractually obligated to produce new Preacher work for DC/Vertigo exclusively if he ever did, even though he owns the copyright.

I doubt he looks back at that anyway, but he said it was the one Preacherverse story he wanted to tell but left untold.

--------------------

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Update: I've reread thru issue sixteen, the "Hunters" arc that introduced the Grail and especially Herr Starr (as well as the above-referenced sexual investigators). Very good arc. I especially applauded how Jesse showed that perv Sade his displeasure with involving children in his activities.

--------------------

Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
Hey Preacher fans (or anyone who dabbled in the series):

There is a trivia question waiting for you to go all carpe diem on it over in The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread on Spaceopoly.

Spoiler alert: Anyone who hasn't made it at least as far as Dixie Fried will probably be clueless, and if you have not made it to All Hell's A-Coming there is a spoiler involved.

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

quote:
Originally posted by Kent Shakespeare:

Spoiler alert: Anyone who hasn't made it at least as far as Dixie Fried will probably be clueless, and if you have not made it to All Hell's A-Coming there is a spoiler involved.

BAH! Trades, schmades! I gots da floppies! [tease]

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.