Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Power Girl solo comic (Page 3)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Power Girl solo comic
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I desperately want to like this title, but my above review explains how I feel. I read something 70 titles every month, and Power Girl was nominated for single worst one of them in July and August. And that includes a hell of a lot of not so great ones.

Since Crisis on Infinite Earths, its been awful hard to take Power Girl seriously, despite several creators really trying to make an honest go of it. This title pushes things back in the other direction. At a time when Supergirl is back and gaining more fans by the minute, Power Girl fans would certainly hope PG could carve out her own place in the DCU before possibly languishing in obscurity (or worse--lets not forget this is the modern era DC).

The Ultra-Humanite thing is just plan poor. Its "fire the writers off the title poor".

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
I just read 2-4...

While the fact that I let the issues pile up in my pull-sack (heh!) surely speaks that issue 1 didn't blow me away, I like the book better than some here.

Karen's adorable.

I'll agree with Cobie about this-- without the truly mesmerizing art of Amanda Connor, I would likely be close to dropping the book. And yeah, the rebooted origin for Ultra-Humanite didn't cut it with me, either.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
PG#7's not listed in the Sept-for-Nov solicits... :/

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
Palmiotti already said the book's not cancelled. And this was after the August Solicitations for November were released.

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
And my claims have been verified.

Behold the December solicit in all their busty glory.

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/090921-dc-dec-09-solicitations.html

--------------------
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I think the solution is to spin-off PG's boobs into their own comic! [Yes]

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

That'll be easy for Connors to draw.

--------------------
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement

Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I really wanted to like the new issue as much as I liked the first two issues, but I just couldn't. The story's all over the place, the jokes fall flat, and Amanda's art isn't up to her usual standards (I think that last one holds true for last issue as well, and makes me wonder if she's better off not doing a monthly.)

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
OK, I read 5-7 in one sitting.

I've come to the conclusion that this book is pure fluff.

I've also decided I don't mind that. Fluffy can be fun. And fluff drawn by Amanda Connor? Hecks yeah!! I'm sticking with it for now. It will be nice to have some fluff to read amid all the zombies rising and stuff.

I was especially tickled by her latest foe/potential love interest/idiot in # 7. Some weird cross between Hercules and Thundra.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Woo hoo! Good to hear your support, Lash. Everyone knows when you back a book, it's golden.
From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

I can't believe they actually reintroduced the Blue Snowman. I almost died of joy.

--------------------
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement

Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
i love this book. it just makes me happy.
From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Sarcasm Kid:
I can't believe they actually reintroduced the Blue Snowman. I almost died of joy.

I was nowhere near death, but I did enjoy finally reading about a character I've only seen mentioned. I always thought she had some potential, just from brief character bios I've read here and there.

Her 'rescue' from decades-long limbo reminds me of that slate of brought-from-the-golden (and even silver and bronze!)-age villains used in HAWKMAN before that title became HAWKGIRL and was cancelled.

What are *they* up to these days?

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doublechinner
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doublechinner   Email doublechinner         Edit/Delete Post     
The first Vartox issue was incredibly amusing, between Vartox and the Blue Snowman, what a hoot! I'm not sure it illuminates much about PG's character, though. I mean, has there been anything surprising, interesting or revealing about her behavior so far? It just seems too shallow, somehow. Aside from a hint of nice interraction with Dr. Midnite, there were really no interesting character bits for PG, just the typical anger/outrage straight-man routine.

--------------------
...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"

From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
But, whats wrong with that? Seriously. Every once in a while, its nice to read a book that's just pure fun, that isn't a "shocking reveal" every issue or so.

I think there was something nice and personal that no one really seems to get. PG was choosing to hang out with the Doc. Makes you wonder if nothing else.

Like Lash said, its very nice, fun, lighthearted fluff. Baywatch was about as serious a tv show as a clowns flower button, but it was fun for people to watch. Xena...pure escapism. Sometimes, ya just sit back and let the waves of enjoyment wash over you. Thats what I'm doing, anyway.

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.