Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Kewl moments of Comics Past (Page 4)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Kewl moments of Comics Past
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Recent kewl moments:

Quite suddenly the X-Men find themselves fighting side by side with Colossus, recently returned from the dead. After a scene verging on a tear-jerker with Kitty, they all fight together against Ord of the Breakworld until it looks like he's about to get away. Cyclops or Beast utters something along the lines of there being no way to get to him, until Wolverine looks at Petey and smiles, saying, "well, I've got two words for you..." Next scene, with absolutely no dialogue (no need to say it), we see Colossus hurl Wolverine through the air, as the fastball special reminds me why I still love the X-Men.

After Mia heart-breakingly talks to Green Arrow about her condition of having contacting HIV, she has a subsequent talk with Connor, who tries to tell her it will be OK. Finally, she admits that now she's worried that no boys will ever want to be with her again, and that she is now 'dirty'. In possibly the sweetest scene of the last year or so, Connor walks over with no words and kisses her on the lips, despite his not having the same feelings toward Mia that her crush on him has suggested.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Some recent kewl moments that popped into my head...

-- when the THUNDERBOLTS revealed that they were actually the MASTERS OF EVIL... and then that some of them were actually going to become heroes was the kewlest of kewl moments. It's a good thing I read that issue indoors, otherwise I'm sure I would've had a fly zoom into my jaw-drop opened mouth.

-- a similar moment occurred when I read the trade collecting the first half-dozen issues of THE RUNAWAYS... the status of those kids floored me, as well. (There really oughta be a THUNDERBOLTS/RUNAWAYS crossover, IMO...)

-- The last page of YOUNG AVENGERS #1 approached that jawdrop reaction... and subsequent issues have had their own jolts. I have a feeling that this title could well yield several kewl moments in the years to come.

-- A less iconic moment that I found kewl occurred in the JLA/TITANS miniseries a few years back wherein Wally West, THE FLASH, sided with his oldest friends, the TITANS against his more current teammates, the JLA.

-- Kewl moments in the making= the return of SAND and the redemption of OBSIDIAN in JSA... both characters need a defining moment to cement slowly moving 'arcs'.

Gotta agree with the CELESTIAL MADONNA sequence from THE AVENGERS... get that TPB, if you haven't read this story-- it's a doozy.

I thought it was kewl seeing The BEAST from the X-MEN join the AVENGERS. QUICKSILVER, POLARIS and others opening up to a therapist (was it Doc Samson? I forget...) in Peter David's run on X-FACTOR was kewl.

THE ATOM's brief resurgance in several DC titles a few months before IDENTITY CRISIS was kewl. I hope his eventual return will be, too.

I'm surprised how many moments I've listed are Marvel moments... hmmm.

What would the opposite of a kewl moment be?

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
profh0011
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for profh0011   Author's Homepage   Email profh0011         Edit/Delete Post     
FANTASTIC FOUR #27 -- "The Search For Sub-Mariner!" Namor, lovesick, declares his intentions to pursue Sue Storm. His loyal men, shocked, desert him. Namor kidnaps Sue. Reed returns from the jewelers, having just bought an engagement ring, only to find Ben & Johnny pulling themselves together, then learns what happened. Reed goes BERSERK!!! He warns the other to stay out of it-- this is PERSONAL between him and Namor. Ben & Johnny are shocked, since Reed's always the calm, intelligent, un-emotional one. Desperate for help, Johnny puts out a call for Dr. Strange, who arrives in his ectoplasmic form. Ben tries to grab him to emphasize the urgency of their situation, but his hands go right thru...

"How can ya reach out to somethin'-- and touch nothin'? I must be losin' my grip-- or is it my marbles??"

Jack Kirby was so inspired, nearly every panel of this story is worthy of being a pin-up-- a pity the art was nearly ruined by the very rushed inks of George Roussos, who was doing money-short Stan Lee a favor, inking on weekends for half-price. Imagine-- inking 10 PAGES a DAY!!! No wonder they looked so bad...)

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brainiac 5
Cobalt Kid's Spell-Checker and Pain in the Rear

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brainiac 5   Email Brainiac 5         Edit/Delete Post     
Kewl, huh?

Daredevil-Born Again. This story ranks as one of my all time favorites. By far the best character story Miller ever wrote. Matt Murdock stripped of everything except a heartbeat. The Kingpin triumphant. When you take away everything he has, what makes a man a hero? Plus, it has IMO the kewlest line in comic history: "And I-- I have shown him...that a man without hope...is a man without fear."

--------------------
There's room for all God's creatures...right next to the mashed potatoes!

From: the Detroit multi-lab | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Viridis Lament
Cenobyte. Cthulhu. God.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Viridis Lament   Author's Homepage   Email Viridis Lament         Edit/Delete Post     
Rom #24-25. Rom returns to his homeworld, only to discover it had fallen into enemy hands. Then Galactus shows up. Battle ensues and Rom ends up losing his humanity. Also tres kewl in this arc was the apperance of many new spaceknights.

Legion - the revelation of Sensor girls identity!!!
Legion - Ferro Lad's death vs. the suneater. That story blew my mind the first time around. Awesome villians finally ending in a noble sacrifice.

Animal Man - the coyote bible story. Perhaps not kewl, but extremely funny

Recent moments.....hmmmm, in the current Authority series there is an awesome moment in washington dc. Can't say what it is though, don't want to give any spoilers for anyone who hasn't read it. All i will say is i turned the page and my jaw literlly dropped.

From: Fort McMurray | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Brainiac 5:
Daredevil-Born Again. This story ranks as one of my all time favorites. By far the best character story Miller ever wrote.

My favorite Miller/ Daredevil story EVER!! It's hard to pick a moment, but one of the most unforgettable was actually his introduction of the Avengers! He totally captured their status as modern gods walking the earth ("A voice that can command a god ... and *does*"), which very effectively contrasted with who Daredevil was.

quote:
Originally posted by dedman:
Rom #24-25.

Hey! A "Rom" fan! I *loved* Terminator (that poor bastard)!! I remember trying to find Clairton, West Virginia on the map when I was a kid.

One cool moment that popped into my head for some reason was the one panel splash of Alan Scott in JSA as he reclaimed his rightful name of *GREEN LANTERN!!* ("now and forever" .. or something like that)

[ May 10, 2005, 08:19 PM: Message edited by: DrakeB3004 ]

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
armsfalloffboy
huh?

Icon 1 posted      Profile for armsfalloffboy   Email armsfalloffboy         Edit/Delete Post     
Mordru revealed in JSA was pretty cool.

Cliched and all that, but the final scene of the Dark Phoenix storyline when the Watcher comes in and provides the epilogue to the death of Jean Grey.

This is so NOT on anyone else's list, but Atlantis Attacks was the first time I followed a companywide crossover, and was my introduction to a whole lot of Marvel characters.

Another X-Men moment: The end of Inferno, with Maddie dead and a very confused group of mutants--the X-Men were considered dead by everyone, X-Factor were supposed to be mutant hunters, Magik gone, Maddie's memories absorbed by the resurgent Jean Grey, etc. The last really good X-Crossover.

The Subs save Earth, Earth gets blown up. One of my favorite Legion stories.

"Eat it, grandpa!"

Mon-El takes out the Time Trapper, despite the fact that it will erase him from existence.

End of an Era--the finale always gets me--Long Live the Legion, fade to white.

Wildfire blows up his costume when Dawnstar leaves--"Dawny!!!"

This one is only cool because of the revenge and the "Oh, NOW I get it" factor: In the second League of Extraordinary Gentlemen series, when Hyde finds, rapes, and kills the Invisible Man. Absolutely chilling.

The final battle between the Squadron Supreme and the Redeemers in the original limited series. SSupreme was the first series I went into the back issues of my comic shop to find. Still among my favorites ever.

I can't remember where exactly it was that it came out, but the discovery that Cable was Nathan Christopher Summers was pretty kewl.

"A Midsummer Night's Dream" from Sandman. Will Shakes and company perform the play for the actual Oberon and Titania, while a real and much more menacing Puck works his mischief.

Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow is one of the greatest stories ever.

--------------------
The only consistent feature of all of your dissatisfying relationships is you.

Don't judge me!

profh0011
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for profh0011   Author's Homepage   Email profh0011         Edit/Delete Post     
Speaking of companywide crossover...

FF ANNUAL #3 -- "Bedlam At The Baxter Building!" / the wedding of Reed & Sue.

One of my favorite bits in this is when, following a fight inside the Baxter Building, Reed runs into his lawyer Matt Murdock in the lobby, and tells him he'd be best off sitting down and taking a rest. So Matt decides to unwind-- as Daredevil. One minute on the street, and he runs across a speeding truck carrying an atomic bomb, on which a group of armed thugs are being told, "Hurry! Hydra will pay you DOUBLE if we flatten the Baxter Building within the next 5 minutes!" D.D. takes care of the Hydra goons, commandeers the truck, and drives off with it (a blind guy driving a truck-- great image, huh?).

Meanwhile, as if every other super-villain in the country isn't already heading to attack the Baxter Building at once, down at the docks, undersea barbarian warlord ATTUMA has picked that moment to attack NYC. At that moment, the speeding truck driven by Daredevil arrives at the pier, he drives it off the edge into the river, where, he thinks, "It'll explode HARMLESSLY." Yeah, right! It explodes-- taking Attuma's entire invading army with it-- and D.D. never even knew!

And this was just one "minor" interlude in the whole story-- which, incredibly, took a measely 23 pages to tell.

Kid Metal \m/
Um, active?

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Metal \m/   Email Kid Metal \m/         Edit/Delete Post     
Captain America and the Falcon #185, I believe, in which Cap doffs his identity as the Nomad to take up the mantle of the defender of liberty again. That final page splash of Cap by Frank Springer, grim and determined to avenge his replacement who'd been ritually killed by the returned Red Skull, was incredibly compelling to my young eyes.

The T-Bolts revelation also dropped my jaded jaw when I first read it.

A minor Avengers moment, but my first one, so it remains a fave: Avengers 144- the Assassin slipped Hawkeye some poison to get by him so he could complete a mission, only to be disarmed by the bowman later, who admitted that the only reason he was alive was the fact that his sensitive stomach caused him to vomit up the poison before it could have it's fatal effect.

--------------------
I used to get high on life, but I built up a tolerance.

From: Kansas City | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
profh0011
Applicant

Nice moments, Kid Metal. A few points...

Frank Robbins was the guy who took over from Sal Buscema in the middle of Steve Englehart's Nomad story. Sal had done almost every issue during Roy Thomas' run as editor. The minute Len Wein took over, the book went into creative-team turmoil. Robbins was best known for the JOHNNY COMET newspaper strip (I think) and later as writer of many early-70's BATMAN stories, including when Dick Grayson left to go to college. He also pencilled several SHADOW comics, where his style seemed very out-of-place when compared with Mike Kaluta's. Similarly, his "cartoony" style was initially CONDEMNED by most C.A. fans, though his later runs on THE INVADERS, HUMAN FLY and MAN FROM ATLANTIS are probably thought better of.

Herb Trimpe did the issue following the one you described; but strangely didn't stick around. Robbins & Sal Buscema continued to do issues, until Jack Kirby returned to Marvel, which I recall at the time feeling was a HUGE improvement over the issues following Steve Englehart's abrupt departure.

The 2-part Assassin story was by Tony Isabella. Most of his early writing tended to be overly-wordy and overly-jokey. A good example was the POWER MAN issue where Luke Cage fights the super-villain whose name he'd unknowingly begun using. A punch sends Cage flying in a full page spread, with the narrator saying, "This is an example of terse writing." Pages later, Cage returns the favor, the narrator says, "This is an example of a lazy writer trying to get away with murder twice in one issue." The 2-part AVENGERS story was, I recall, the first time Isabella tried to play things straight, AND keep his mouth shut for the most part!

DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
During Simonson's run, Asgardian warriors storming Hel with M-16's. That was kewl!

"God Loves, Man Kills" graphic novel, Wolverine does the "two claws on either side of the face" thing for the first time, "Wanna go for three?" Yeah, that was SO kewl!

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Gotta echo Arms' praise of the SQUADRON SUPREME maxiseries.

And now, a single comic that is equal parts funny, heartbreaking, touching, thought-provoking and infuriating.... and totally kewl.

The CRISIS had just ended, causing much continuity damage all over the DCU, but especially in a little comic called INFINITY INC, and especially with a primary member of that team named Lyta Trevor AKA Fury, daughter of the golden-age Wonder Woman and Steve Trevor.

Golden-age Steve and Diana had no longer EVER officially existed by the end of Crisis... but how then do we explain Lyta's memories of them?

In a tale that is primariy a flashback, Lyta remembers back when the JSA gathered at her parents' house for a wingding at the White House. Lyta was about 10 at the time. Joining her were 3 other "JSA brats" and future members of Infinity Inc, Rick Tyler (son of Hourman), Al (Nuklon) Rothstein and Hector (Silver Scarab) Hall, son of the Hawks.

Well, needless to say, the 4 preteens engage in a few hilarious adventures before being busted out by the JSA.

Dsperately clinging to her childhood memories and full of despair, Lyta falls into a tearful sleep.

And then, the single most horrifying non-violent moment in comics I had or HAVE ever read...

Lyta's despair is so intense, it has touched the mind of fellow InfInc-er Brainwave Jr. He enters Lyta's bedroom and completely eradicates her memories of her Mother and Father with his powers.

Lyta's next panel shows her no longer crying, but sleeping with a smile cuddled up to her baby Kanga, while Brainwave Jr. prays he has done the right thing.

I never have forgiven the bastard for it.

INFINITY INC # 27: An absolutely amazing comic.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
profh0011
Applicant

In a connected and spooky moment, over in ALL-STAR SQUADRON (somebody look up the issue # for me), a group photo of the entire membership of the group is taken, developed, put into an envelope and mailed off to FDR...

...but when he opens the envelope and looks at the photo, it's been CHANGED by the alterations in the timeline. (No more Superman, no more Batman, no more Wonder Woman..........) Excuse me, what was I talking about just then? Can't seem to remember...

profh0011
Applicant

LEGENDS OF THE DARK KNIGHT #15-- Prey (part 5) -- Hugo Strange, dressed in a Batman costume and molesting the Mayor's daughter (a dead ringer for Marina Sertis), is confronted by the REAL Batman, who, to his utter frustration, has NOT gone insane from all his scheming. He runs out of the building, where he is suddenly GUNNED DOWN by Gotham Police, who still have a shoot-on-sight order issued against Batman (he forgot he was wearing the costume!!!). Was there ever a better bit of poetic justice? And this was BEFORE the big 9-page kung fu fight with Strange's brainwashed stooge started...
profh0011
Applicant

Just re-living this as part of my 60's Marvel re-reading project...

TALES OF SUSPENSE #60 (Dec'64)-- In the previous issue, Tony Stark's armor momentarily failed him, and he almost DIED. He get so paranoid, he's afraid he can no longer take his armor off. Natutally, his employees get suspicious when he disappears and his armored "bodyguard" is reportedly given authority to run the factory.

AVENGERS #10 (Nov'64)-- The group ask Iron Man if they can help regarding the disappearance of Stark, since Iron Man is under SUSPICION of either kidnapping or murder! He assures them nothing's wrong, and it'll be taken care of-- soon.

SUSPENSE #61 (Jan'65)-- Happy discovers Stark at home-- in bed-- "sick". (Actually, he's hiding the fact he's got his armor on under the blankets.) Happy STILL suspects something's not right-- since Stark looks SCARED-- not sick. The news that Stark is at home, broadcast on TV, was not such a good thing to do... as The Mandarin uses the info to target Stark's house with a KILLER SATELLITE, blowing his house to pieces, and presumably taking Stark with it! Iron Man barely escaped in time-- but Happy STILL wonders if somehow, he wasn't responsible. IM, meanwhile, tracks the route of the blast to China, and goes there to confront his ARCH-ENEMY-- and is prompty beaten, captured, and strapped to a revolving table. But before he dies, he's gonna be forced to endure an ORIGIN story...!!!

AVENGERS #11 (Dec'64)-- The group is dismayed at the news of Stark's apparently death-- and while Thor wonders why Iron Man hasn't asked for their help, Giant Man and Captain America explain it's a matter of honor that he feels he must solve the case on his own. (Iron Man appears on this issue's cover-- but is NOT to be found inside! That's because, clearly, it takes place at the SAME TIME as SUSPENSE #61-- or maybe even between #61 & 62, if you wanna look at it that way. I guess DON HECK drawing both series really helped here!)

Now, the interesting this about this is, I was able to read these 4 stories in the OBVIOUSLY correct order.... ONLY by putting THE AVENGERS issues one MONTH behind the cover dates. Someone pointed out in a magazine article how the book, for years, was inexplicably one month behind every other book Marvel put out... and I've discovered, they were right!

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.