Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Ultimate Spider-Man(Ultimate Spider-Man Miles Morales) (Page 5)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Ultimate Spider-Man(Ultimate Spider-Man Miles Morales)
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
After checking out Ultimates and Ultimate Hawkeye and coming to the decision I wouldn’t be going forward with those titles, I now focused on the one Ultimate title I never stopped buying, Ultimate Spider-Man. As I said earlier in the thread, I had made the decision to stop collecting it but then held off on that decision when I heard about the introduction of a new Spider-Man in the UU, Miles Morales.

Sidenote: I’ve seen masses of complaints over the death of U-Pete and his replacement by Miles. Most are along the lines of ‘how could you kill a beloved character that is decades old to replace him in order to create diversity?’. My reaction is “um, this isn’t the real Peter Parker. So what the hell are you talking about?” I’m perplexed how people could feel that way; they obviously were not truly collecting USM and are just trying to use this to justify their own beliefs. But clearly, USM was not a beloved, decades old franchise. This is nonsense.

Meanwhile, USM #1 introduces Miles Morales and gets his story started. Some flashbacks at the beginning of the issue tie the story into previous Spider-Man drama by showing how Norman Osborn and Ultimate Deadpool are a factor in Miles’ origin. The first issue feels quite a lot like the very first issue of Ultimate Spider-Man.

But what it comes down to is this: this is the most Brian Bendis-ish story I’ve seen from the writer in quite awhile. It is so Bendis, it hurts. In other words, if you like Bendis, you’ll love this. If you dislike Bendis, you’ll hate this. Clearly, the writer is sticking with a formula of what has worked for him in the past. The pacing, dialogue, build-up, interactions, etc. are all the usual writing tools Bendis applies to his stories, particularly Ultimate Spider-Man.

What does that mean for me? I’m not sure that’s enough. Because I was already willing to drop the Peter Parker version of this series; this one doesn’t feel too much different. I think I’ve just moved on from USM. There is nothing wrong with the series: it’s well-written, well-drawn and introduces a new, interesting character, but its just missing something.

I may stick around for #2 and see if it grabs me. I like Bendis but he isn’t my favorite; but sometimes he can really blow me away with his story-telling and make me glad I buy his stuff.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RED-001
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RED-001   Email RED-001         Edit/Delete Post     
Before I begin,I need to ask a favor of this board's moderator and founder,Can I start a NEW thread on the new Ultimate Spider-man(Miles Morales)since want to keep things in perspective and differentiate the two?

Now onto my question...
What do think of the arc, Death of Spider-man?

Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Speaking as one mod of this forum, I'd be reluctant to endores another Ultimate Spidey thread being started. Though I can see the point of doing a new one with the change under the mask and the restart, I feel that LW at large hasn't shown a big enough interest in the Ultimate Universe and Ultimate Spidey to merit another new thread. I mean, we've had six months of inactivity between your post and the previous one, so my inclination is to just keep the one thread.

But I'm only one mod, so their opinions count as well....

As for the "Death" arc, I only bought the final part of that story, but i wasn't terribly impressed by it. Pete's death seemed a little sudden, brutal and unmemorable to me. This is speaking as a guy who has generally loved Bendis's work on this title and who owns around 140 or so issues of that book's run to date.

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I'd also say keep it one thread.
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RED-001
Applicant

Sounds like the people have spoken! [Smile]

Alright then,even though he's new to the job,do you think that Miles Morales can live up to Peter's legacy?

Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
One thread works. You can edit the title to reflect the new direction and what page to start at if need be.
From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RED-001
Applicant

From this thread onward will be devoted to the second Ultimate Spider-Man Miles Morales.
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.