Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » The New Avengers (Page 6)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: The New Avengers
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by DrakeB3004:
quote:
Originally posted by Stealth:
Did any Alpha Flight members survive?

Luckily, they haven't actually said that anyone's dead (yet). Lying there with your eyes open rolled into the back of your head doesn't look good, but that's not concrete - they were beat up pretty bad, but nothing that can't be undone at this point.
Thanks. I hope that turns out to be the case.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Okay. In spite of the whole pointless and mean-spirited Alpha Flight business, I decided to give the next issue, # 17, a chance, to see if Bendis could deliver on his promise of a battle with a cosmic-level enemy instead of the usual spies and ninjas and ten million guest stars having 20-page conversations.

First, the good points:

Mike Deodato's art. I'm still amazed at how much he's improved over the years. No more Jim Lee swipes, thank God. Iron Man looks especially impressive.

The coloring. Finally, an issue a whole variety of colors, instead of just brown and red.

Now, the bad points:

I get the impression Bendis doesn't like women. We've had the whole Evil Wanda nonsense; we've Spider-Woman turn out to be a double agent, and now she's reduced to making monosyllabic comments ("Touched down?" "Oh my god." "Too late?" "There where?"); and, worst of all, we have Ms. Marvel screwing up the attempt to negotiate with the villain by attacking him recklessly.

The villain says his name is "Michael", and he doesn't reply when Iron Man asks him if he's Korvac. I admit to having an intense personal dislike for the Korvac Saga, so this isn't very promising to me. But at least the confrontation isn't taking place inside a ^%$%^#$##@ suburban house.

The early pages, with Luke Cage talking (and talking and talking and talking) about how the team is going to police the streets. It brings back bad memories of the Larry Hama/Rage issues; plus, this scene takes place in Detroit, adding insult to injury by recalling JLA Detroit.

I gave Bendis the benefit of the doubt, but in the end, I came away feeling the same as before.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm still waiting for Purdy to show up.
From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
NEW AVENGERS #20

I skimmed through this at the comic book store. I'll probably buy it, making it the first NEW AVENGERS book I've bought in quite awhile.

Fans or those with a casual interest in MAGNETO will want to browse through this at the comic shop, at the least. With every month, Wanda's little tantrum is more and more dissipated. I also leafed through a preview copy of the adjectiveless X-MEN. Interesting that NA 20, SON OF M 6, and this X-MEN issue all come out within a month of each other. Can a Wanda appearance be far behind?

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
So, is he dead or alive? Three guesses...

Quake? Future Avenger material? The membership *is* supposed to shift, next issue.

I think it'd be a hoot if Magneto applied!

At last, the details are somewhat about Xorn and Xorneto are addressed. I know it's not true for everyone, but they satisfied me. I didn't buy Magneto as the nutjob that destroyed much of New York that we saw in Morrison's last X-men work, so laying that all to rest while propelling new story works. For me.

This new guy who didn't know he was a mutant, received all the powers of The Collective (Hmmmm- related to another Marvel Collective? Wasn't there one that fought the Defenders? And Iron Man, maybe?), and wiped out Alpha Flight is another Avenger 'maybe'.

I'm disappointed that we didn't see the fates of Alpha Flight addressed. Who, if any of them, survived?

I think I'm ready to let go my distaste for the use of Wanda and give NEW AVENGERS a chance on an ongoing basis. Avengers membership shakeups are always fun, at any rate

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

I picked up #24 for the INHUMANS appearance. I don't know a lot about Sentry, who was the main focus of the story, but I did enjoy this glimpse into the character.

What was fun was the mocked-up cover for a never-printed Sentry/Inhumans meeting from the 70's.

spoiler
space

spoiler
space

spoiler
space

spoiler
space

spoiler
space

What the Inhumans apparently don't know in this issue is a little iffy... and I thought they'd declared war on the U.S. and not the *world*... but it was a decent appearance. There's a fun 'feast' scene, and a surprising romantic revelation.

Also, more and more it seems like the Inhumans have been on the moon for *generations*, rather than a few years. No wonder they're isolationist.

At first, I winced at the revelation that Sentry and Crystal had had a short relationship before she married Quicksilver. But, you know, the fact that she couldn't remember it due to Sentry's memory wipe could explain why she's drifted from relationship to relationship. Searching for something she felt but couldn't identify in her memory?

I always thought her healthy libido was a positive thing, really- but most fans apparently don't. In addition, she's an Inhuman. In this issue, she makes the statement 'but only on Earth, right?' when Sentry says he's married.

It's good to see Lockjaw back 'in touch' with his mistress, after The Thing's series and SON OF M.

It was disappointing that Crystal's career as an Avenger went unmentioned. She'd be pulled in many directions by CIVIL WAR and the upcoming SILENT WAR (whatever that's going to be). But we aren't really seeing this. I thought the art sort of hinted at it when she was approaching Sentry with Black Bolt's headpiece-thingie as an invitation... her facial expression and posture was evocative of *some* feeling or other.

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
So, latest Avengers, featuring Hawkeye and the Scarlet Witch?

Thank you Mr. Bendis--you owed us this one. I'm intrigued and I want more, and I'm willing to be patient as it unfolds. But I've wanted Clint and Wanda back, and I think there's hope for both, so let's see what happens.

Wanda has never, ever, looked more lovely than here.

Hawkeye was absolutely great. He has had so much potential to be the 'leading man' in the last 40 years, and I think here its actually pulled off for once.

I dislike the thought of Clint & Wanda together, but for story purposes here, it fit.

Love Wundagore Mountain as a setting. Let's see what happens next...

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wndola1
Ex-Female Fury

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wndola1   Author's Homepage   Email wndola1         Edit/Delete Post     
With the exception of Newuniversal, runaways and x-factor I am gonna try and stay away from marvel altogether until Quesada is out. I feel a distinct lack of respect towards the characters, the writers and women in general right now and I am so waiting for Pam to wake up and find Bobby in the shower to tell her the last few years have all been a bad dream.

--------------------
http://twitter.com/wndola
http://www.diversionarium.com
http://wndola.livejournal.com

From: New England | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
WTF?!?!?! So how many Avengers has Wanda slept with? She and Crystal have become rather liberated women. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the sex. But is that the only way writers can show her relating to males?

Suddenly the Ultimate Scarlet With and Quicksilver seem normal...

From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doublechinner
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doublechinner   Email doublechinner         Edit/Delete Post     
Yeah, I swore off all Marvel (except for Dr. Strange The Oath!) after Civil War #whatever, where Reed Richards, the smartest man on earth, drew the complete wrong conclusion about the McCarthy years. I still feel really good about my decision. I miss the FF, the Avengers, and Spidey, after having been away from them for years, but I won't sanction the kind of character rape they've been subjected to lately. Eventually, the power of the characters will overcome the cretins writing them at the moment.

--------------------
...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"

From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
Soooo, Clint and Wanda have now been together,
Wanda has been with Vision and Wonder Man,
Clint has also been with Jan
Jan's also been with Tony and of course Hank
(and Simon and Beast have probably done stuff [Wink] )

Am I missing any hookups between major Avengers?

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
oh, so what does everyone think about the upcoming membership (or the three that have been revealed thus far)?

Click Here For A SpoilerI really couldn't care less about Echo and I feel like Bendis is crazy trying to get us with yet *another* "who's the Ronin" mystery! (this one better have a good payoff!) Dr Strange could be interesting, but he'll always seem more like a Defender.

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spellbinder
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spellbinder   Email Spellbinder         Edit/Delete Post     
It just seems less and less like the Avengers. I can't wait for Young Avengers to come back, so that I can read an Avengers title again [Smile]

--------------------
Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs

From: Penthouse atop Levitz Hall, LMBP Plaza, Embassy Row, Legion World | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by DrakeB3004:
Soooo, Clint and Wanda have now been together,
Wanda has been with Vision and Wonder Man,
Clint has also been with Jan
Jan's also been with Tony and of course Hank
(and Simon and Beast have probably done stuff [Wink] )

Am I missing any hookups between major Avengers?

Wanda and Cap slept together during the Disassembled storyline. (I'm not sure if it was in Cap's book, or the Cap & Falcon title.)
Quicksilver and Crystal obviously (and she's been linked with Johnny Storm, Bobby Drake, and now The Sentry.)

From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Sounds like the next book should be called As The Avengers Turn.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.