Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Justice Society of America (spoilers!) (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 34 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  32  33  34   
Author Topic: Justice Society of America (spoilers!)
superboymddjr
Quiet member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for superboymddjr   Email superboymddjr         Edit/Delete Post     
As extracted from DC Comics Message Board - certainly have at least two Legion connections there - Hmmm here it comes:

Speculate away! Click Here For A Spoiler-World War III. Just a Splash Page with no real clues to 52.
-Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman ask Wildcat, Green Lantern and Flash to start up the Justice Society; “The Justice League is a Strike Force. The Justice Society is a family”.
-Mr. America gives us his origin in his thoughts.
-Mr. America’s wife and two sons are killed.
-Flash and Green Lantern are picking the new team. Wildcat wants no part of that as He does not feel that he is the Society's moral compass
-Damage fights Rebel in Philly and takes out a police car while doing it. In the background that appears to read “Wacker 52% off. Going out of business”. Damage partially blocks the sign but you can still make out most of it.
-Hourman and Liberty Bell ask Damage to join the Society. When asked what they can offer him, they tell the police to bill the Society for the car.
-Mr. America finds and beats up Catalyst.
-Ma Hunkel’s granddaughter is offered a position on the Society. Maxine is a jabber jaw.
-Starman saves a helicopter from crashing and then flies back to a mental hospital.
-Stargirl and Dr. Midnight arrive at the hospital to offer Starman a position on the team and to hopefully help him sort out the “voices in his head”.
-“There’s a star on Thangar. I dreamt about it. HA! 52!”
-Starman
-Mr. America gets beaten up and thrown through the roof of the Society’s headquarters
And lands on the conference table where most of the team is getting ready to meet.
-Flash and Green Lantern show Wildcat they claim is his son.

Coming this year in Justice Society of America; four panels

-Batman is outside of Arkham Asylum with some of the Society.
Batman “What else did you see Sandman”?
Sandman “I saw you, Batman. Torn to shreds inside those walls”
-This appears to be Dawnstar’s right arm with Legion ring. “I have to go. I have to track down Starman”.
-Powergirl at Kal-L’s grave with an arm coming up from the grave.
-Kingdom Come Superman “It never ends for people like us”.

[ February 16, 2007, 04:27 AM: Message edited by: Fat Cramer ]

From: Hayward, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
superboymddjr
Quiet member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for superboymddjr   Email superboymddjr         Edit/Delete Post     
whew made sure that it 's well hidden inside the spoilers box.

I am sure that there is someone will run and let a certain winged fan favorite know that he needs to buy JSA #1. [Smile]

From: Hayward, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tekwych
Magikal Mystikal Wych!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tekwych   Author's Homepage   Email Tekwych         Edit/Delete Post     
From the press release:
But just as the Society welcomes the rookies into their ranks, an evil force sets out to destroy them. Meet new legacies, solve a mystery stretching into the far future, witness the return of the world's greatest hero, and watch another one fall - all in the pages of this fantastic new series!

I also have a 6 page preview.

--------------------
I take pride in my mental instability.
Go! Figure

From: New Mexico | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
I wanted to avoid spoilers but do they explain why Damage now appears to have a biohazard symbol on his chest?
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mhr_kara
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mhr_kara   Author's Homepage   Email mhr_kara         Edit/Delete Post     
i can't wait until this issue arrives in the mail for me! [Big Grin]

but i couldn't wait and read the spoilers on the DC message board(which really didn't spoil anything major).

and as to the changes to Damage's costume, didn't Alex Ross redesign/design a lot of the costumes on this relaunch? [Smile]

From: Earth-247 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spellbinder
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spellbinder   Email Spellbinder         Edit/Delete Post     
Check out Geoff Johns message board for behind the scenes scandals! Fans are outraged by a variety of interpretations of something Alex Ross said in an interview, sparking 2 or 3 threads of debate and even a report being filed to GLAAD! You just can't buy free publicity like that! [Wink]

--------------------
Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs

From: Penthouse atop Levitz Hall, LMBP Plaza, Embassy Row, Legion World | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Spellbinder:
Check out Geoff Johns message board for behind the scenes scandals! Fans are outraged by a variety of interpretations of something Alex Ross said in an interview, sparking 2 or 3 threads of debate and even a report being filed to GLAAD! You just can't buy free publicity like that! [Wink]

I must be missing some backstory here. How by any stretch can that Alex Ross quote be interpreted as "anti-gay" or even as referencing sexual identity?

http://www.wizarduniverse.com/magazine/wizard/002614557.cfm

http://www.comicbloc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39803

[ December 05, 2006, 08:30 PM: Message edited by: Blockade Boy ]

From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
I would say it was the use of the phrase "get molested further". I would say that the poster on the blog is jumping the gun to describe it as thinly veiled homophobia. I think that the word "molested" is what does it. Because many people who are anti-gay make the claim that gay people molest children and/or were molested as children. I suspect that if Alex Ross had instead said "been written badly" there would be no controversy.

One way that this could be taken is that Obsidian being openly gay in Manhunter is how the character has been "molested".

Personally, I would say that making Obsidian crazy and a villian was how the character had been "molested".

I would say that Alex Ross does need to clarify his statement.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tamper Lad
With the Scarlett Faction

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tamper Lad   Email Tamper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Andreyko the writer of Manhunter is gay. The implication is that a gay writer is 'molesting' a 'straight' character by making him gay and having him come out in that book.
From: Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spellbinder
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spellbinder   Email Spellbinder         Edit/Delete Post     
Personally I think Alex Ross needs to get over himself. If half of what I have heard about him is true, you'd think he was the New God of Comics. I do like his art, but it's far from being a favorite of mine.

Personally, I would rather have someone else doing covers for JSA. His covers that I've seen so far, while cool, look more like posters than covers.

In any case, whether or not I like this title will have nothing to do with him.

[ December 06, 2006, 12:28 PM: Message edited by: Spellbinder ]

--------------------
Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs

From: Penthouse atop Levitz Hall, LMBP Plaza, Embassy Row, Legion World | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Spellbinder:
If half of what I have heard about him (Ross) is true,...

Actually, comments like that tend to put me off more than what Ross is quoted as having said (again, this is me not being clear on the context). Those are the kind of words used to start witchhunts based upon presumption and supposition. Is this what that poster "joey" is doing. Does this poster perhaps have dislike for Ross based upon things he's "heard" or is there real reason to believe Ross has an agenda here? Doesn't supposition fairly get applied to accused and accuser?

In short, Ross' comments are being taken as objecting to the character being changed to "gay," correct? Is this a wide response or just that of a few overactive message boarders?

I took the comment to mean that in Ross' opinion, Johns would take good care of and be true to the character. Isn't that something fans usually want?

Regardless Ross mind, I think the OP of that post is off the deep end. A mature someone with honest concern with the intent of Ross' comments I think would ask for clarification before organizing a witchhunt.

However it settles, I agree with Spellbinder. This constructed controversy can only benefit the book, I'd be more likely to pick it up just to be part of the discussion than I would to boycot. Also, liking the title wouldn't have so much to do with the covers if the inside is crap and poster type covers wear thin on me after awhile.

From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tekwych
Magikal Mystikal Wych!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tekwych   Author's Homepage   Email Tekwych         Edit/Delete Post     
To be honest I have not followed Obsidian for years but in the original Infinity Inc. I felt the character was created gay. Actually more sexually unsure, just as he was unsure about his origins, his place within a team, and his place within society.

--------------------
I take pride in my mental instability.
Go! Figure

From: New Mexico | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matthew E
Suprmetrician

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matthew E   Author's Homepage   Email Matthew E         Edit/Delete Post     
Okay, I just read this comic book. And it was good. But never mind that.

I want to know what is the deal with Starman and I particularly want to know what is the deal with Dawnstar. What are you doing to continuity, DC? I mean, always nice to see Dawny, but it makes me uneasy when things get screwed around with like this. Should there be a thread for this in the SLOSH forum?

--------------------
Legion Abstract

From: Ontario | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
Well, I don't think it warrants a new thread. But, a mention in this topic may be in order. [Smile]
From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Oh darn, now I'll have to go look, but they'll probably be out by time I get there....

drat, should have had it pulled.

This topic comprises 34 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  32  33  34   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.