Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » The Ultimate Universe-Love It or Loathe It

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Ultimate Universe-Love It or Loathe It
RED-001
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RED-001   Email RED-001         Edit/Delete Post     
What do you love or loathe about the Ultimate characters-the way they're portrayed or altered?

Do you love of loathe the following:

Peter Parker,Kitty Pryde and Johnny Storm all being the same age

Dr.Doom being a direct descendant of Vlad Tepes Dracul

Ben Riley as an African-American lab assistant to Curt Conners(or was it Eddie Brock,Sr.)

Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch having an incestuous relatonship

Nick Fury as an African-American

Jessica Jones as a student at Midtown High

Wendell Vaughan(Quasar) as a SHIELD security chief in Wyoming

Jennifer Walters(She-Hulk)as a scientist

Wasp as a mutant

Captain America's costume

Spider-Woman as a teenage clone using the name Jessica Drew

You're more than welcome to make your own Ultimate Universe love it or loathe it lists! [Wink] [Smile]

Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
I generally loathe the Ultimates Universe, but liked it more when it was an alternative view of the world. Now that the 616 continuity is, if anything, even grimmer and nastier than the Ultimates continuity, it just looks silly.

One thing I love about the Ultimates universe is the portrayal of Thor. He's got his own worshippers all over Europe, and now in America as well, and yet the vast majority of people in the world think he's a marketing stunt, or a lunatic, anything but an actual mythological diety come to earth.

Other than that, unfortunately, I really don't like the portrayals of Ultimate Cap, Ultimate Pym, Ultimate Hulk (okay, it was a neat concept, but at the end of the day, I don't want to read about a 'hero' who threatens to rip people's heads off and crap in their skulls, or **** them to death), etc.

Ultimate Tony Stark is still heroic, sympathetic and interesting. What's up with that? 616 Tony is *way* more Ultimate!

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Prime
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Prime           Edit/Delete Post     
Loved it in 2002, now loathe it.

--------------------
White. A blank page or canvas. His favorite. So... many... possibilities.

From: Birmingham, AL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wamu2
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wamu2           Edit/Delete Post     
I liked the Ultimate Universe at first. I enjoyed the Ultimates and Fantastic Four. but over time the delays and resulting story apathy caused by the delays had led me to no longer read them.

also, I am taking bets as for when Ultimate Wolverine vs. Hulk will ever finish. talk about poor planning.

From: chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
I love the Ultimates. I actually enjoy this version of the FF more than the 616 FF. Don't know why I just enjoy the stories more (though i love the 616 FF characters more).

The Ultimate Vision is pretty cool. I think the 616 Vision suffers too much from retcons. I liked the Ellis minis.

I can't stand Ultimate X-Men.

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
The Ultimate Universe is basically the only way I can read about Peter Parker anymore right now, so I love it for that.

Ultimates rocks. Ultimate X-Men SUUUUUUUCKS! Ultimate FF has been highly entertaining. Pretty much all other Ultimate characters introduced have been weak though (Ultimate Daredevil, Moon Knight, Shang-Chi, etc.).

The idea of it at first was something I didn't like. But good storytelling made me warm up to it and like it. But in my opinion, and I agree it might be overly harsh, is that in order for it to justify its existence we need (A) the best stories possible and (B) the best stories possible for the real characters in the 616 universe, which we aren't getting.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Hm, almost two years later than my above post.

Well, the real Spider-Man comics are actually much better than they used to be, but I do still enjoy Ultimate Spider-Man. But now with all the changes going on, we'll see.

I dropped all other ultimate books. All three detiorated in quality, and Loeb's Ultimates as a joke.

"Ultimatum" is killing off several Ultimate heroes. But the question is: who cares? From the get-go the sense that 'these were never the real characters anyway' was always there unless the writers went out of out way to make us feel something for them. And they did that several times. But the minute that's taken away, the readers will care even less than normal I'd suspect. That's what happened with me. So its all shock and awe with Ultimatum, which I dropped after #2.

I do want to still reccomend USM #1-130 for one really great WTF? full-on action teen drama series that was always fun.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RED-001
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RED-001   Email RED-001         Edit/Delete Post     
Have you read the much delayed Ultimate Hulk VS. Wolverine mini-series? For those who haven't,go to the Wikipedia article on Ultimate Shulkie...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/She-Hulk#Ultimate_Jennifer_Walters

Now what's you're opinion of her? [Smile] [Hmmm?]

Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I loved the Ultimate versions of Colossus and Northstar- especially when the regular Marvel heroes were dead.

I really loved Ultimate Crystal and would've become much more of a Ultimate-universe fan if she'd popped up a couple of times.

I loathed Ultimate Valkyrie. Maybe her lot improved in appearances past her skanky debut.

In general, I think the energetic impetus behind the line's debut has faded.

I love the sales it brings the company I work for (Barnes & Noble), for which Ultimate Spider-man and Ultimate X-men are among the highest selling graphic novels year after year.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stephbarton
Possibly an evil Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stephbarton   Email stephbarton         Edit/Delete Post     
I read some of Ultimate Spidey and Ultimate X-men, I honestly thought Ultimate X-men was too radical for my tastes in that the X-men were all about trampling on people's rights for the "greater good." Yikes.

I liked Ultimate Spidey but Bendis' writting style got to me after awhile (some issues were really dense, others were really light, and the dialoge, while realistc was really annoying). So I decided to get the trade route and then never bothered to get the trade (eh, go figure).

I'm not one for grimmer and darker comic books, so I never got into Ultimates. The reason I liked Ultimate Spiderman was because it was a lot lighter and more fun than the real Spiderman (which was giving us the Gwen twins, yuck, at that time).

That said, I think the expansion of the Ultimate line is what eventually hurt the line. Ulitmate Daredevil, Ultimate Moon Knight, etc. takes away from the unique aspect of the universe. I dunno, I just think it stopped being fresh (a victim of it's own success perhaps?).

And again, I don't like grim and gritty and heros I can't stand and want to die and go away, so I don't think anything beside Ultimate Spidey was geared to me anyways.

--------------------
Long Live the Legion!

Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Yeah, Marvel's doing Ultimatum to more clearly distinguish it from the "main" Marvel Universe. Now, I don't know how much it may have already been declining prior to Ultimatum, but I feel making it more unrecognizable and different from the other will actually kill it in the long haul. I think people like the Ulyimate U as much for how similar it is to the other as much as for how different it is. Because they're taking away the former and accentuating the latter, I wouldn't be surprise if the Ultimate U ceases publication within 3 or 4 years max. This in effect makes the Ultimate line more of a "What If?" and less of an alternative Marvel U.

Oh well, at least we had memorable runs from Bendis & Bagley on Spidey and Millar & Hitch on Ultimates while it lasted.

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
i never got into the ultimate universe, i like the ultimates alot though for what it was. action and art. it never offended me because i didn't really believe they were the real avengers.

i hate ultimate wasp. she in no way compares to the real wasp. that character is detrimental to little girls and boys. and big ones too.

i like the take on ultimate thor, i think the take on ultimate tony/iron man is "a been done before but more realistically"

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

I also think this will kill the Ultimate line now. It'll be pretty much gone by 2015.

But its the natural way of things. Millar and Bendis eventually moved over to the 'real' Marvel Universe and basically were given free reign to do what they wanted, so for them personally there was little difference for what could be done in the Ultimate Universe vs. the regular Marvel Universe. Probably the major difference was Spider-Man is still a teenager over there. Introducing regular Marvel characters in an 'ultimate version' got old really fast.

Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
Holy hell, Ultimate Comics X #4 preview!

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=8010&disp=table

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.