Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » Can You Pass the U.K. Citizenship Test? (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Can You Pass the U.K. Citizenship Test?
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Well, can you?

BBC News

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I scored 11, a seat in Parliament.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blue Battler
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Battler   Email Blue Battler         Edit/Delete Post     
I got 6, seat on the district council.8-)
Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
7 - I guess I'll stay where I am. Don't have much taste for a District Council seat (there or here).

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bevis
Feeling nostalgic

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bevis   Email Bevis         Edit/Delete Post     
I got 12, but some of those won't be in the actual test because the history stuff has all been removed. The questions that they have published though are pretty bloody stupid (where do the Geordie, Scouse and Cockney accents come from? Stuff like that). There are questions about the Church of England, which I think implies that they expect you to be CofE to count as a proper citizen, and the question about who is the head of the Church of England has caused major ructions because the answer on the quiz apparently is the Monarch but the Palace and parts of the Church have said it's actually Christ (fair enough) another part of the Church has said it's the Archbishop of Canterbury and the government officials have um-ed and ah-ed about it without being sure of the right answer. All very stupid.

--------------------
Truth and Justice shall Prevail!
(Unless Tamper Lad Screws it up...)

From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thor2168
Cute-Baby-Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for thor2168   Email thor2168         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm a dumb American, and should stay that way. A four.

--------------------
I just can't BLOK it out!

From: The land of toys and stinky diapers!!! | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tamper Lad
With the Scarlett Faction

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tamper Lad   Email Tamper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Has the UK citizenship law been changed to conform with the European Human Rights Code? My understanding of the old law is that there is only one "citizen" of the UK. The rest of you are subjects to that persons whims.
From: Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KidChaos
Reservist

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KidChaos   Email KidChaos         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Tamper Lad:
Has the UK citizenship law been changed to conform with the European Human Rights Code? My understanding of the old law is that there is only one "citizen" of the UK. The rest of you are subjects to that persons whims.

As a Canadian, you are too.
[Razz]

--------------------
"are you forgetting that I was a professional twice over- an analyst and a therapist. The world's first analrapist."

-Tobias Funke

From: MI | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Wow, I got 8 right, and I'm a stupid American pig (SAP for short).

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tamper Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tamper Lad   Email Tamper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by KidChaos:
quote:
Originally posted by Tamper Lad:

As a Canadian, you are too.
[Razz]

Nope our citizenship has been changed. We are Citizens of Canada, not subjects of the Crown. We only swear loyalty to Her Majesty, her heirs and successors.
From: Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bevis
Feeling nostalgic

I think they dropped the bit about swearing loyalty to the crown and the Church and just have an allegience to the country. Of course those of us already born as citizens don't have to do any of the test or swearing any kind of allegience or... well, anything, to prove that we're worthy of being citizens. We just have to live here and pay taxes. Watching the news yesterday where they were asking some of the questions on the test of regular people on the street if they were anything to go by (and my answers to the questions in the papers) almost everyone who already lives here wouldn't pass the test. I find the whole thing a bit ridiculous to be honest, and I think quite a few other people feel the same way as well.

As to the status of us actually being citizens... haven't got a clue. I don't feel any loyalty to the crown and I'd be seriously pissed off if anyone tried to make me swear any kind of allegience to it or to the flag. I don't 'serve' any country or head of state. I pay my taxes and vote as is m duty and all that sort of stuff but I don't feel any particular allegience to a notion of state or country.

--------------------

From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
Yep. I'd burn a Union Flag before swearing loyalty to it or "The Crown"

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stu
Time Trapper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stu   Email Stu         Edit/Delete Post     
7!

I guess I'm not as much of an anglophile as I used to be.

(But I bet I'd score higher on the Canadian citizenship test...)

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tamper Lad

Knock yourself out...

http://www.yourlibrary.ca/citizenship/

Bevis
Feeling nostalgic

I did ten questions and got eight right on the Canadian one. I was quite pleased with that, and I think the only one I actually guessed (the one about the Bill of Rights) was one of the ones I got wrong. It has to be said though if the questions I got are representative of all of the ones in the test it does seem slightly more relevant than the ones in the UK test.

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.