Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » A stranded Legionnaire's cry for help (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: A stranded Legionnaire's cry for help
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Quislet, Esq.:

Hitting a Home Run ... is sexual intercourse.

What!!!

I hit a home run and all I got was a pat on the ass from some old coach.

I'm pissed.

From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Positive Man
Negative Creature

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Positive Man   Email Positive Man         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Set:
quote:
Originally posted by Yellow Kid:
As I see it, with "no outs" the guy is saying it's almost impossible NOT to score. Even a walk gets someone to home plate.
Not only that but if things fall out the right way everybody gets to score.

'Bases loaded' definitely gave me the 'multiple partners at one time' vibe.

Or maybe I just got that vibe all on my own...

I feel the same. Thank you all for all your input and feel free to add to it.

--------------------
The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears that this is true.

From: Lisbon | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Positive Man
Negative Creature

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Positive Man   Email Positive Man         Edit/Delete Post     
Ok, this is me, back with a vengeance, for the same reasons. Thank yous aplenty beforehand to whoever is willing to give me a hand with this.

The author of the week is Joyce, namely, his 'Ulysses'. (I know, fairly mondo-big stuff). Whoever has read the book is bound to remember Jimmy's [Smile] description of Bloom's drawers' contents. Both are hard but the second drawer has been killing me with it's insurance policies mumbo speak; here are the texts that I need help with:

A)

"an endowment assurance policy of 500 pounds in the Scottish Widows’ Assurance Society, intestated Millicent (Milly) Bloom, coming into force at 25 years as with profit policy of 430 pounds, 462/10/0 and 500 pounds at 60 years or death, 65 years or death and death, respectively, or with profit policy (paidup) of 299/10/0 together with cash payment of 133/10/0, at option"

Right. It starts getting blurry with 'coming into force at 25 years as with profit policy...'.

1-Does "coming into force" mean "payable" or "valid" after 25 years?
2-What about "as with profit policy"? Does it mean something "Under the form of", maybe?
3-And what does "or with profit policy (paidup)" bloody means?

B)

"certificate of possession of 900 pounds, Canadian 4 percent (inscribed) government stock (free of stamp duty)"

1- The "Canadian" appplies to the government stock (not to the currency) right? Maybe to both?

2- I gather that the 4% are the interest rate of the investment (and maybe I'm wrong). But what does "(inscribed)" mean? Is that percentage is written on the stock itself?

C) Last doubt, I swear [Wink] :

"a bazaar ticket, no 2004, of S. Kevin’s Charity Fair, price 6d"?

1- What in Tartarus does the tiny 'd' stands for? How much is this price, fully written?

Thank you all (and long live him, a truly literary giant).

--------------------
The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears that this is true.

From: Lisbon | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.