Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » NBC...ehhh. (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: NBC...ehhh.
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
The problem with 'revelant' TV, comics or other things is there is a tendency for creators to think something is good just because its relevant. The 70's definitely proved that when something is executed poorly it still pretty much sucks, no matter what message its trying to get across.

Substance assuredly does not equal 'relevancy'.

As someone who really doesn't remember much of the 80's, let alone not being alive for the entire 70's I can tell you this. The 70's seem like a dysmal era of TV. So do the 80's. The 90's kind of too. But the 60's seem oddly groovy. And the 50's seem like they just rocked.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
[shrug] I agree somewhat with EDE's comparison of the 1950s and 1960s to the Silver Age-- except for me it works like this:

In either case, a little goes a long, long way. Whereas with the TV or comics of my own "prime," I can usually view them over and over again and still get a lot from them.

I'd much rather watch MASH and All In The Family one more time than the stuff from before I was born. One of the reasons that the early "relevant" TV perhaps doesn't hold up well (for some) is because the novelty of the subject matter has been lost. What was completely unusual then is commonplace now, but I don't think it's only the shock value of talking openly about "isms" that made those shows so special.

YMMV.

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
Also I'll add that, yeah, the further back you go, the better things look. But one reason for that, at least before the advent of youtube and fansites for every damn thing (no matter how obscure), is that over time, a lot of cream got skimmed off and enshrined somewhere; the below-par stuff was quietly tossed out, never to be seen again.

My parents used to assure me that popular "everything" was better in their day, but a realistic assessment tends to prove that every era has had hugely popular yet substance-and-merit-free fluff produced by total hacks. Anyone who says otherwise is a damn liar.

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
I got cable just to be able to watch Babylon 5. Since then, there've been maybe two shows that I loved unreasonably, and those are Buffy and Supernatural.

I've *liked* lots of other shows, and watched them regularly, including Fringe, Bionic Woman, Terminator: SCC, the various Star Trek franchises (of which DS9 was the best, for me), Farscape, Eureka, Angel, Heroes, Dollhouse, Firefly, Earth: Final Conflict, Andromeda, Earth: Above & Beyond, Alien Nation, Tek War, Stargate, Smallville, Birds of Prey, Legend of the Seeker, etc., etc.

But really, back 'in the day,' there were quite a few shows on that I liked as well, in all my kiddishness, such as the Incredible Hulk and Misfits of Science and V and Lost in Space or the old Battlestar Galactica or Buck Rogers or whatever. I've always been into that sort of stuff, and would watch pretty much any of it.

Back in the day, whole years could go by without a good sci-fi / fantasy / supernatural show, but these days, there's a half dozen of them on, as well as a plethora of halfway decent non-supernatural themed shows like Life and Burn Notice.

It's kind of an embarassment of riches. There are *superheroes* on my TV screen! It used to be like, Wonder Woman, or the Incredible Hulk, and then a whole lotta nuthin.' Now we've got Smallville, which may not be great cinema, but has guest-appearances from versions of Green Arrow, Aquaman, the Flash, Black Canary, Zatanna and some yobs from the future who call themselves the Legion of Super-Heroes!

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
The problem with 'revelant'...

...Is that it's not a word. Welcome to the world of Cobie-isms! [LOL] [Wink]

( [Hug] s Cobie )

And NBC is $#!+ since they screwed SCRUBS over. So there. :hmph:  - ABC for the win!

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.