Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » TV Final Episodes (Page 3)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: TV Final Episodes
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks, Scott. I had no idea the pilot had ever aired. I wish I had seen it.

John Gabriel is a little too good looking for the Professor. I don't think he could have pulled off the aloof indifference to sex that Russell Johnson did so well.

If you hadn't captioned the photos, I would have assumed that Ginger was Bunny and vice versa. Kit Smith was quite attractive, but possessed none of the larger-than-life glamor of Tina Louise. Nancy McCarthy looks a little too mature for the "girl next door" image of Mary Ann, though maybe they were going in a different direction with Bunny.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Here's a link to download the opening credits in MPEG style. And here is a wav of the original opening song. More of a calypso tune telling the tale of the skipper, two secretaries, a high school teacher and two millionaires on a six hour ride. And of course Gilligan.

[ November 18, 2003, 10:29 AM: Message edited by: Lightning Lad ]

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stu
Time Trapper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stu   Email Stu         Edit/Delete Post     
Even putting aside my bias -- the fact that I'm used to seeing the Professor, Ginger, and Mary Ann as we know them -- I still objectively think that they were a MUCH better choice than that other professor, Ginger, and Bunny.

"Two secretaries," indeed! The Hollywood starlet-innocent farm girl dynamic was classic.

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
I've also seen this show called (I believe) Dusty's Trails, which was basically Gilligan's Island set as a Western. It was about a small Wagon train that had gotten permanently lost on their way out West. It had characters corresponding to the characters in Gilligan's Island (and I believe Bob Denver was Dusty), and featured dialogue/jokes recognizably in the same style as GI.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
I've also seen this show called (I believe) Dusty's Trails, which was basically Gilligan's Island set as a Western. It was about a small Wagon train that had gotten permanently lost on their way out West. It had characters corresponding to the characters in Gilligan's Island (and I believe Bob Denver was Dusty), and featured dialogue/jokes recognizably in the same style as GI.

Yep. Dusty's Trails it was. Bob was Dusty and Forrest Tucker was Mr. Callahan. It also starred Ivor Francis as Mr. Carson Brookhaven, Jeannine Riley as Lulu McQueen, Lori Saunders as Betsy, Lynn Wood as Mrs. Brookhaven and William Cort as Andy. Ran for 26 episodes in 1973.

It was created by Elroy and Sherwood Schwartz.

[ November 18, 2003, 07:10 PM: Message edited by: Lightning Lad ]

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stu
Time Trapper

What?! How... alternate universesque!

You'd think they'd at least run some episodes on Nick at Nite or something... [Eek!]

Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
It really was a kind of "Elseworlds" Gilligan's Island. I think the couple of episodes I've seen were on TVLand. I'd always assumed it was a forerunner of GI, rather than a rather oddly-conceived attempt to follow-up its success.

What struck me is howly recognizably Gilliganesque it seemed, even ignoring the presence of Bob Denver and the one-to-one correspondance between the characters on it and the castaways.

[ November 18, 2003, 10:31 PM: Message edited by: Eryk Davis Ester ]

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
profh0011
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for profh0011   Author's Homepage   Email profh0011         Edit/Delete Post     
"It really was a kind of "Elseworlds" Gilligan's Island."

And all these years, I thought LOST IN SPACE was a GILIGAN'S ISLAND "Elseworlds" (or is that the other way around???). After all, in both, you have a group that's stranded somewhere, one major IDIOT causing trouble, an eternal wish to get back home that NEVER happens, and both shows ran the SAME 3 years without being resolved.

In fact, incredibly, BOTH shows were renewed for 4th seasons-- but cancelled AFTER-the-fact, which meant neither cast was able to have "farewell" parties at the end of their final seasons. (But at least Sherwood Schwartz fought like hell for years to do the reunion/finale. Irwin Allen STOOD IN THE WAY of several attempts to do a similar sequel with LIS, saying "If anyone's gonna write a script for it, it'll be me." He kept saying that until he, like Guy Williams, had passed on...)

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by STU:
Thanks, Drake! I'll post my thoughts after I've had a chance to watch all the TV episodes -- there aren't that many of them, I think...

There aren't. Only ran for two seasons, IIRC. Ended becasue they finished the story they wanted to tell.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Speaking of alternate universe Gilligan's Islands, I once had a dream about one ...

It was a TV show in which Alan Hale played the title role, "Skippy" -- he looked exactly like the Skipper, but, instead of wearing a captain's hat, he had a mane of shoulder-length black hair. Instead of commanding a boat, he flew a small charter plane.

Gilligan was his first mate.

There were several passengers on board, including a seamstress with long black hair with a white streak (looking somewhat like Lily Munster).

Inevitably, the plane crashed on a deserted island, and "Lily" made the most of it by sewing an American flag.

Strange that I remember that after all these years. I must have had a Gilligan obsession. Or a long, black hair fetish.

Any other Gilligan dreams or alternate realities?

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

quote:
Originally posted by He Who Wanders:
Thanks, Scott. I had no idea the pilot had ever aired. I wish I had seen it.

John Gabriel is a little too good looking for the Professor. I don't think he could have pulled off the aloof indifference to sex that Russell Johnson did so well.

If you hadn't captioned the photos, I would have assumed that Ginger was Bunny and vice versa. Kit Smith was quite attractive, but possessed none of the larger-than-life glamor of Tina Louise. Nancy McCarthy looks a little too mature for the "girl next door" image of Mary Ann, though maybe they were going in a different direction with Bunny.

Don't know if you are still interested in seeing the original pilot Greg but today they released the first season of Gillagan's Island on DVD and it include's the pilot.
Stu
Time Trapper

Remember the animated Gilligan's Planet?

It was about as amusing as the animated Laverne & Shirley Join the Army...

DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
No, but I remember Gilligan and Skipper in space...
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Director Lad
aka Sudro Brown II

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Director Lad   Email Director Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
My favorite T.V. finales are from the eighties. One changes everything; one doesn't change a thing.

Magnum P.I.: Magnum rejoins the Navy to support his daughter, who he thought was dead. Rick gets married, and Higgins admits that, yes, he is Robin Masters.

Hill Street Blues: A fire damages the precinct house, raising the possibility that it could be razed and replaced by a new building. Crimes are solved, Furrilo fights Daniels, and at the end of the day, business continues as usual. The last shot of the series is Laurence Tierney, as the night sergeant, answering the phone with a gruff "Hill Street." Absolutely perfect.

A few others some to mind as well:
Barney Miller: The detective squad at the old "one-two" is reassigned after the city announces that the building has been condemned. Wojo ends up on the canine squad. the last shot is Barney briefly remembering the various detectives who have worked there (in quick flashbacks), then shutting off the lights and leaving the now empty squadroom.

Homicide: Life on the Street: Bayliss murders a murderer, packs his desk, and leaves the squad.

Cowboy Bebop: I won't spoil the actual story, but the ending is mindblowing.

I love series finales. I absolutely hate it when a series ends with no resolution. In the seventies and eighties that seemed to happen more often than now, though.

From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
I loved the "Cowboy Bebop" ending as well though I wished Faye and Jet had bigger parts.

Btw, was anyone here a "Farscape" fan? I hear some folks are pretty upset about how that ended.

[ February 04, 2004, 03:17 PM: Message edited by: DrakeB3003 ]

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.