Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » Ghost Rider Movie Official Thread...SPOILERS (Page 3)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Ghost Rider Movie Official Thread...SPOILERS
Blue Battler
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Battler   Email Blue Battler         Edit/Delete Post     
'Cause there are a lot of comic book fans without a sense of humor.

And if they think that Ghost Rider is the worst super hero movie they've never seen the Cathy Lee Crosby Wonder Woman movie...

Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Blue Battler:
'Cause there are a lot of comic book fans without a sense of humor.

And if they think that Ghost Rider is the worst super hero movie they've never seen the Cathy Lee Crosby Wonder Woman movie...

Or Fantastic Four. Or Elektra. Or Cat Woman.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I finally got around to seeing this movie.

I wouldn't say it's the worst super-hero movie ever made. But then I haven't seen every super-hero movie ever made.

My main problem with the movie is that it's so superficial and predictable. The original comic book series had Johnny Blaze seeking the devil himself, then his soul being by spared by Roxanne (who was pure of heart). Johnny then spent his time trying to avoid being taken by the devil and battling the hordes of hell sent against him. The movie strips any sense of originality from the character and turns him into a combination of a Nasgul from "Lord of the Rings" and The Spectre. In the early issues of the comic, Johnny often puts on an act as the "spirit of vengeance"; here, it's taken more literally.

Nicolas Cage is an actor I've enjoyed watching in other movies (notably "Moonstruck"), but here he's too ham-handed to be credible. At first Johnny is created to be quirky character, but later he just comes off as dumb or over the top.

I could give a laundry list of things I didn't like about the movie (interminably slow pacing, cardboard villains, a love interest who is equal parts airhead and doormat), but I think my biggest gripe is, whereas most Marvel films remain true to the spirit of the characters while changing a detail here and there, "Ghost Rider" has no spirit (pun not intended). It just goes through the motions of special effects and motorcycle carnage without any real story.

And would someone please find something else for Sam Elliot to do besides portray the same slow-talking, wise mentor he's played ever since "Road House," if not before?

Rating: [Razz] [Razz] [Razz]

[ June 25, 2007, 10:48 PM: Message edited by: He Who Wanders ]

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Hey, I like Sam Elliot as a slow-talking, wise mentor! [Big Grin] The Big Lebowski is one of my favorite movies ever.

Still haven't seen this one. Debated picking up the HD-DVD that was advertised but, since it is a Sony title, only Blu-Ray is available.

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I didn't see The Big Lebowski, but if you liked Elliott in "Road House," you'll like him in "Ghost Rider." He plays essentially the same character with a comparable amount of screen time.

--------------------

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Actually, I've never seen Road House. At least not all the way through. Not much of a Swayze fan past Red Dawn.

[ June 26, 2007, 12:40 AM: Message edited by: Lightning Lad ]

He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

I'm not a Swayze fan, either. "Road House" is just a guilty pleasure.

--------------------

rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
I liked it. Yeah, it was a little different, but still, it was what it was, summertime style fare meant to be a popcorn movie.

I sometimes think that we as comics fans (notice i include myself, just not about this particular movie) take ourselves and the comics far to seriously. He's a flamin' skull on a hellbike. Its not theatre in the round, lol.

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

I'm all for super-hero movies that aren't taken too seriously, rick. I loved "The Incredibles" and the movie about the super-hero academy of two years ago (I'm drawing a blank on the name).

But "Ghost Rider" was just poorly written, poorly conceived, and poorly acted, in my opinion. I don't mind popcorn movies, but I do like most of my kernels to be cooked! [Smile]

--------------------

DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
FINALLY saw it on DVD today. Since my expectations weren't high, I wasn't too disappointed, but it's not a very good movie. I mainly just wanted to see how GR came to life onscreen. I thought GR looked pretty good for the most part, but like I said in my previous post after seeing the preview, I would've liked it better if he weren't so ... smooth.

It's too bad they didn't use Zarathos, but I can understand them leaving that out. The Faustian aspect of the origin is probably enough without explaining who Zarathos is and going through the whole process of them existing together.

My biggest problem with the story is that after that big battle/chase with the cops, nobody has a problem getting into Johnny's apartment even though they all say the cops and everyone's looking for him and they obviously know where he lives since that's where they arrested him.

I kept thinking maybe they should've went more horrific and gone for an "R" rating. I know it's not usual, but "Terminator" was an "R" and it kicked ass...

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.