Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » "Smexy" '60s/'70s music videos (Page 3)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  12  13  14   
Author Topic: "Smexy" '60s/'70s music videos
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Re: Arthur Brown

During the '70s, Ozzy Osbourne was asked in an interview if he liked KISS. He said he did not, as KISS's stage show had been done years before by Arthur Brown.

One of the few times Ozzy has made sense.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Here's some very early Fairport Convention, from when they were known as "the British Jefferson Airplane", before they developed the folk rock style that they are most known for.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks for posting the link, Eryk. I'd seen an early Fairport video before, but it wasn't quite as long as this.

Fairport Convention has a fascinating history. The female vocalist in this video, Judy Dyble, was replaced later the same year by Sandy Denny, who became something of a legend in British folk rock. Drummer Martin Lamble was killed when the band's van tumbled off the highway a year later.

Iain Matthews, the male lead singer, left the band in '69 and went on to a successful solo career. In the U.S., he is best known for the 1978 hit "Shake It, Baby."

Lead guitarist Richard Thompson also became successful as a soloist, while bassist Ashley Hutchings co-founded Steeleye Span (see Page 1 of this thread, though he had left before "All Around My Hat") and the Albion Country Band.

A version of Fairport Convention exists today, but only guitarist Simon Nicol remains from the lineup in this video.

--------------------

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

As I recall FC holds an annual folk rock festival in Britain.

Judy Dyble is also significant for her involvement with Giles, Giles, and Fripp, the band which morphed into King Crimson.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

This isn't a 60s/70s video, but it's interesting, because had you gone to see the Plastic People of the Universe in the 60s/70s, you would've risked ending up in prison! Most of the members of the band spent time in prison themselves, and they were one of the main inspirations for the anti-communist movement in Czechoslovakia. And now we can watch them on Youtube!
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
As I recall FC holds an annual folk rock festival in Britain.

They do. It's at the village of Cropredy.

quote:
[QBJudy Dyble is also significant for her involvement with Giles, Giles, and Fripp, the band which morphed into King Crimson. [/QB]
Another connection is that Dyble used to date Ian MacDonald, who was an original member of King Crimson and Foreigner.

--------------------

cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
This isn't a 60s/70s video, but it's interesting, because had you gone to see the Plastic People of the Universe in the 60s/70s, you would've risked ending up in prison! Most of the members of the band spent time in prison themselves, and they were one of the main inspirations for the anti-communist movement in Czechoslovakia. And now we can watch them on Youtube!

I've got some clips of them on iTunes! [Cool]

Joy of Cooking: featuring Terri Garthwaite and Toni Brown "going electric" long before modern audiences would think (thanks to idiot critics with no sense of history), singing, "Don't the Moon Look Fat and Lonesome" (1972).

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Wonderful song, cleome, from a wonderful group.

Makes one realize how bland Top 40 radio has always seemed by comparison.

--------------------

cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
[sigh]

Yeah. And yet... it's very accessible music, very danceable and so on. (Same with Stuart's stuff.)

You can never overestimate the caveman mentality of marketers, though. A couple of years down the line, IIRC, the Wilson sisters would be pitching their band to a major label and be told, "Well, we already HAVE a woman artist. So..."

[beats own head against the wall for three hours]

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

The first popular band I was ever aware of was the biggest U.S. band of the early '70s, Three Dog Night. Although all of their videos are available on youtube, I really like this one-- a wonderful song made even better by Danny Hutton's clowning around at the end.

--------------------

Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by He Who Wanders:
another connection is that Dyble used to date Ian MacDonald, who was an original member of King Crimson and Foreigner.

McDonald is also a guest on Dyble's late-2009 record Talking With Strangers, as is Robert Fripp.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Interestingly enough, I was just listening to this performance of a track off that album earlier tonight.
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
As a kid in the 70s, I was lucky to get to go to summer camp each year at Camp Clover Point on the Lake of the Ozarks. There was swimming, canoeing, archery, crafts, softball, and a dance every night. I remember dancing myself silly to this number in the sweltering Missouri heat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3XGjnQgsJA

LOL - Man, I wish I could go back to that feeling.

[ May 16, 2010, 09:00 PM: Message edited by: Jerry ]

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

I watched the same video not an hour ago! "Little Willy" is one of my favorite songs. I have the sheet music and used to be able to play that riff.

--------------------

Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
It's an awesome riff!

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  12  13  14   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.