Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » Alias 2001-2006 (Spoilers) (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Alias 2001-2006 (Spoilers)
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
The season premiere is this Thursday.

I must confess I was almost afraid to post about this, given the level of anti-Alias (or rather anti-Seasons Three, Four and the upcoming Five) venom on other boards. But since this is one of the few nice, reasonable boards, I'm going ahead with the post.

I have no expectations, I'm just going to wait and see how the premiere is.

My personal perspective is this: I am a latecomer to Alias. The first season that I watched was Season Four. I enjoyed it a lot. Yes, some of the stand-alone episodes were weak, but other stand-alone episodes were great (I love "Nocturne.") And I was exactly the kind of viewer they were trying to bring in, the viewers who wanted to get into the show but were having trouble jumping in because it was so complicated.

I've caught up with Seasons One, Two, and Three through renting the DVDs at Blockbuster. I think they all have their good and bad points. The following are all IMHO:

Season One has lots of action and consistently good stories, but I think it's pitched at too hysterical a level.

Season Two feels like a transitional season, like they're still trying to find the best way to structure it; the writing is more uneven that Season One. On the other hand, it has the awesome Irina Derevko. It also has some of Sydney's best disguises -- I love the scene in "Endgame" where she just runs into a pharmacy and instantly transforms herself into a sorority girl.

Season Three was a little dull as far as disguises and such, but the writing was consistently good once again, and they finally found the right structure.

Season Four is kind of a cross between Two and Three -- the writing was uneven once more, the disguises were great once more, and the structure was still in place.

Season Five? Time will tell.

[ January 17, 2006, 06:03 AM: Message edited by: Stealth ]

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
I still like the show a lot and am looking forward to the new season, but my enthusiasm for the show has waned. I didn't realize there was such rancor in the internet for the other seasons though.

I agree that Irina Derevko was one of the highlights. I also like the cat & mouse game that happened between the super-spy couples, Syd and Vauhgn vs. Sark and Vaughn's wife. It gave the show some needed twists that come with being a double-agent that was kinda lost when Syd went over to the real CIA.

I was really disappointed with the resolution to the whole "two years later" storyline though. It seemed really anti-climactic and almost tacked on just to remove it as a plot point.

I for one am glad Syd's sister is in a coma. I think her presence diluted the impact of the storyline. Unfortunately, I thought the resolution to the whole Rimbaldi prophecy thing was also really anticlimactic.

The show still does its best work when dealing with the characters and their interaction. It's the spy-stuff that's been lacking lately. We'll see what happens now with this new twist on Vaughn and Syd's pregnancy (I wonder if Rimbaldi had anything to say about that?).

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by DrakeB3004:
the cat & mouse game that happened between the super-spy couples, Syd and Vauhgn vs. Sark and Vaughn's wife gave the show some needed twists that come with being a double-agent that was kinda lost when Syd went over to the real CIA.

I was really disappointed with the resolution to the whole "two years later" storyline though. It seemed really anti-climactic and almost tacked on just to remove it as a plot point.

I for one am glad Syd's sister is in a coma. I think her presence diluted the impact of the storyline. Unfortunately, I thought the resolution to the whole Rimbaldi prophecy thing was also really anticlimactic.

The show still does its best work when dealing with the characters and their interaction. It's the spy-stuff that's been lacking lately. We'll see what happens now with this new twist on Vaughn and Syd's pregnancy (I wonder if Rimbaldi had anything to say about that?).

The bizarre love quadrangle* was one of my favorite things, too. I, too, found the Two Years Later resolution a letdown, but I liked the Rambaldi outcome (and of course Syd's pregnancy has something to do with it -- there's still more to be fulfilled.)

And I liked Syd's sister Nadia. The Season Four episode where they go on a mission together ("Detente") is one of my favorites. I hope Nadia gets out of her coma sometime this season, even if she only appears once or twice.

*I couldn't resist -- I'm a New Order fan, and Bizarre Love Triangle is my favorite song of theirs.

[ September 29, 2005, 09:13 AM: Message edited by: Stealth ]

--------------------

DrakeB3004

About the Rimbaldi storyline resolution, I should say that it was really cool to see the whole family together jumping out of the plane about to take on that giant red ball and a city full of crazed zombies -- that was really cool even if the way things ultimately ended fell short for me.
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Yeah, nothing could ever quite top that skydiving scene.

As for the Season Five premiere, I'm happy to say that my lack of expectations paid off.

S
P
O
I
E
R
S
P
A
C
E
S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S
P
A
C
E

Great opening scene, picking up right where the crash left off, with Sydney getting into a gunfight with enemy agents pretending to be an ambulance crew.

The new enemy organization, Prophet Five, has operatives deep inside the U.S. government itself. Could lead to some interesting plot developments.

For most of the episode, it looks like this season will be about Sydney and Vaughn trying to clear Vaughn's name while adjusting their relationship for their baby.

Then, Vaughn is brutally shot down. He doesn't survive.

So, the rumors have turned out to be true. Michael Vartan has left the show. Even knowing the rumors, I still didn't see that shocking twist coming.

Where the show goes from here remains to be seen, but it's a very promising start.

And I'm very glad that Allison Shapker and Monica Breen are still the show's main writer/producers (yes, I'm one of those viewers who pays way too much attention to the credits -- they were story editors during Season Three, then promoted to writer/producers in Season Four. They've written many of my favorite episodes, and clearly have a definite role in the show's general direction.)

[ September 30, 2005, 07:08 AM: Message edited by: Stealth ]

--------------------

DrakeB3004

It's sad that Vaughn is gone. So Syd is now 2-2 when it comes to dead fiancees hm?

I was kinda hoping the discovery of Vaughn's true origin would be more of an ongoing thing (with Vaughn on the outside, Syd on the inside and them having to be all secretive again like season 1), but it's answered right away and honestly, the new storyline doesn't seem interesting to me (especially since it sounds a lot like Rimbaldi again). Hopefully things will pick up when we find out what part Sloan will play this season and how Syd's pregnancy will affect things (I can't imagine it'll be good though -- how irresponsible would she be to go on missions in her condition?).

I really don't get how that guy was able to fake being FBI and pass security checks etc. when all it took was a phone call to find out that he had been "off the grid" for two years. It's not like nobody knew he was a baddie. The new "anti-Marshal" chick might be an interesting new element.

So, basically I'm not excited about the new season but I'll wait and see.

Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

I should have taped it, then I could watch it again and I'd probably have an explanation for how the Prophet Five guy was able to pass for FBI. But I'm sure it's something to do with Prophet Five being a government conspiracy.

I read somewhere that Sydney will not be doing a lot of field work this season, in order to accomodate Jennifer Garner's RL pregnancy, and the new cast members will be handling most of the action stuff. I personally like the idea of Sydney shifting into a mentor role. And I have no doubt that her pregnancy is some kind of final link to Rambaldi, which will probably also turn out to be tied to Prophet Five.

--------------------

Bubble Wrap Boy
Perpetually Horny Crimefighter

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bubble Wrap Boy   Email Bubble Wrap Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
I've always been SUCH a huge fan of this show. Sadly, along season 3 or so I started missing episodes and have been somewhat confused ever since. [Frown]

My one concern about (which is my biggest concern about Lost) is the fact that there seems to be a need to "re-invent" it every season to keep the series and ratings up, sort of "reboots gone wild." [Frown] I would have preferred a much more structured beginning, middle and end to the series with there being a set time limit (seasons) if need be. Instead it sort of feels like they're playing it by ear, adding layer upon layer as the ideas pop into their heads, thus the unevenness of the overall storyline when you put all the seasons together on one timeline.

Regardless, I love this show and am very sad to see Vaughn gone, I always thought they had such great chemsitry, but the writing was on the wall when the two actors broke up. [Frown]

From: Boston | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rtvu2
here we go again....

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rtvu2   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
just saw it on DVR.

Like the new setup. I'm hooked for this season.

Like the anti marshall. She'll become important. Can't wait to see the new field agents. One of them is Amy Acker -Fred from Angel. Can't wait to see her.

From: Texas | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owl Lad
proudtobecanadian

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Owl Lad   Email Owl Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I can't believe Vaughn is dead. Look at the resurrection of Irina. He's gotta be back.

Which part did Balthazar Getty play in this episode? I saw his name in the credits, but didn't catch him.

From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Last night's episode wasn't as good as the first one. It was one of those episodes where the show almost turns into a cartoon. Still, there's now a cryogenically frozen body (whose, we haven't been told yet) about to be re-animated with nuclear energy -- that should create some interesting weirdness. And, just as I predicted, Prophet Five is proving to have some very powerful connections.

--------------------

Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Best things about last nights episode:

- Rachel (the Anti-Marshall) is way cool! And the mentor/disciple setup between Sydney and her really works.

- They've already picked up the Nadia plot thread. Yay! Anyone want to bet that by the end of the season, Sloane will have found the cure for Nadia and finally redeemed himself, but at the cost of his own life?

Worst things about last night's episode:

- What's-his-name (Vaughn's replacement) is a jerk with no charm.

- Dean (the evil head of Prophet Five) has a ridiculous speech about how much he enjoys serial killer novels. The producers should have demanded a rewrite of that scene.

--------------------

Kid Prime
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Prime           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm thinking that at this point, if you're some random Sydney love interest, DON'T offer a ring. It's just not worth losing your life over.

We'll see what happens with this season, but I'm less-than-enthralled with Diet Vaughn and Diet Syd.

I don't think Arvin Sloane is redeemable. I actually wouldn't put it past him, even now, to be exactly where he wants to be in the grand scheme of things.

The thing I'm most irritated with is that since Sydney lost all her eggs during season 3, that sure is some super-sperm of Vaughn's, impregnating her in that condition! (Of course, it IS Vaughn we're talking about.)

Other gripes: no Sark. I miss him. No Will. He's so cute!

However, bring Anna and Irina back for guest appearances this season (and Sark, please!) and I just might be a happy camper. 'Specially if Anna and Sark kidnap the baby for some nefarious Rambaldi purpose. Now that just might rock!

I am very concerned that this show has jumped the shark with the death of Vaughn, though. Even the whole Lauren saga didn't worry me as much as this one.

--------------------
White. A blank page or canvas. His favorite. So... many... possibilities.

From: Birmingham, AL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004

Nice to see Amy Acker, very nice to see Rachel Nichols [Love] (who says there's no life after international modeling and "Dumb and Dumberer"?). Almost makes me not notice the show sliding downhill. The show's just not the same -- I can't believe they got rid of tha main man ... Weiss! Ah well...

Honestly, It's hard to get into this season when the show seems to be steered more by real life than JJ Abrams. Jennifer Garner broke up with Vartan and is pregnant so Vaughn gets killed and Sydney gets pregnant. And it really does look ridiculous for Syd to go on missions in her condition -- is she out of her mind? Just makes her look incredibly reckless (and I thought women at her advanced pregnancy shouldn't fly?).

The show almost had me back when it looked like they were just going to start again with Rachel in the double-agent role with Syd as her handler or something but a pregnant agent taking a techie into the field is going to be hard to swallow. I'll keep watching, but they're soooo close to jumping the shark. As it is, I tape "Smallville" and watch "Alias" only if I'm home.

Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
ABC has pulled the plug.

Ain't It Cool has the press release.

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.