Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » Well Pat Roberston has done it again (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Well Pat Roberston has done it again
rtvu2
here we go again....

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rtvu2   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Someone tell him that all hurricanes we have faced as a country this season could be -as someone pointed out here-a sign that our leaders have lost their way and their own moral compass, according the asian way of thought.

Never mind. We are just probably heathens.

Read his latest declaration.

From: Texas | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rockhopper Lad
Kills Threads Dead

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rockhopper Lad   Author's Homepage   Email Rockhopper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I think Mr Robertson needs to look in that book he worships:

Judge not, that ye be not judged.
For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.
And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?

--------------------
The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."

From: The Pyngwyn Colonies of Planet Hyustyn | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Prime
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Prime           Edit/Delete Post     
At this point, the man's ravings are just starting to get silly.

--------------------
White. A blank page or canvas. His favorite. So... many... possibilities.

From: Birmingham, AL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bevis
Feeling nostalgic

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bevis   Email Bevis         Edit/Delete Post     
Oh I love Pat Robertson. He's just a whole great arguement against Christianity right on his own. I just don't understand how someone can take a religion that preaches tolerance and love (well, mostly) and turn it into one of the most hate filled piles of rhetoric ever. It makes it hard for people who are Christians without being vicious, thoughtless lunatics. He's gone past the point of just being a bigot or extremely right wing into somethign that almost defies definition. I don't think I'd go so far to say that his rants put him on the same level as someone like Bin Laden but he's really not that far off and there are certainly parallels. His whole 'some people deserve to die because they don't believe the same things as me' thing is just so wrong it makes me laugh, because if you don't laugh you have to cry. The scariest thing is how many people believe him...

--------------------
Truth and Justice shall Prevail!
(Unless Tamper Lad Screws it up...)

From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Jillikers! His views on feminism as stated in the article made me giggle!

Women. I always knew they were a bunch of child-killing, lesbian witches!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
 -

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
numberonelegionfan
Defender Of The Legacy Of Rassilon (Gallifrey:Planet Of The Time Lords)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for numberonelegionfan   Author's Homepage   Email numberonelegionfan         Edit/Delete Post     
And there's that other Bible jerk, Jerk van Wimpy (Jack van Impe) who's always talking about the end of the world and heathens and doomsday and the inevitable return of that fictional guy whatsisname and of course his rapture crap (a mother puts her baby down in a crip, turns around, looks back and the baby is gone...sure whatever; a reporter on the street is interviewing someone, she turns around and the someone is gone...yuh right; 2 friends are having breakfast at a restaurant and one of them disappears...what utter crap!) and the sad thing is that people who should know better actually gobble this up and support him!

And that Rexella...whoa! what a piece of work...that hair don't of hers really scares me...Jack with his quadruple double chins and jowels flapping around when he shakes his head to make a point

Trying to make people believe that "the Anti-Christ" will take over the world and force people to wear marks on their foreheads and controlling circuits under their skin? Let's just see them try to do that to me!

--------------------
The best way to find out where you're from is to find out where you're going and then work backwards.
Where are you going?
I don't know!

Spooooooon!!!

From: London, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
numberonelegionfan
Defender Of The Legacy Of Rassilon (Gallifrey:Planet Of The Time Lords)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for numberonelegionfan   Author's Homepage   Email numberonelegionfan         Edit/Delete Post     
or anyone else!

--------------------
The best way to find out where you're from is to find out where you're going and then work backwards.
Where are you going?
I don't know!

Spooooooon!!!

From: London, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harbinger
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Harbinger   Email Harbinger         Edit/Delete Post     
I'll be slammed for this opinion but here goes - to me organised religion is the death of spiritual evolution. These people are merely it's arse end on fire!

--------------------
"Tempus Fugitive" the final part of the Adventures of Dream Boy series, set in the Three-Boot Universe. Read it only in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.

From: here, more often than not | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
You've got my full support 'binger. I loathe organized (pardon my American spelling of the word [Smile] ) religion and have no use for it.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rtvu2
here we go again....

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rtvu2   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
The problem is not organized regligion but the people who are the leaders like Roberston and all evengelist. They are corrupting the true meaning and spiritual foundation.

If these people were truly reglious, truly devout, they would never do any of the things or say any of the things they have. They have twisted devotion and spritituality to fit there own agenda.

From: Texas | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rockhopper Lad
Kills Threads Dead

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rockhopper Lad   Author's Homepage   Email Rockhopper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Thank you, RTVU2. I quite agree.

And thank you everyone else for opening up. Religion is always a sensitive topic. No matter what one says and how carefully one says what one is saying, one risks offending someone else.

So here goes:

Robertson and his ilk are very far from Christianity. As I mentioned above, they worship the Bible. They idolize it, claiming it to be infallible and literally true. Remember that this is a book that has several warnings in it about worshiping idols made with human hands. It reminds me of Ned Flanders saying "I believe everything in the Bible. Even the stuff that contradicts the other stuff."

These people are not representative of all religious people.

Many of the kindest, most spiritual people I have ever known are members of churches, synagogues, or what have you (I dislike the term "organized religion", however one spells it). And many have not been. I've also known my share of churchgoing jerks.

For many people, myself included (for the record, I'm Episcopalian, what would be called "Anglican" in most countries [a disorganized religion if there ever was one]), their path takes them into this kind of a community. I can't imagine my life without it, but I also have many friends for whom that is not part of their lives. That's cool too. We respect each other's differences and enjoy what we have in common.

Christianity is not for everyone. It does not have all the answers. It's one of many paths. We all have a different path to follow.

Thank you for listening. I'll go back into character now.

--------------------
The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."

From: The Pyngwyn Colonies of Planet Hyustyn | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
does anyone have charles darwin's phone number?

[Big Grin]

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
I think that over the years the opposing forces have managed to so narrowly define christianty that they have box not only their opponents in, but themselves as well as to how christianity is viewed.

The first thing most say is "I thought christianty was supposed to be about love and tolerance, well, you sure don't sound that way". Its a very slick way to put people down because you don't agree with their particular way of viewing things.

Every time i see a "supposed" christian portrayed on tv, its either a woman stuck in a donna reed world of the fifties, complete with sweater and banal hairdo, ranting about satan. You don't really get any "reasonable" christians. You know, just people, ones that believe but go about life. The men are complete stuffed shirts with no sense of humor, no joy, just the belief that we are all here to 'suffer', or some such.

Then they start going on about the "prince of peace" without mentioning that even christ had a temper. Remember the indident in the temple?

Christians are human, they have the same ranges of emotion, the same feelings as everyone else. They have a belief system that is theirs, just like yours may be wiccan, or hindu, or native american.

And as to the judge not thing, lets be honest here...everyone judges every day. You make a judgement as to who is your friend, you make a judgement as to who you want in your life. Are we supposed to judge no one? Cause, i freely admit that i judge child molesters. Sure do. I make the judgement that a child molester, or a rapist, or a killer, or a drunken a-hole that kills three people in dui indident deserves punishment. And you do too.

Are some christians hypocrites? Yep, sure are. But you better be careful swinging that holier than thou attitude that some folks like to export, cause it can come back to bite you.

The absolute worst thing i have seen is that little bumpersticker that says "christians aren't perfect, just forgiven". It's pride, and hubris. If you see that, you can't equate that with a real christian. And it is a disservice to those that are.

Having said all this, you should know that i don't consider myself christian, in that i follow a religion. I believe in God, and that each of us acts in a way that we will have to bear the responsibility for.

But, the pithy little sayings that people sling about as a truncheon against others are just as mean and nasty as those supposed christians that swing their truncheons of false morality.

But, thats just me.

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harbinger
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Harbinger   Email Harbinger         Edit/Delete Post     
This may shock you but I totally agree with every word Rick.

My father oce said to me that Religions (intentional big 'r' there) are fantastic - they teach tolerance, respect, humility and peace, it's a pity their god is always better and more right than anyone elses and this "fact" gets in the way of His message.

He's a cynical old codger when he gets going but I have to agree with this one.

I'd also like to add though that as many friends I have of whichever faith they do all seem to get stuck at points where their life experience and own hard earned wisdom get snarled up with their religious views - it can really hurt people!

I have gay friends who are so guilty about their sexuality, single mothers (like I was when Ol was born) who are bitter about their marital status etc etc. I agree that religion can be a fantastic guide to keep you strong as you go along your way but the ritual and dogma do get in the way of growth. I'm not even talking about the big stuff either - Thou shalt not kill is an obvious one, but what does love thy neighbour mean? Does it mean literally the people in the next house from yours, or the person stood next to you at the queue for the autobank? I'm asking this as quite seriously from my own Humanistic view point this really translate as "look after those around you - whoever they are?" doesn't it?

Anyway, again from my own experience I've often found that the more repressed this spiritual growth is the more violent the views when they are finally alowed out, and to me that's why there are so many f***ed up bigots who use religion as an excuse to preach hatred.

Which brings us back to Pat, we're back on topic now [Big Grin]

[ November 13, 2005, 07:13 AM: Message edited by: Harbinger ]

--------------------
"Tempus Fugitive" the final part of the Adventures of Dream Boy series, set in the Three-Boot Universe. Read it only in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.

From: here, more often than not | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.