Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » Favorite SMELLS (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Favorite SMELLS
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Before this thread degenerates into fart and sex jokes, I figured I'd propose a few ground-rules:

(1) What is your favorite smell that people normally also like?

(2) What is your favorite smell that is generally considered gross or odd?

(3) What is a smell that instantly triggers good, funny or mischievous memories?

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

I'll go first:

(1) Fresh-cut grass. I love, love, love that smell. It reminds me of playing baseball and going hiking.

(2) Gasoline. For whatever reason, I've always loved the smell of gasoline. I used to do a lot of housework as a kid, including mowing the lawn, which meant I'd handle gasoline fairly often. Maybe that's why? Obviously, I know its not Gasoline itself that smells like that, its the added thingy.

(3) Marijuana. Thats what inspired this thread when I was walking around Manhattan this morning and randomly smelled some kids smoking weed behind a fence near a construction site (at like 1:00 in the afternoon). I found it so amusing...its been awhile since I smelled that and I enjoy seeing kids be mischievous like I was.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
1) lilacs

2) Skunk

3) Unsmoked tobacco makes me think about when I was a kid and bought my comics in a smoke shop.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
1) Bacon and coffee.

2) Mechanic's oil.

3) You ruled out farts but let pot stay? What's funnier than blaming a fart on someone else?

From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
1. Roses. The old-fashioned kind that actually haven't had the scent bred out of them. Though I actually think hyacinths smell better than roses, they're not as ubiquitous.

2. Gasoline as it's being pumped.

3. Pipe tobacco, because it reminds me of my Dad.

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

quote:
Originally posted by Blockade Boy:
1) Bacon and coffee.

2) Mechanic's oil.

3) You ruled out farts but let pot stay? What's funnier than blaming a fart on someone else?

Not ruling out, just wanted to get the first mention [Big Grin]
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
(1) Fresh baked bread. I use to have a bread machine, and I'd set it the night before to bake over night. I wouldn't need an alarm clock. [Smile]

(2) Gasoline. This is a common one I've heard. Guess lots of folks like that added thingy.

(3) Apple pie. I don't recall many funny memories of pie, but it's such a pleasing smell, it makes me thing of good, fond moments.

From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sketch Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sketch Lad           Edit/Delete Post     
1. cookies baking
2. bleach
3. chlorine in a pool or hot tub makes me remember all the time I spent at the pool as a kid

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
1. Roses! Especially wild roses, when you walk by them, the scent is wonderful. Lilaces, hyacinths and other scented flowers too, even stinky marigolds, but roses probably top the list.

2. Melting polypropolene rope. To seal the ends of cut rope, you burn them in a flame, which releases a smell which I know is probably cancerous and killing my brain cells, but I sort of like it. In small doses.

3. Cloves, which remind me of Christmas baking.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sketch Lad
Advisor

I could do this lots of times... because I don't have one favorite in each category.

1. meat roasting (beef, pork, chicken, lamb... whatever!)

2. hot electronics. It usually mean something's wrong, but it's an odd pleasant sense

3. campfire smell lingering in clothes when you unpack at home

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

Sketch Lad
Advisor

1. sauteed garlic

2. I miss the smell of my smelly dog who's in doggy heaven now

3. new car smell

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

Sketch Lad
Advisor

1. I agree with all the people who said roses. I have a rose bush in my garden that smells like dessert wine. It's a velvety red rose.

2. the alcohol wipe when you get a shot

3. the ocean/beach

okay, I'll stop for a while now...

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

Yk
between boots

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yk   Email Yk         Edit/Delete Post     
I have to agree with bread. I spent a large part of my childhood in Europe and fresh baked bread always reminds me of my early early childhood. I love fresh bread still hot from the oven.

Sawdust. I love shop work and making things. I've worked around big machines for years but the smell of deisel, gas or oil makes me think of work but the smell of sawdust gives me a warm homey -working on a project- feeling.

I'll have to think about the mischevious answer though. Right now I may have to agree with Cobie, the smell of pot takes me back to High School and College..farts, not so much.

From: Smallville Sector : Greater Metropolis | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tamper Lad
With the Scarlett Faction

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tamper Lad   Email Tamper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
The smell of chloroform as it kills my brain cells and rearranges my DNA.

The smell of phenol as it mutates my liver and kills my brain cells.

I admit I like the smell of the herb. I think I notice it more and more as I get older.

And no I am not a solvent abusing pot head.

From: Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
1. Burning leaves. always associate it with fall.

2. Swamp muck. Its nasty and gross, but it means I'm not trapped inside and its rich and earthy.

3. Motorcycle exhaust. Instantly takes me back to when I was seven years old.

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.