Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » Alphas (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Alphas
Shining Son
oversexed young adult

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shining Son   Email Shining Son         Edit/Delete Post     
Well, I liked it. Not bad. Haven't decided if its good yet, but not bad.
From: Manhattan, NY | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rockhopper Lad
Kills Threads Dead

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rockhopper Lad   Author's Homepage   Email Rockhopper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
It's on my DVR, but I haven't had a chance to see it yet. It sounds interesting.

--------------------
The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."

From: The Pyngwyn Colonies of Planet Hyustyn | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Watched it tonight, I'm very interested in what you all think ...

I liked it but Click Here For A SpoilerI got really annoyed with the writers giving all their characters some sort of disability or limitation .... in order to have situations based soley on those situations. They gave themselves free bees which to me were uniteresting. I want to see a show about super powers not super liabilities.

Pilots are often awkward though.

It reminded me of Mutant X ... which may or may not be good.

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hackett           Edit/Delete Post     
We watched it last night off the PVR. I'm in the same boat, in that it wasn't bad, but didn't blow me away.

The best part was the last two minutes where the head shrink totally turned on Hicks and forced him to come work for them. It would be a good change of pace to see TV version of a leader like Chief from the Doom Patrol, who's manipulative and cold under his veneer of being a nice guy.

If they run with that angle, I'm interested.

From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
I loathed the electromagnetic reading kid's autism-like tics. (I didn't like the eccentricity of the actor's performance as Nigel Murray on Bones, either. I don't know if it's the actor himself that bugs me, or the two very eccentric characters I've seen him play...)

Otherwise, the show was neat. I liked that they weren't particularly 'good guys,' but more like real people whose talents have taken them out of the mainstream one way or another. (The ex-agent, the, most likely, former con-woman, etc.)

It hasn't been mentioned yet, but it looks like the synethesic girl may have been going pre-med or something before her ability sidetracked her life as well. Her power is my favorite, because its advantage / disadvantage makes the most sense, along with that of the strength-boosting guy, who pumps himself up and then crashes hard.

The downside of the super-athlete's power doesn't really make as much sense to me, since it seems less physiological as just an inability to trust himself since his ability has let him down in the past. If it was more physiological, like he exhausts whatever neurochemical he's using to stay 'in the zone' like that, it might feel more like the way strength-guy's ability works.

As long as quirky guy doesn't stay as socially-awkward / quirky / autistic, I like the show.

Low-key powers, unlike Heroes, but more like Tower Prep, are key to keeping it feeling a bit more 'real' than over-the-top stuff, I think.

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gone
gone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gone   Author's Homepage   Email gone         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Set:
I loathed the electromagnetic reading kid's autism-like tics.
As long as quirky guy doesn't stay as socially-awkward / quirky / autistic, I like the show.

Um... you do realize that the character was written as being Autistic, don't you?
I don't remember the specific type of autism it is supposed to be, but I have read a couple articles on the actor studying the traits of some one with that type of autism so he wouldn't offend people with an inaccurate or over-the-top portrayal. It seems unlikely they will change the fact that he is autistic unless a 'cure' is suddenly discovered in the real world.

[ July 22, 2011, 11:25 AM: Message edited by: Iam Legion ]

From: gone | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
The show's ok so far, but I'm not really hooked. The latest episode where they all went berzerker was a pretty intense sequence and I do like that they seem to be building towards something with the "prison" facility. None of the characters really stand out to me though the "Prof X" guy David Straitharn always delivers solid work.
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
I watched all 3 episodes (episode 1 TWO times ina row) last night and I already like it better than HEROES (which I dropped early in Season 2).

I love the believablity of the powers (well, all were pretty believable except for Gary) and am convinced Dr. Rosen is also an alpha.

I *totally* got a "Chief from Doom Patrol" vibe from Dr. Rosen and in fact this show had me convinced by the end of the first episode that a Doom Patrol film/show could work.

I am definitely intrigued by the build-up about Binghampton where all the "bad alphas" go.

Sorry Peebs, I thought the limitations and disablities that came along with the alpha abilities were very believable.

I too disliked the Gary character during the first episode but upon a second re-watch of episode 1 I liked him.

The pheremones kid (Matthew) turning everyone on each other was indeed a frightful scene. I was glad to see Bill punch that kid in the face.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
My main concern about this show is that they're quickly going to be overrun with Alphas. "Heroes" went downhill when they became over-saturated with powers. I'm willing to see where this goes, but it runs the danger of stretching credibility. Like, why doesn't someone in the government recruit them to do more than simply go after other alphas? There are many espionage applications to most of their powers. And how long before people start noticing there are people with powers running around? Or until one of the alphas uses their abilities for fame and blow the secret?
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

I only half-watched this week's ep... it appears the villains' powers are getting more and more comicbooky and less "I actually believe someone might be able to do that", and the show is therefore losing some of the charm it had for me.

Did I miss anything important? Should I adjust my attitude and watch it for real, or just try again next week?

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Watched the first episode on Demand. Not bad, gonna try the other episodes there this weekend. Interesting concepts and displays of powers.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH:
I only half-watched this week's ep... it appears the villains' powers are getting more and more comicbooky and less "I actually believe someone might be able to do that", and the show is therefore losing some of the charm it had for me.

Did I miss anything important? Should I adjust my attitude and watch it for real, or just try again next week?

Well, this/last week's episode was more essential to the season plot and premise than any of the previous weeks. We get a better feel for the "Villans" (Red Flag), and some much needed internal tensions that should have been there after the pilot. I think it's worth a rewatch.
From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Thank you, I can do that later today before the new ep!

--------------------

rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
Looks like Syfy network is creating their own little universe, as there is a crossover of sorts between Alphas and Warehouse 13, since Artie's love, Dr. Calder, is making a guest appearance in Alphas.

I'm not against it at all. I'm loving the science aspect of the shows, except for W13, they tend to go a little more "magical" I guess you could say.

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Last episode was a bit of a bore. I liked the idea of not everyone going on a mission to give more focus time to different characters (in this case Rachel), but there really wasn't much development done with her, and by the end of the show she's about the same as when it started.

I didn't understand what Lindsey Wagner's character was all about. It was an odd guest appearance that really did nothing for the episode.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.