Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » Lardy's NFL Pick 'em Game 2011-12 (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 17 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  15  16  17   
Author Topic: Lardy's NFL Pick 'em Game 2011-12
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Hey, guys, a few years ago I hosted a companion game to Vee's College Gameweek for LW's NFL fans. To celebrate their BEING and NFL season after a scary lockout, what say we do it again?

The old version was somewhat complicated and often involved point spreads and what-not. Let's just pick who we think is gonna win this time, and see who's got the best winning percentage (as with Vee's game) over the course of the season and postseason! And, hey, maybe talk about some pro football games and anticipation of games as we go?

Below is a list of Week One games. Pick a winner for each game and say as little or as much about the games as you want to!

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
NFL Week One

Thu. Sep. 08
Saints at Packers

Sun. Sep. 11
Steelers at Ravens
Bengals at Browns
Colts at Texans
Titans at Jaguars
Falcons at Bears
Bills at Chiefs
Eagles at Rams
Lions at Buccaneers
Seahawks at 49ers
Giants at Redskins
Vikings at Chargers
Panthers at Cardinals
Cowboys at Jets

Mon. Sep. 12
Patriots at Dolphins
Raiders at Broncos

--------------------

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Note: The NFL season begins on Thursday, so try to get your picks in by 8:30 EST that day!

--------------------

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

So enquiring minds want to know: Will Peyton play Sunday? Not looking too likely right now. Or are the Colts just being cheeky? [Hmmm?]

--------------------

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Glad to see you doing this again Lardy! IIRC, I won last time! [Big Grin]

I will think about the games a bit more before I pick but wanted to at least lock in my pick for Thur, which naturally is my Packers!

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
>ahem<

I'm game.

Saints at Packers- Packers

Steelers at Ravens- Steelers
Bengals at Browns - Browns
Colts at Texans - Texans
Titans at Jaguars - Titans -changed due to Gerards release yesterday.
Falcons at Bears - Falcons
Bills at Chiefs - gonna go Bills
Eagles at Rams - Eagles
Lions at Buccaneers - Lions
Seahawks at 49ers - ummm, tough one. Seahawks
Giants at Redskins - Giants
Vikings at Chargers - chargers
Panthers at Cardinals - Cardinals
Cowboys at Jets - gonna go Cowboys

Patriots at Dolphins - Pats
Raiders at Broncos - Broncos

[ September 07, 2011, 06:16 AM: Message edited by: rickshaw1 ]

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Lard Lad:
So enquiring minds want to know: Will Peyton play Sunday? Not looking too likely right now. Or are the Colts just being cheeky? [Hmmm?]

He ain't playin. You don't drop what they did on Collins for spits and tickles without needing it.

--------------------

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Like my College picks...these have no rhyme or reason to them...except maybe the Lions, with whom I have some hope this year.

NFL Week One

Thu. Sep. 08
Packers

Sun. Sep. 11
Steelers
Browns
Colts
Titans
Bears
Chiefs
Eagles
Lions
49ers
Redskins
Vikings
Cardinals
Cowboys

Mon. Sep. 12
Patriots
Raiders

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Horrible game of the Week: Panthers at Cardinals. Cards have a workable QB now, and panthers have...a running back for a QB. Who's had no pro experience. And needs plays to break down for him to excel... at college level.

Gotta say, I may be proven wrong with time, hope so since i follow the Panthers, but I was against this choice to begin with. don't think that the $40 million dollar baby is gonna take the team there. Hope Im wrong, but fear I'm right. Newton could take a hit from those boys in college, but NFL speed is a different thing, and these men hit hard, and fight dirty.

--------------------

Something pithy!

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

quote:
Originally posted by rickshaw1:
quote:
Originally posted by Lard Lad:

He ain't playin. You don't drop what they did on Collins for spits and tickles without needing it.
Yup, it's official--Peyton's out at least for Week 1, if not longer. "Indefinite" is the word on him with regards to his return.

Which makes me wonder about something I've yet to see about his neck injury: when did it happen? I know he had surgery in May. So was it football-related or not? If it was, why did it take so long to get diagnosed and treated? Surely, the lockout wouldn't have affected treatment in such a crazy manner? (Anyway, we were still in the midst of it at the time of his operation.) [Confused]

I hope he's not out too long. The NFL is always at its most when it's elite quarterbacks are playing. Peyton and Brady, love them or hate them, are at the top of that mountain. I can't imagine being forced to watch a Colts game on an upcoming Sunday or Monday night without Peyton Manning behind center... [No]

--------------------

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

On the plus side we get two other Elites playing in the Kickoff tonight in Aaron Rogers and Drew Brees. These also happen to be two of the most likeable players in the NFL now. I'm hoping for a classic, but I betcha the outcome would be more wild and unpredictable if this one were being played at the Super Dome.

Definitely picking the reigning Super Bowl champ Packers tonight.

--------------------

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

quote:
Originally posted by rickshaw1:
Horrible game of the Week: Panthers at Cardinals. Cards have a workable QB now, and panthers have...a running back for a QB. Who's had no pro experience. And needs plays to break down for him to excel... at college level.

Gotta say, I may be proven wrong with time, hope so since i follow the Panthers, but I was against this choice to begin with. don't think that the $40 million dollar baby is gonna take the team there. Hope Im wrong, but fear I'm right. Newton could take a hit from those boys in college, but NFL speed is a different thing, and these men hit hard, and fight dirty.

As a Panthers fan myself, I, too, am wary of Cam Newton. I'll admit that a big part of it was the cloud that hung over him last year during Auburn's title run. Maybe that makes little difference in the NFL, but it definitely left a bad taste in my mouth. I sure wish Stanford's Andrew Luck had entered the draft.

We'll see how he does, but my expectations aren't high. Hopefully, something more respectable than 2 wins awaits Panthers fans this year, but we'll have to wait and see. Sure hope he's not another Jamarcus Russell...

--------------------

Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Nobody else is picking?
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

I think the rest of us took our cue from Cobie and picked tonight's game while waiting closer to Sunday to pick the rest. If anyone who hasn't picked at all wants to jump in with the Sunday games, feel free!

--------------------

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Steelers
Browns
Texans - no Payton? No win.
Titans
Falcons
Chiefs
Rams - upset of the week as the Rams step up this year
Buccaneers
Seahawks
Giants - gotta go NY on 9/11
Vikings
Panthers
Jets - not only 9/11 but the Jets are the real deal
Patriots
Broncos

This was very difficult! Week 1 is so tough for the NFL.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 17 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  15  16  17   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.