Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Bits o' Legionnaire Business » Loss: A Tribute to the Post Zero Hour Legion of Superheroes (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Loss: A Tribute to the Post Zero Hour Legion of Superheroes
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Omni:

you could continue Condo's with him searching for Jacques to get some closure... or something. i can't wait to see more!

That's a good idea - I'd planned for each Legionnaire to be revisited only once each, but I do have a closing segment in mind that will wrap everything up. I may have characters like Condo pop up in others' segments too, though, like what I did with Azra Saugin.

I can promise that Condo and Chuck, at least, will be seen again.

I can't wait to read more from you as well, Omni [Smile]

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
superboymddjr
Quiet member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for superboymddjr   Email superboymddjr         Edit/Delete Post     
aw....reading Monstress s story made me feel so sad...it is the saddest and poignant story ever...and I had to go back re-read it all over again, especially Monstress. I miss her!... thanks IB for writing such beautiful narrative on each Lost legionnaires. [Hug]
From: Hayward, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Supes, thanks for the kind words! I'm really glad to know I'm doing these Legionnaires justice, given their long histories.

I just went back to flesh out Kinetix's story some more.

[Kinetix]

As for Monstress, after the great job DNA did with her in Legion Lost, I knew she deserved a killer tribute as well. [Monstress]

[ October 14, 2011, 06:21 AM: Message edited by: Invisible Brainiac ]

--------------------

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

KID QUANTUM II [Kid Quantum II]

Nightwind dove as a laser shot past where her head had been. Rolling forward on the ground, she let loose a gust of wind at her opponent, slamming him against a wall. Satisfied that he was out, she glanced around at her teammates.

Polar Boy had his on ice, literally. Lume was blinding his, though the man kept firing his weapon erratically. Infectious Lass was dodging blasts too; Nightwind guesses their opponents’ armor was delaying the effects of whatever pathogen Drura was using on them.

Quickly scanning the surroundings, she barked a few orders.

“Brek, crowd control. Use your powers to seal the combatants off! Lume, destroy your opponents’ weapon first! Drura, hang on!”

Berta quickly flew to Drura. She could probably take this one out too, but with Brek taking care of the crowd, she could afford to give Drura a chance to do the job. It would be good for her morale, and give Berta a chance to gauge Drura’s powers. She used her powers to push the masked man off balance. “Go for it!”

Drura quickly leaped forward and grabbed the man’s helmet. “Nice armor, tough guy. Too bad you still need holes for air.” Within seconds, the man had crouched on the ground in a fetal position.

Looking back up, Berta saw that Lume had used his light powers to disarm his opponent and had knocked him out.

That was four. There was a fifth, though.

Where was…

“Stand back, lady! If you so much as twitch, your teammate goes down!”

Berta froze. Brek stood with his hands in their air, facing the sides of the dome he had created to seal the area in. A final armored man had his blaster pointed point-blank at him.

She knew what to do, though. Keep him talking for a bit. He was breathing heavily already. It wouldn’t take long.

“Don’t move, guys. What do you want?”

“I want you all to stand down, and let me out of here.” He was panicking. Good.

“And where will you go?”

“I… I will…” he suddenly grabbed his head. “What… what’s…I can’t… breathe…”

Polar Boy quickly subdued him. “Thanks, Nightwind. I love how creative you’ve gotten with your wind powers.”

Berta smiled. “Another thing I learned from Kid Quantum. She was the one who taught me that my wind powers basically allow me to control the air. It was a simple matter to prevent any from reaching this guy’s head.”

She turned to survey the area. “Great work on our first solo run, team. Minimal damage to the area, no bystanders hurt, all loot recovered, and no injuries. I say we deserve floats when we get back.”

“Shall we address the reporters, though?” Lume asked. “There appear to be a large number gathered outside.”

Berta considered for a second. “Are you all up to it?” Seeing three Yeses, she smiled. “Let’s go then.”

Berta relaxed back in her room as she recorded a log of her day. This was another habit she picked up from Kid Quantum.

She sighed, thinking of all the Legionnaire had done for her. Even as a cadet, Jazmin had mentored her. Apparently, she had reminded the Kid of a younger her – headstrong, not afraid to question authority, somewhat rebellious, but with a big heart.

It had been Jazmin who’d impressed upon her the importance of watching out for her teammates. “Girl,” she’d said, “you have to remember one thing. The Legion is a team. You have to take care of your teammates to keep strong. That means, even in the heat of battle, you have to keep an eye out on them. Let me tell you, it can get hard while you’re dodging some nassheads energy blasts, but it’s part of the job. And it will pay off.”

And it had. When the Legion had reformed, Berta had been chosen to be the new team’s leader. She took that role with pride.

And sadness, of course. She’d always looked forward to working alongside Kid Quantum and the others. She never imagined she’d be replacing them instead.

She’d been asked that many times by reporters. She pretty much had a standard answer now – “As a cadet, I knew the Legionnaires. Each one was a hero and an inspiration. We can carry on in their stead, but we will never be able to replace them.”

Another common one was, which one had she admired most?

That was easy as well.

“Kid Quantum. It’s not just how powerful she is – and she is, believe me. Her quantum powers allow her to manipulate time and matter, and if you’ve ever faced her in a combat training session, you’ll know it’s as amazing as it sounds. More than that, though, she’s THE type of hero to emulate. She made Legion leader despite her relatively short tenure with the team. She had knowledge of biophysics. She was effective, and commanded the respect and trust of all her teammates. She took time out to help all us cadets with our training. She managed to maintain a healthy relationship with her family. And she saved the galaxy almost single-handedly, got lost doing so, and came back. Kid Quantum is my hero, because she taught me that hard work, heart, and a love for the job can make you a success no matter what disadvantages you start with.”

She paused as a message popped up. She was pleasantly surprised to find it was RJ Brande.

“Lass, Chuck told me about your success today. Congratulations on your first solo mission! By damn, you’ll be an excellent Legion leader.”

Berta smiled. She would be, at that.

She would make Kid Quantum proud, and honor her legacy. And the Legion’s.

[ November 19, 2011, 12:20 PM: Message edited by: Invisible Brainiac ]

--------------------

Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

APPARITION [Apparition]

Winema Wazzo steeled herself as she prepared to address the United Planets. As UP President, she had to be strong. Even if she felt like she were dying inside.

She smoothed her suit and the white flowing cape she wore. It was a time for ceremony, and she wanted to remind the galaxy that she was also the mother of a Legionnaire.

She didn’t know what made it more difficult this time. The fact that she’d lost Tinya so many times that she felt like she were on a rollercoaster ride; or the fact that she and Tinya had truly, finally started to reconcile just before she had…

She closed her eyes again. She had done wrong by Tinya, and she knew it. She had been harsh, controlling, overbearing. She had nearly cost Tinya her life by sending mercenaries after her; mercenaries whom she was wrong to trust.

Yet she was proud of all Tinya had accomplished. Grief had blinded her before, but she saw now that Tinya had been a hero. She had sacrificed to protect the United Planets. And despite how she had suffered, being betrayed by her father, dying and living as a wraith, dealing with the combined memories of two selves merged into one, she had become a strong woman.

She smiled as she remembered Tinya’s words to her when they had finally talked, after Winema had nearly been felled by an assassin’s bullet.

“Mother, I’m glad you are well. But we must talk now. We’ve both nearly lost each other so many times. Now, you are my mother, and I know you love me and want what’s best for me. But I will not allow you to keep micromanaging my life. I am old enough to make my own choices; you may disapprove and advise, but do not interfere. I love Jo, and he has proven himself over and over again. I trust him. If you were able to accept the Legion, then you can accept him and my son too.” Tinya had paused then; Winema could see she had been overcome with emotion, but she had kept it controlled. “Mother, please. I want you to keep being a part of my life, but under terms we both can agree to. I was wrong to avoid you before. But then again, you were also wrong in how you offered your help. Alright?”

Winema had just hugged her daughter. She was proud. Where she was harsh, Tinya was firm; where she was strict, Tinya was compassionate. Winema used to think those qualities were weak, but she could see how strong they could be. It was odd, how the mother learned from the daughter.

“Madame President?” A voice broke through Winema’s thoughts. “Ma’am, it is time.”

“Thank you,” Winema said, smiling. She would not have done that before. “I am ready.”

She stepped onto the stage, ready to address the galaxy.

“Sentients, today I stand before you today with little in the way of words. For what words can truly encapsulate the heroism of those we celebrate? Nothing, nothing we do can fully repay the Legion of Superheroes for what they have done for us. They have saved our homes, our families, and our lives many times over. They have given of themselves, at an age where most of us are still worrying about our next allowance.”

She paused, taking in the faces of the crowd. All she saw were nodding in agreement.

“The best way to honor them is to soldier on. To show that we are worthy of all the chances they have given us to better ourselves. Hopefully, that will be a philosophy we can all adopt.”
“Like I have,” Winema thought.

“Let this be a month of renewal and of hope. The United Planets member worlds have all agreed to use this month to celebrate not only the individual Legionnaires who have gone, and those who now take up their mantle.” She paused and waved her hand as a light flashed on the nine new Legionnaires who now strode out on stage. She smiled; she would love to have them as allies. Their leader Nightwind smiled back and bowed respectfully. Winema continued, “We also gather here to celebrate their example and their legacy. Let this month be… Legion month!”

Winema smiled to herself as the crowd cheered, and tears welled up in her eyes. She quickly turned to exit the stage; it would not do to be caught crying on camera. “Thank you, Tinya baby. Thank you.”

--------------------

Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

GATES [Gates]

Infectious Lass wiped her brow as she bent over her next patient. She had already identified the disease he was afflicted with, and was considering how to draw it out.

She could command the microorganisms to enter her system, but was there a more efficient way? Drura was quite exhausted, and she needed to conserve her strength to help as many as she could.

She remembered what she had learned from Dr. Gym’ll’s lectures. Outpost fever was fairly easy to avoid if one kept in good health, but malnourished sentients were at risk. And once it was contracted, it was difficult to get rid off.

Unless…

The bacteria causing it was also susceptible to the bacteria that caused Yorggian fever. And since the disease was only deadly to Durlans…

She quickly gave the woman a small dose of Yorggian fever, and waited.

A few minutes later, her gamble had paid off. Only trace amounts of the bacteria for both diseases remained, enough so that the woman’s immune system could handle the rest. She would recover within a day.

She stood up and wobbled, steadying herself on a chair.

“Still pushing yourself, Legionnaire? Bah! You heroic types!” Dr. Gym’ll’s voice was harsh, but Drura new he was just concerned.

“I can handle it, doctor. I’ve only seen 57 sentients today. I only need a few minutes for most of them.”

“And what good will it do them if you wind up falling over from exhaustion yourself? You may be immune to disease, but that doesn’t make you immune to everything!”

“You’re… right. I’ll take a break now. Please send for me if there’s anything urgent, though.” Drura knew enough not to argue. Having recently survived a gunshot wound – barely- had made the doctor even more hard-headed then before. She decided to change the subject before he lectured her further. “Gates would be happy to see how well his idea is working out.”

“Not well enough! Why, look at how inefficient we are! If only the UP would get more volunteers from your homeworld…”

“Uh-oh,” Drura thought. She thought of an excuse to get away, when her rescue came in the form of her teammate, the White Witch. “Excuse me, doctor, I need Drura’s help. Now don’t worry, I’ll make sure she rests.” Before Dr. Gym’ll could do more than open his mouth in protest, Mysa had pulled Drura away.

As they exited the tent, Drura thanked Mysa. She smiled; the sorceress had come to offer her services to the Legion after the Crisis, and had been accepted quickly based on her past history. She was now one of the most powerful members of the team. She was now a bit of an elder sister figure to them all.

Mysa smiled back. “Temperamental, isn’t he? But his heart is in the right place.” She paused, considering. “You know, Gates used to be like that. I only met him on a handful of occasions, but… It was quite refreshing.”

Drura remembered it too. “He was one of the most… colorful instructors we had, back on Legion World,” she said. “His economics and sociology classes were always interesting. He was irritable at times, but I like how he never made you feel stupid even when you didn’t know anything.”

“I agree. If he offended anyone by his words or deeds, it was always unintentional. And he would apologize. He always had a way with words... I also hear he pitched this medical corps idea to the UP quite convincingly.”

“I was there,” Drura said proudly. Along with Dr. Gym’ll, Brainiac 5, Kinetix, Chlorophyll Kid and Impulse, Gates had tapped her for her skills and her desire to help. He had addressed the UP Assembly and had moved them with a mix of facts and passion.

She recalled Brainiac 5 telling Gates to put his opinions to good use by backing them up with facts. The two had worked wonderfully well together.

It was quite inspiring, really. When the UP had approved his motion, she saw how naïve Gates truly was, in a way. He had stood dumbfounded for a second, and then exclaimed, “By the egg! I didn’t think it would actually work!”

Drura hadn't expected that at all. Gates had been so sure, so ardent while they were preparing. His favorite line had been, "Think of all the money we're wasting on defense when children go to bed sick and hungry all over the galaxy!"

It was a warm, satisfying moment. And it had also opened her eyes to the fact that the Legionnaires were just normal people. They were fallible, too. What made them great was that they soldiered on despite that.

It made her even more determined to soldier on.

"You know, I had half-expected Gates to organize a mission himself, without talking to the UP. He always seemed to believe the system was corrupt." Mysa pondered.

"I believe his time with the team led him to see that not all politicians are greedy," Drura said. Another lesson - keep an open mind.

“Tell me more about it over some cold zenflower tea,” Mysa said. “It sounds like an inspiring moment.”

The two teammates walked on, energized by the aura of healing around their camp.

[ October 18, 2011, 01:59 PM: Message edited by: Invisible Brainiac ]

--------------------

Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

GEAR [Gear]

Hannah Wells, the reporter formerly known as Trudi Trusoe, worked feverishly to worked tirelessly to finish her piece. She wanted to time the release just right to coincide with the kickoff of Legion Month.

Her desk littered with omnicoms and cups of coffee, she quickly ran her eyes over the list of Legionnaires on her wall.

She was determined that each one would get their share of the limelight. They deserved nothing less.

It was a challenge for some of them, though. The likes of Saturn Girl, Brainiac 5 or M’Onel were easy – they had a lot of fans, and a lot of people shared stories about them.

But what about the likes of Magno, who had only served a few months? Or Thunder, the mysterious Legionnaire who some whispered wasn’t from this era?

Hannah was currently worrying about the Legionnaire called Gear. Not only had he only been a Legionnaire a relatively short time, but he had spent much of that time on Legion World, building and maintaining the systems that kept the artificial planet alive. She felt there was more to it than that. As a journalist, it was her job to approach the subject from the right angle, much like how a jeweler should polish a stone just right to show it off to maximum effect.

She had a lead, though – Black Star. If she got this just right…

She took a sip of coffee and went back to work.

“This is Hannah Wells, welcoming you to the Legion Months Specials. Today we’ll talk about the hero called Gear.”

“Legion World is known far and wide as a miracle of engineering, a marriage of science and art. Sentients from around the United Planets have stepped onto it and been amazed at how much it mirrors their homeworlds. It’s been billed as a way to tour the UP on a budget.”

“All this is due to the genius of Gear. His birth name is IZOR, his home world, Linsner, home to a race of bio-mechanical beings. Linsner was a world whose people considered them tools; though they ate, slept and learned like other sentients, they always worked for others.”

“Gear thought the same when he began at Blackstar Juvenile Correctional Facility. Ostensibly a place where youth with posthuman abilities could be guided away from misusing them, Blackstar instead was a prison that raked in money from those who had opponents they wanted to disappear, forever.”

“All account say that this is when Gear saw the error of his ways. He began to feel guilt and shame, right and wrong. Together with his future teammate Sensor, Gear was able to free all the prisoners and end the threat of Blackstar forever.”

“RJ Brande was so impressed by Gear’s skills and sense of justice that he tapped the youth to help construct the busy Legion World.”

“But that is not his whole legacy. An astounding number of Legion cadets – one out of five – were previously imprisoned at Blackstar. Gear managed to contact the majority of the former inmates, and several responded to his call to boost the Legion reserves.”

“Besides effecting change hands-on, Gear was also able to passively cause it with his deeds. Linsner’s governing bodies recently voted to outlaw its citizens from accepting contracts to provide services for military installations, prisons and the like.”

“The Robotican homeworld also recently called for a resolution to honor Gear and his teammate Brainiac 5 as Robotican planetary heroes for their roles in the development of Robotica.”

“Even though his career was brief, Gear left a mark on the universe. He will be missed just as much as his comrades.”

--------------------

Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

VIOLET [Shrinking Violet - Post-Boot]

The being floated in their air, pondering. It needed to think carefully.

Its latest “alliance” was of little use to it. The Fatal Five were powerful, but they had no imagination. Power, money, excitement – that was all they craved.

The Emerald Eye wanted to be free. It did not seek destruction, power, riches or glory – in fact, it was not quite sure what it did want. To grow in power, yes, but not to wield power over others. It was much more interested in being able to better use its own power, to prevent it from being captured and used as a tool by those like Mordru.

The Eye hovered in the prison that the Legion had placed it in after their last encounter. They needn’t have worried: the Eye did not plan to leave. It could hone its skills just as well inside there. And it gave much time to think.
Violet had still been his favorite host. There was something… pure about her. She had only wanted to use its powers to grant her teammates desires. The only other “host” like that had been Kinetix; the difference was that Kinetix had given off a desperation for power, like she would not be whole without it. Violet had been stronger. At first, she had been desperate to be more confident, but she was able to struggle through it. The power helped her, but she was more able to let it go once it had gotten her to where she wanted to be.

Strong, confident. Secure in herself.

And yet, Violet was gone. The Eye could no longer sense it. It was a pity.

The Eye briefly considered each of the others it had encountered. None of them matched up to Violet. Perhaps Mysa did, but she was a trained mystic, and the Eye wanted none of that.

She even considered the other Legionnaires. The one known as Element Lad had blinded the Eye, but the Eye sensed an instability in him. The one known as Timber Wolf was clever and crafty, but too feral.

No, Violet had much more self-control. Only her own insecurity, at least at first, had blinded her to her inner strength.

The Eye had been tempted so when they’d met again. Violet had grown, and not just because the Eye had granted her the ability to grow. She had been through a lot, and she had endured. And Violet never knew how appealing that strength was. It radiated from her; not boastful or loud, just a quiet feeling that enriched those around her. And it was all because she had endured.

Just as the Eye would have to. At least until it found a host as worthy as Violet had been.

--------------------

Omni
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Omni   Email Omni         Edit/Delete Post     
oo the Emerald Eye! love it!!! i like your reasoning for why the Eye was into Vi.

--------------------
read the adventures of the Reboot Legion!

http://www.legionworld.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=001232

From: dorchester, MA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

DREAMER [Dreamer]

In the haze of a dream, reality and fantasy blend and mix together. One cannot simply trust one’s senses, or even one’s sense of what is real. Common sense isn’t a useful tool here, for the unwary dreamer does not even realize whether he or she is asleep.

Myra walked the corridors of her dreamscape, treading slowly. Many outsiders thought that dreaming was easy; that a dreamer simply reclined and waited for visions to come.

No, they had to be searched out.

She came to a series of closed doors, each one leading to a possible dream. Sometimes, one could open a half dozen and see nothing of use – there was always a vision, but one had to choose carefully to see if it were a true vision or simply a dream created by one’s subconscious.

She peeked through one, and saw flashes of… celebration? It looked like her native Naltor; she could see the pink and orange sunset gleaming over the reefs that their cities were built on. What were they celebrating, though? She glimpsed harder, but could not see.

She peeked through the next one, and saw… a staff? Coming at… her?

She barely had time to react. Waking, she dodged just in time.

“What?” she asked. She’d been kneeling in front of her desk, practicing how to enter a trance. She looked up to see her roommate Gilda with a smile on her face.

“You’re getting better, Myra. You dodged this one perfectly.”

Myra reached up to rub her arm instinctively. Her bruise there had healed, but she was not anxious to get any new ones. She said, “If I want to see combat, I have to be.” Standing up, she yawned. “But I still prefer searching for visions while totally asleep.”

“Well, both have their uses.” Glinda said. “Though it was said that Nura Nal could see far into the future even while awake.”

Myra shrugged. “She was extremely talented to begin with, and had the benefits of Khundian training. The rest of us… well, maybe in time we’ll get that good. For now, though, I don’t know of any cadet who can see more than two days ahead while awake.”

It wasn’t that big a problem, though. The more awake a dreamer was, the clearer her visions. On the other hand, they were also more imminent. As a dreamer went deeper and deeper into the trance, the visions became hazier and were likely to come true later on. Myra had been in a very shallow trance a while ago. She still wasn’t able to trigger a full waking vision, though.

“Come on,” Glinda said. “They’re going to unveil the Dreamscape Sanctum tomorrow, but we can take a sneak peek at it while they’re finishing the preparations. I can see – “ Glinda paused as she tranced out slightly; it lasted all but three seconds. “Many others are already there. The captain is organizing them for a quick tour.”

Three seconds only; but enough time for a dreamer to be gunned down in the line of fire.

Myra quickly grabbed her uniform. The Dreamscape Sanctum was a sister building that would be right beside the Titanet. It had been borne from the efforts of Legionnaires Dreamer and Saturn Girl; they had spent many months experimenting on using their abilities in concert. It had been extremely successful, and now Naltor and Titan were working together to create an early-warning and communications system that would serve the whole UP.

Myra and Glinda were among a small pool of Naltorians who were found to have dreaming potential. Nura Nal had been the first precognitive born in seven generations, and all cadets were younger than she had been. The dreaming talent was still rare, though.

As they exited their room, they ran into a pair of Titanians – Zeela and Portela. The girls smiled in greeting. “Heading to the Sanctum? It looks like it’ll be just as grand as the Titanet tower. You must be so proud to see it finished,” said Portela.

Myra smiled back. These two girls had become good friends during their time training here. Titanians and Naltorians had to learn to work together; the plan was to assign one Titanian to every Naltorian so their abilities could work in concert. It would be implemented in both the Science Police and the Titanet – Dreamscape when their class graduated. “Yes, and we’re especially proud that we’ll be able to finally join Titan in proudly serving the UP.”

“Hey now, enough of the mushiness,” Zeela joked. “There’ll be time for that after!” The four girls took off down the corridor. As they rounded it, Myra stopped. “Wait a moment!”

Glinda was about to ask why, but she stopped. Closing her mouth, she stood at attention as well. All four girls saluted in unison, facing the statues of Dreamer and Saturn Girl in the hall.

They would be proud to see what was happening now.

--------------------

Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

quote:
Originally posted by Omni:
oo the Emerald Eye! love it!!! i like your reasoning for why the Eye was into Vi.

Thanks, Omni! I was racking my brain as to who to pick for a Violet POV, since we never saw her family. At first I was going to use Micro, but realized that the Eye would give better insight into Vi.

When will we see more from your fanfic? [Smile] I can't wait to see who'll make it.

--------------------

Omni
Honorary

oh don't you worry you'll see soon enough!
and the eye was a great choice! it was a side that we haven't really seen in a while, if ever.

--------------------

From: dorchester, MA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Thank you [Smile] I'm trying my best to look at each Legionnaire from a different angle, and I didn't want to keep using POVs from family and friends only.

--------------------

Omni
Honorary

Villains are a good way to go...you could do that for Thunder... yet another one i wish they did more with!

--------------------

Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

BRAINIAC 5 [Brainiac 5 - Post-Boot]

Babbage’s mechanical consciousness found itself in the Sleepnet. It was like plunging into a pool of water, Babbage noted. It had to compensate for the currents around it.

Beside it, his Coluan colleague – and Legion cadet - Zaron Lux swam. Or perhaps that was not right. He did not swim, or float, or even fly – he just stood there and let the Sleepnet move around him. Babbage remembered what Zaron had explained – the secret to success in the Sleepnet was to change its flow, instead of allowing yourself to be caught by its currents.

As Babbage righted himself, he took stock of the Sleepnet. It could see the forms of Coluans all over. Most of them were sedentary; somehow, they could allow only the information they were seeking to flow towards them.

Zoran suddenly appeared beside him. “Wonderful, is it not?” It was more a statement than a question. “This is how we Coluans add to our knowledge base quickly and efficiently. We sort through all the accumulated knowledge, and select the right pieces to appropriate. For example, one interested in the newly discovered moon of Aleph can pull that knowledge to himself,” he paused, shutting his eyes for a moment, then opened them again, “like so. It is named Saugin, by the way, I assume in honor of the Legionnaire Kinetix.”

“That is most helpful. I shall attempt to sort through information as well.” Babbage replied.

Reconfiguring itself, Babbage tried to look up any recent information on their efforts. There was surprisingly little – just mention that the UP had assigned the Legion to assist in forging ties between Robotica and Colu.

There was plenty of mention of Brainiac 5’s appeal to the UP Council. That had set things in motion. Babbage reviewed his own data banks, for he had been present at that historical moment.

“I respectfully disagree with the Coluan representative’s assertions,” Brainiac 5 had argued. “The Roboticans ceased hostilities immediately once they were freed of Computo’s control. Or would you have us judge their entire species by the actions of one? If so, should we not submit ourselves to the United Planets’ condemnation for the actions of my ancestors; of Brainiac 4; Sharn Nux; and yes – of Orin Fex?”

Babbage could understand why there was a lot of emotion involved with that memory. T Orin Fex had planted Sharn Nux as a mole, and she had nearly jeopardized efforts to halt Computo.

“I did not know it was possible to register emotion in the Sleepnet.” Babbage stated. “There is a lot of emotion involved here. My sensors are scanning plenty of confusion, anger, and curiosity associated with this.”

Zoran didn’t concentrate this time. Babbage was sure he kept updated on the issue – it was highly personal. “It is possible, though usually it is faint and pleasant – wonderment, satisfaction, pride. But ever since Orin Fex was imprisoned for his crimes and the new councilors took over, things have been mixed. You know that recently, Colu has shifted towards appreciating emotional and social skills in addition to intelligence. Pure theory is no longer as prized as it once was; the prevailing view is that our intelligence must create something useful. However, Coluan society is still split – the Brainiac lineage is at the heart of this division.”

Babbage suddenly registered a jolt, as though the Sleepnet was pushing it away. It hastily disconnected before further damage could be done. “It seems the safeguards are working well. Us Roboticans may observe in the Sleepnet, but we are barred from fully participating. I apologize, please continue, Zoran.”

Zoran nodded. He was used to working with Babbage. The two had formed a sort of friendship, strange though it was. “In any case, some felt there was wisdom in Brainiac 5’s idea to ally with Robotica in order to create more. Others, motivated by pride, wish to enter into a sort of competition. However, all did agree to allow our experiment to proceed – as long as Robotica shares knowledge of its own with us. And as long as Colu monitors what knowledge Robotica can access.”

“I concur, it is a wise decision to proceed cautiously. And now to fulfill my part of the bargain.” Babbage’s systems hummed as he released some information that had been approved by the Robotican council – schematics on some Robotican drones. Older models, of course – enough to allow Colu to see the value of this proposed alliance, but not enough to pose a threat should Colu turn hostile.

Babbage did not think that would happen, though. The Coluans may be prideful, but after their involvement in the Sharn Nux – Computo fiasco had been exposed, they were working hard to make amends.

Brainiac 5 had also gained great respect – though grudging – for his actions with the Legion. The younger Coluans, especially, were fascinated by the idea of heroism. Young Coluans like Zoran, here, were at the forefront of a wave of change on Colu.

Robotica, on the other hand, had thrown full support into integrating with the UP. Their lack of emotion made it easier – though Babbage understood that their lack of passion also meant they needed the Coluans.

He hoped both worlds could see that.

“I believe our exercise has been successful,” Babbage said. Zoran nodded, and the two exited the Sleepnet.

Brainiac 5 would have been proud.

--------------------

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.