Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Oh Yeah, That Forum: The Titans » why was SUPERBOY's costume just T-SHIRT and JEANS ?

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: why was SUPERBOY's costume just T-SHIRT and JEANS ?
the boy with UltraPowers
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the boy with UltraPowers   Author's Homepage   Email the boy with UltraPowers         Edit/Delete Post     
did GEOFF [ or Mike McKone ] mention in any interviews why they chose to put CONNER/SUPERBOY in just T-SHIRT and JEANS as his 'TEEN TITANS' costume ??

Matthew.

From: Manchester United Kingdom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
You know kids these day... can't even be bothered to dress up in a proper super-hero suit.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Maybe it was a way to link it to Smallville? No cape, no tights. They already knew they were in trouble with Superboy so maybe keeping him out of a costume kept the trouble at bay longer.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caliente
Honoring the Primary Color Gang

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caliente   Email Caliente         Edit/Delete Post     
It's interesting that you ask that because Cassie's OYL Wonder Girl outfit mimics the t-shirt/jeans theme just horribly, doesn't it? I really dislike that. (Of course, anything beats the t-shirt/hotpants/knee pads/wig thing, so...)

--------------------
Abin: You know what to do with a Cali sandwich? No but neither do Cobie and CJ!
CJ: Yeah, we do. She's smiling, isn't she?

Context... who needs it?

From: Sunny Cali-- er, Planet Earth? | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
Could be an attempt to move them away from the traditional super hero suits in an attempt to appeal to manga fans.

That's my guess, anyway.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vee
Still smoooooth!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vee   Email Vee         Edit/Delete Post     
I suspect it was more a matter of wanting to stay away from the Silver Age Superboy look and avoid further litigation with the Siegles. Although I really think that could have succesfully argued and won the rights to continue using Kon as Superboy. This was not by any stretch of the imagination the same character that Jerry Siegle could have taken credit for.

--------------------
"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"

From: Paragon City on patrol | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
Or it was simply cooler? I don't think it's just manga fans who dug it. Same reason they gave Robin stockings...or gave him less green. Just a more modern look IMO. I loved it personally.
From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mhr_kara
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mhr_kara   Author's Homepage   Email mhr_kara         Edit/Delete Post     
i liked the t-shirt/jeans costume too.
From: Earth-247 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
I also favored the jeans/black T-shirt.

there's no reason real clothes can't be used for SH costumes. It worked for Kon, and for Jack Knight, too.

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caliente
Honoring the Primary Color Gang

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caliente   Email Caliente         Edit/Delete Post     
Yeah but it was different with Jack Knight. He didn't have an "I don't care" attitude-- he actually didn't care. About his looks, anyway. It worked with who he was.

For Conner it was more like... he didn't want to care but had something to prove. And that only came through more when he moved from Young Justice to Teen Titans but his image didn't reflect it.

I think that's what annoyed me most of all. Well, that and the fact that only an idiot would fall for the "glasses" secret identity when his clothes barely changed from one to the other.

--------------------
Abin: You know what to do with a Cali sandwich? No but neither do Cobie and CJ!
CJ: Yeah, we do. She's smiling, isn't she?

Context... who needs it?

From: Sunny Cali-- er, Planet Earth? | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
The jeans/t-shirt look just seems to me really silly. The jeans especially are really impractical for fighting crime, especially for a hero as "physical" as Superboy. There's a reason why people don't wear jeans to work out.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN
"Bah-weep-Graaaaagnah wheep ni ni bong."

Icon 1 posted      Profile for l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN   Email l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN         Edit/Delete Post     
i don't know, the whole Jeans/t-shirt thing just screamed "Abercrombe & Finch" reject to me, along with the 90's George clooney "ceasar" hair cut.

--------------------
Judging yourself right is a
destination, i'm just on a journey

http://pnubaumturk.deviantart.com/

From: Yonkers N.Y | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omni Craig
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Omni Craig   Email Omni Craig         Edit/Delete Post     
I liked the look. I think the black T-shirt was representative of the darkness that loomed behind the "S", since we discover at the end of TT#1 that Lex Luthor is the other DNA match.

Conner's look also reminded me of Iron Munro, and I thought Arn was a great post-Crisis character!!!

--------------------
Craig C.

- Time travel stories are told in chronillogical order.

From: Santa Ana, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Caliente:
Yeah but it was different with Jack Knight. He didn't have an "I don't care" attitude-- he actually didn't care. About his looks, anyway. It worked with who he was.

Jack did care - but he didn't want to wear a standard costume. It didn't fit his sense of style.
From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
Chalk up my vote for liking the jeans and T look. It looked good on him, and I've never been a fan of the 'underwear on the outside' / trunks over tights look.

I'd like to see more super-heroes in their civies, or at least move into more updated looks (Robin changing his costume and becoming Nightwing was a *huge* upgrade, as far as I'm concerned).

IMO, the whole notion of the colorful supersuit has been used a bit too often to cover up for artistic limitations. Sure, they can't all be Van Gogh, but when an artist puts Steve Rogers, Hank Pym and Clint Barton together in civilain clothes, and you can't tell them apart, this is a problem. Same for Invisible Kid, Colossal Boy, Ultra Boy and Karate Kid. If I can't tell them apart when they *aren't* in their multicolored tights, then the artist isn't trying hard enough to differentiate them.

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.