Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Buy my graphic novel now! (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Buy my graphic novel now!
jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimgallagher           Edit/Delete Post     
Greetings, Legion Worlders! For the past 5 years I have been working on my very own graphic novel, based on characters from Greek mythology. It is FINALLY done and is now available for purchase on line at:

http://indyplanet.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=5633

It will also be available soon in digital format!

Please help me spread the word! I need to make a killing on this thing so I can quit my job and live like RJ Brande! LOL!

--------------------
Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com

From: Champaign, IL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
Hey - that's awesome! Congratulations on getting it done - good luck!
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

My website is comiing along. The Characters and Sketches sections are now live and the Buy the Book link takes you where you need to go. The How I did it section is coming along but not up yet. The contact the author link is not up yet.

http://www.dodeka12.com/

--------------------

From: Champaign, IL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

The How I did it section is now up!

--------------------

jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

The Talk to the Author message board is now up and running!

--------------------

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
I had *NO IDEA* you were an artist and author--! Seems strange I didn't know, as long as I have "known" you via the web.

HUGE CONGRATS to you on this milestone!! I'm very very proud and trying to eradicate my smidge of envy! [Wink]

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Looks great, Jim!

That IndyPlanet site has a LOT of interesting books. Didn't know about it before.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

So, have you placed your orders yet?

--------------------

jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

The first review is in!

Ronn Karr, one of the guys on one of the other comic book message boards I subscribe to had this to say:

Parts of it I didn't quite follow what was going on, but overall I enjoyed it. My favorite parts were about the animal characters, like when the spider helps the minotaur. That was really fun! The artwork is mostly good, if unconventional (which is fine by me). I would have liked to see the women generally look a little more feminine and less masculine, even the ones with wings and claws, but that's me. I'm not sure how much that was in the penciling and how much it was maybe in the inking. You kind of have to exaggerate female features and tone down anything masculine (like strong chins) to make women read as feminine in comic book art. More half tones thrown it would've been cool too, but would've meant more work and more time I guess. Anyway, you're definitely a talented guy. If you ever want to go more mainstream I think maybe you could do a graphic novel telling the mythology straight up based faithfully on the source material. I think there's a market for that sort of educational stuff. What you did is good though... really unique and interesting... you should definitely be proud of it. One of the cool things about the book is that it does relate to the original myths, and (in my case anyway) gets you interested enough to get on Google (or the Wikipedia links on your website) and look stuff up that you either forgot over the years or just never learned before.

--------------------

jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

Okay, so considering how long I've been posting on these boards I can't believe at least a few of you people aren't curious enough to buy my book! Come on, Folks! Support your fellow Legion fan in his creative endeavor!

--------------------

He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I've visited your website, Jim, and I can tell you put a lot of hard work into the graphic novel. Just the same, the subject matter does not interest me and, even though $12 is more than reasonable, I'm choosing to spend what little money I have on other things these days.

I imagine others feel the same way I do: message board posting has nothing to do with whether or not I will buy a product. I have several RL friends who write books, but I won't buy some of them if the subject matter does not interest me. Nor do I expect them to buy my book unless it's something they are genuinely interested in.

If it's a good book, it will find its audience.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
I got the book (took a while to reach the hinterlands here) and started it last night. Will post more when I finish, but it's a very absorbing read. Like Ronn Karr, I'm somewhat familiar with the Greek mythological characters, but don't remember them all. Jim does a great job of explaining concisely who is who and what they're known for.

The story opens with an old woman being attacked, so you're rooting for the poor old woman and then...surprise! It was a good hook to get one interested.

Also, it was nice to see the Titans towering over the other characters, as Titans should. Can't say I've read many myth-based comics before!

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

I finished Jason and the New Argonauts a while ago, just slow to get to reviews.

The book was a great read; it had some meat to it, which a lot of current comics lack. Themis assembles a group of people/gods who Zeus has wronged in order to demand justice. They plan to bring their case to the Fates but first, they must find out where the Fates are - either nobody knows, or nobody's talking. You get the impression that the Fates are like mafia kingpins; nobody wants trouble from them. The group travels on Jason's ship, the Argo (hence the title) seeking information about the Fates, having their own internal squabbles and encountering many mythological (to us) characters.

I love the idea of these characters seeking redress; in most mythological stories, no one questions what happens to them. In this story, you find characters who are actually suffering from being turned into half-arachnid, or compelled to cry endless tears, or turned into harpies, and they all have distinctive personalities.

The story ends with the three Fates, having dispatched one member of the team, discussing what they should do next. A sequel may be in the works, but the story feels complete enough as it stands.

Jim does a great job of bringing these mythological characters to life, explaining succinctly who each one is and how they came to be as they are. There's also a glossary at the back with a brief summary of the players.

I thought the art was great; I never gave much consideration to how any of these characters might look in real life. My favourite page was Themis battling the Gorgons.

-

For $12, I felt like I got a lot more story than three or four comics from DC or Marvel would provide.

[ September 05, 2011, 04:00 AM: Message edited by: Fat Cramer ]

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
That sounds really interesting.
From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

Wow! I just revisited this thread after giving up on it months ago. I had no idea that Fat Cramer had bought or read my book! Thanks a lot for the great review, FC!!!

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.