Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » The Chronicles of Narnia: The Movie (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: The Chronicles of Narnia: The Movie
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Prime:
Narnia kicks ass. Can't wait for the movie!!!

quote:
Originally posted by CJ Taylor:
Movie? Whachou talking 'bout Kippers?

They doing all 7 books? The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe? Details dagnabbit.

quote:
Originally posted by Lightning Lad:
The best place for info is http://www.narniaweb.com/ since they have an up-to-date cast list and news. The movie started filming in New Zealand in June and, I believe, is expected to be ready for release the end (maybe Christmas) of next year.

-

quote:
Originally posted by RTVU2:
The casting for the White Witch is perfect. The kid playing Peter just dosen't look likes peter too me but all the other kids look great. Maybe we should start a new discussion thread about this?

Discuss!

[ October 13, 2004, 09:02 AM: Message edited by: Lightning Lad ]

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Never read any of these, although I've heard a little about them here and there.

What's the premise? Will I like it?

In case you don't remember, I LOVED the Harry Potter books and am I big Veritgo fan if that helps...

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
Heh. I knew nothing about this either [Smile]

Read LWW when I was a kid, and enjoyed it (although I didn't read any of the other books for years. Still haven't read the last two). The adaptation to date that sticks in my head, tho, is the live-action BBC one from something like 10 years ago (Still got the double-VHS of that somewhere), so it'll be interesting for me to compare the two.

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
What's the premise? Will I like it?

LWW? Four siblings (two boys, two girls) get evacuated to a big house in the country during WW2. While they're exploring it one day, the youngest kid (Lucy) finds a magic wardrobe that she can walk right through into Narnia, a country where there's no humans, but most of the animals are Talking Beasts. She meets a faun, he takes her home for dinner, but although he was ordered by the White Witch (evil ruler of the land, who keeps the land in perpetual winter) to turn over any humans (there's a prophecy that when two "Sons of Adam" and two "Daughters of Eve" are crowned on the Four Thrones of Cair Paravel, she'll be rendered powerless [or die, I forget]) to her, he can't go through with it & helps her home. And, since she arrives back less than a second after she left and the wardrobe seemingly doesn't work, none of the others believe her.

She tries again, on her own, later, and gets through again. But this time Edmund (next-youngest) follows her, meaning to taunt her and actually makes it in too. He meets the White Witch and gets enthralled. Lucy meets him on their way back, but he denies all knowledge of Narnia to the others.

Eventually, all four get in (they're trying to hide from the housekeeper who doesn't like them), and cue the rest (what, you thought I'd spoil it all? [Smile] )

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

I kind of like hearing about things like this when they're well into the seventh book. This way I don't have to wait for the next one [Razz]

I'm dying for the next Harry Potter and the next Camulod Chronicles installments...

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
From the pictures I saw all the kids look spot on. Although I think "Lucy" looks a bit too young.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
Narnia! Yay! Alsan rocks and roars! Woo!

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Thanks 'boot! I'm interested a little already, and I'm thinking of starting a new series of books...
Director Lad
aka Sudro Brown II

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Director Lad   Email Director Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
I kind of like hearing about things like this when they're well into the seventh book. This way I don't have to wait for the next one [Razz]

Well then, you're all set. There's only seven books in Lewis's Narnia Chronicles and there will never be any more ('cause he's dead, and 'cause he ended the series very nicely in book seven). However, you should make an effort to read the books in the order in which they were written. Lewis didn't tell the story of Narnia in a strictly chronological progression and I think that works for the overall story. The original order of publication is as follows:

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
Prince Caspian
Voyage of the Dawn Treader
The Silver Chair
A Horse and his Boy
The Magician's Nephew
The Last Battle

Though Magician's Nephew is chronologically first, LWW is really the introduction to the series, and MN is mostly there to give you, finally, the background on Narnia that puts the previous books into a larger perspective and sets the stage for the final book. HahB chronologically happens during LWW, but the flow of stories from LWW through SC shouldn't be interrupted. Later editors have reordered the books into the chronological order, but I think that's a disservice to the series and the readers.

In general, the Chronicles of Narnia is a wonderful, uplifting story for all ages. I credit it for my on-going love of fantastic fiction more than any other influence.

From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
CK, they were written by C.S. Lewis. Recently, they've been republished in an order more in line with the overall story's chronology, not the order in which he wrote them. However, Lewis does an incredible job of creating awe in his first book, The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe.

It's a great series set in a fantastical realm where animals think and talk along with humans, where magical creatures are the norm, and people are a rare breed. There's been talk of Christian undertones, but the age group of kids these were written for won't necessarily pick them up. It's Harry Potter for a more innocent, less jaded time.

There's seven books, you could finish them in a month. It's worth the effort.

From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Okay, so DL is faster than I am.

quote:
Originally posted by Reboot:

The adaptation to date that sticks in my head, tho, is the live-action BBC one from something like 10 years ago (Still got the double-VHS of that somewhere), so it'll be interesting for me to compare the two.

I was first introduced in a PBS animated feature some 20 years ago. It made me track down the books. I never saw the BBC versions, and haven't been able to locate the animated feature.

Manoman, this has made my week!!!!!

From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
IMO, A Horse and his Boy, although set in Narnia and with cameos by the other characters is the one book that could stand on its own.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot

quote:
Originally posted by CJ Taylor:
quote:
Originally posted by Reboot:

The adaptation to date that sticks in my head, tho, is the live-action BBC one from something like 10 years ago (Still got the double-VHS of that somewhere), so it'll be interesting for me to compare the two.

I was first introduced in a PBS animated feature some 20 years ago. It made me track down the books. I never saw the BBC versions, and haven't been able to locate the animated feature.
I've only seen LWW of the BBC adapations - although I've seen stills from Prince Caspian and Voyage of the Dawn Treader, so I know they did at least those two as well). Apart from Aslan (and a few cel-animated background creatures), it's all guys-in-suits for the animals, but I still enjoyed it [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by Quislet, Esq.:
IMO, A Horse and his Boy, although set in Narnia and with cameos by the other characters is the one book that could stand on its own.

LWW itself could certainly stand on it's own as well, even if the sequels were never made (cue "as if"s [Smile] ). But yeah, Horse and His Boy is extremely tangential (more of a "Narnian Universe" story than an outright Narnia tale.) And I don't like humans being introduced into the Narnian past in Magican's Nephew

--------------------

Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I've recently seen both the animated version and the BBC live action version available on DVD. A real nice boxed set was produced for the BBC version. The BBC version, though, only covered four books; LWW, Prince Caspian, the Voyage of the Dawn Treader and the Silver Chair. PC and VofDT were done as one production.

[ October 13, 2004, 10:54 AM: Message edited by: Lightning Lad ]

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rtvu2
here we go again....

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rtvu2   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I once read that the Narnia books should be read three times in a person’s life span. First when they are young and can still believe in fanciful places and people, second as they reach adulthood and are capable of understanding what the books are trying to communicate, and third before they die to rediscover their childhood and innocence.

Well I read them when I was younger and again about a year ago as I transition from college student to quasi-adult. I do have to say that LWW has a huge biblical undertone, something I would never have seen when I was younger. And reading the books actually did help me understand what was going on in my life and appreciate what is to come.

My favorites would have to be Prince Caspian and The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. And I remember reading the Last Battle and feeling sad that I would never get to read about Narnia again. Guess that will be the same feeling when the last harry Potter book comes out.

From: Texas | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.