Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » The Substitutes (Feb. 17) ... SPOILERS (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: The Substitutes (Feb. 17) ... SPOILERS
numberonelegionfan
Defender Of The Legacy Of Rassilon (Gallifrey:Planet Of The Time Lords)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for numberonelegionfan   Author's Homepage   Email numberonelegionfan         Edit/Delete Post     
Hi-lar-i-ous!!!!

Great to see Element Lad, Sun Boy, Block and Tyroc in action...sadly no lines.

Matter Eater Lad and Star Boy are selected as the newest members. Star Boy is not only the Star Boy of the current series, he has the ability to take mass from an object and transfer it to other objects/people etc. Interesting touch! I could be wrong but isn't M-E's costume sort of like the one he had in Pre-Zero Hour Legionnaires, y'know with the tooth emblem? IIRC, that version of Tenzil had a tiny tooth emblem.

Porcupine Pete as the Subs' leader is interesting. Infectious Lass having the same stuffed voice type as Chuckie Finster from the Rugrats...koool! Stone Boy speaking halfway through the episode and his friends' reaction: "Wow, you can talk!" is priceless! Chlorophyll Kid is pretty much what I expected and is taken straight out from Giffen's Legion of Substitute Heroes Special, although I miss the original look from the Adventure Comics era. Color Kid's look is also from the Subs Special...another nice touch.

Starfinger had Mark II's from the later part of the Baxter Series and Lars Hanscom individual finger abilities...and yes like many of you I laughed so hard I nearly broke my furniture with his thumb power that enabled him to fly and the other finger that made those creatures. Weird accent though.

Any thoughts?

[ February 17, 2007, 01:53 PM: Message edited by: Nightcrawler ]

--------------------
The best way to find out where you're from is to find out where you're going and then work backwards.
Where are you going?
I don't know!

Spooooooon!!!

From: London, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Awesomegirl
Queen of Awesome

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Awesomegirl   Email Awesomegirl         Edit/Delete Post     
This episode was AWESOME!! The subs were a freakin' riot, and so was Starfinger, who reminded me a of Sigfried and Roy with the accent and everything. And some more awesome things....

Bouncing Boy's pep talk to the rejects
The cameos, THE CAMEOS!
Porcipine Pete's mom
Stone boy speaks!
And who can forget Matter-Eater Lad? I was kind of expecting him to be one of the rejected ones, but I think he proved that his power can be useful when he ate that bomb.

Feel free to add on to the list...

--------------------
"Do, or do not. There is no try." -Yoda

From: Naboo | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bouncing Boy 61
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bouncing Boy 61   Email Bouncing Boy 61         Edit/Delete Post     
I got to watch todays episode and it was a good one. I won't reveal any info in case I screw up the spoiler. Anyways it's a must watch. I will ask one question. For those who did watch it was that tall figure at the end of the episode Colossal Boy?

--------------------
"Anyone got a patch? I think I have a flat"

From: Michigan | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bouncing Boy 61
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bouncing Boy 61   Email Bouncing Boy 61         Edit/Delete Post     
I thought it was great to see the substitues. Chlorophyll Kid and Stone Boy were great. Not to mention Matter Eater Lad. Was that Colossal Boy at the end making a brief cameo when the league was all together with the subs? Does he appear in any episodes. Haven't seen them all yet

[ February 17, 2007, 01:20 PM: Message edited by: Bouncing Boy 61 ]

--------------------
"Anyone got a patch? I think I have a flat"

From: Michigan | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
I did like that they paid tribute to the original Subs story in that the Subs handled the real menace while the Legion was distracted.

I just wonder why Tyroc? I think Tellus or Dawnstar would have been a better pick for a cameo shot.

And seeing how Star Boy has Light Lass' power, does this mean no Ayla for the series?

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Bouncing Boy 61:
I thought it was great to see the substitues. Chlorophyll Kid and Stone Boy were great. Not to mention Matter Eater Lad. Was that Colossal Boy at the end making a brief cameo when the league was all together with the subs? Does he appear in any episodes. Haven't seen them all yet

I'd have to see it again. I think the tall one was Blok.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Awesomegirl
Queen of Awesome

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Awesomegirl   Email Awesomegirl         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Quislet, Esq.:
And seeing how Star Boy has Light Lass' power, does this mean no Ayla for the series?

Actually, I think they're just going to give her lighting powers just like Lightning lad and Mekt(that probably would make more sense anyway). She might even appear in Chain of Command, considering the episode takes place on Winath.

--------------------
"Do, or do not. There is no try." -Yoda

From: Naboo | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
Looks like when Ayla shows up, she'll have lightning powers like her brothers, since Star Boy has the anti-gravity thing covered.

I did not expect so many happy surprises from the previews. Star Boy! Element Lad! Sun Boy! Blok! And, uh, Tyroc.

Nice to see Polar Boy and Fire Lad at least in the crowd, if not actual Subs this time around. Stone Boy rocked. And no, that wasn't meant as a pun, but I'll just run with it... Yay for Porcupine Pete! Poor Color Kid, he just blasted into the fray with such enthusiasm, I felt bad for him. I was kinda hoping he'd figure out to turn Starfinger's helmet opaque or something, but that probably would have made him an even bigger threat, flailing around, death-rays everywhere...

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
This episode didn't meet my expectations from the previews. I am disappointed in Star Boy's added powers and the prevention of a Light Lass.

Polar Boy, Night Girl, and Fire Lad were sorely missed. And Infectious Lass in the cartoon just seemed to pale in comparison to the wonderful (perfect!) version appearing in TALES OF THE UNEXPECTED.

Otherwise, I enjoyed it. But, like the current Legion comic...I could see the possibilites for it to be a lot better.

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sketch Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sketch Lad           Edit/Delete Post     
Awesome, hilarious episode, as expected!

I LOVE that Drura seemed like she was suffering from allergies with the stuffy nose and "bloodshot" eyes. She was very cute and brave and sweet.

My wife doesn't know these characters very well, so when she saw Color Kid with the rainbow on his shirt, she asked "Is that Alternative Lifestyle Lad?" which was a fair question and actually, pretty much spot on! His flamboyant personality fit quite right, IMO. He was fun.

LOVE that Stone Boy was silent for so long, and then brilliant later! Excellent.

TENZIL was AMAZING! He ate that bomb. He ate the ALIEN! That's not normal, but the "tastes like chiken" line was funny.

STARFINGER cracked me up with his Sigfield and/or Roy personality.... best line of the show..."What? Do I owe you money or somezing?" HAH LOL!

Loved seeing Jan and Dirk and Blok and Tyroc! I was hoping for a Dreamy cameo, but there was so much else going on, I can't complain.

I could go on and on! This was great.

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sketch Lad
Advisor

I've figured out how to do screen caps, so don't be surprised if I end up posting that stuff!

Colossal Boy AND Blok were in that group shot at the end of the ep. Also, there's a dark shape on Blok's shoulder that *must* be Shrinking Violet!

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

Sketch Lad
Advisor

Nope, it's *definitely* Vi. I saw better details in the next scene!

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

superboymddjr
Quiet member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for superboymddjr   Email superboymddjr         Edit/Delete Post     
I may be in the minority - I am kind of disappointed....kind of mixed feelings....not exactly my favorite episode... I thought that Polar Boy and Night Girl would appear in it because I felt that Polar Boy is the soul of the Sub Heroes while Night Girl is the heart of it. No Fire Lad, Polar Boy, and Night Girl - kind of strange without them. Porcupine Pete really shone...but the one who really stole the show is Stone Boy. I was like huh? in the beginning of the show...until he spoke up, showing his intelligence...really caught me off guard and made me smile because I remember his second appearance that he made into the Legion but turned down. Yeah, that's Stone Boy. [Smile]

good to see Sun Boy, Element Lad, Blok and Tyroc - it was really delighted to see them in action especially Tyroc and Blok.

did not catch Colossal Boy and Vi in the end. [Frown]

I think that it's funny to induct Star Boy in the Legion because he used to be a member of Subs when he killed Kenz during the Adventure Era. Hmmmm.

I thought that Ferro Lad would make an appearance and get inducted and would be the one who would sacrifice his life battling Sun Eater in upcoming episode...so wait and see.

From: Hayward, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN
"Bah-weep-Graaaaagnah wheep ni ni bong."

Icon 1 posted      Profile for l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN   Email l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN         Edit/Delete Post     
Frikkin loved the epsiode but it just didn't feel the same without Polar boy, Night girl and Fire Lad.(although he was there for the tryouts.) and i liked how Starfinger seemed to be an amalgamation of Johnny Bravo and Senior Jr. from Kim Possible.

[ February 17, 2007, 03:43 PM: Message edited by: l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN ]

--------------------
Judging yourself right is a
destination, i'm just on a journey

http://pnubaumturk.deviantart.com/

From: Yonkers N.Y | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doublechinner
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doublechinner   Email doublechinner         Edit/Delete Post     
Best. Show. Ever.

Tenzil: "Now I'm Matter-Eater Lad"
Garth: "Cool name!"

Says it all.

I think this show demonstrates conclusively that there are no small Legion characters, just small Legion creators. No disrespect to Waid and Kitson, but really, it's just not the Legion without Bouncing Boy and M-E Lad.

Even my wife got into this episode. Pete's mom, the phone booth scenes, the "fabulous" Color Kid, the disco Star Finger (I think he's the Governator, personally). The 4-year-old LOVED Stone Boy -- "they have to carry him everywhere!"

I defend using Porcupine Pete and Infectious Lass over Polar Boy and Night Girl. For one, Pete and Drura were introduced in the first Legion story I ever read, and I have loved them ever since. Second, let's face it, they're just funnier than Brek and Lydda, both of whom could really qualify for the Legion itself in a just universe. Polar Boy and Night Girl would have just been annoyed and embarrassed by the other Subs. Here, they were all on the same trajectory of self-discovery and self-confidence.

Whoever thought of the brown fuzzies coming out of the pinkie, then floating into the air and morphing into ozone-eating Kirby-bots, deserves an Emmy, or an Eisner, or something. That's just amazing stuff.

--------------------
...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"

From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.