Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » The Substitutes (Feb. 17) ... SPOILERS (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: The Substitutes (Feb. 17) ... SPOILERS
Awkward Pause Boy
Candidate

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Awkward Pause Boy   Email Awkward Pause Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Quite an enjoyable episode. I had some doubts until Starfinger stole the show. The cameos by Element Lad, Tyroc, & Blok put it over the top. Porcupine Pete was fantastic, especially because he took over for Polar Boy, & it would take a very unusual depiction of Polar Boy for me to be able to appreciate him. Anyway, I'm sure we'll see more of him, Night Girl, & Fire Lad down the road. Stone Boy falling on Starfinger was quite a tribute to the Substitutes special issue from Giffen. But the take on Starfinger was brilliantly original. I do hope we see more of him dwn the road too.
From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
THAT WAS THE SINGLE KEWLEST THING I HAVE EVER SEEN.

Seriously, it's like the payoff for fans who were holding the torch for Matter-Eater Lad and Infectious Lass all these years.

Bouncing Boy, Matter-Eater Lad and Infectious Lass-- COOL, after all these years! Yes, the kiddies are going to fall in love with these characters, no doubt.

Star Boy and M-E Lad showed their worth right off the bat, didn't they?

Looks like my guy Kem already had some pals/fans in the LSH! And HOW freakin' kewl was his audition?!?

My only complaint: No Polar Boy or Night Girl, but an arguement could be made that the inclusion of those 2 would have made the Subs TOO powerful.

I also hope Dru's inhaler was just a sight gag; otherwise, I ADORED her! Loved her nerdy/nasal voice!

Pete filled Brek's shoes admirably as the "Let's Go, Subs!" leader-guy. And his MOM...! *tee hee!*

Stone Boy knows how to make an entrance!

Ral will be a force to reckon with once he gains more control of his plants.

I actually enjoyed Starfinger, for like maybe the first time ever. Loved him here!

All this and Tyroc, Blok, Dirk and Jan too!

I laughed out loud with delight at least 4 times, and broke into applause 3 times!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rtvu2
here we go again....

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rtvu2   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I think that is why Polar Boy and Night Girl weren't shown. They have bigger plans for them.....
From: Texas | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Now that I've read all comments:

One could even argue that Fire Lad would have made them too powerful. So I guess overall it makes sense; and I totally agree with (iirc) D'chinner on page 1, stating that the Subs featured were pretty much at the same point in life. Risking the wrath of disappointed Brek and Lydda fans, I'm going to go ahead and fall on the side of saying it was a good call.

I didn't even notice how "FABULOUS" (if you get my drift) Color Kid was apparently portrayed, as I was too busy fawning over Tenzil, Dru and Pete... I'll have to rewatch and observe closely! That's frikkin' awesome!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Rockhopper Lad
Kills Threads Dead

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rockhopper Lad   Author's Homepage   Email Rockhopper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I just watched it and loved it!

Color Kid was so cute with the "chartreuse, magenta, lavender" thing. Yes, "fabulous" is a good word for him. He also bears a passing resemblance to Joe-Boy's design of Rockhopper Lad, which makes me love Color Kid all the more! [Big Grin]

That, Tenzil, Drura and all the others just made the whole thing a riot.

I missed Brek and Lydda, but I expect we'll see them again.

--------------------
The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."

From: The Pyngwyn Colonies of Planet Hyustyn | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Sketch Lad:
I've figured out how to do screen caps, so don't be surprised if I end up posting that stuff!

I'm actually working on screen capping all the episodes, probably around 1,000 images from each. I'll be adding them to my LegionPics site and posting a link here.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Malvolio
Devil's Advocate

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malvolio   Email Malvolio         Edit/Delete Post     
Face it, no one episode is going to give us everything. I'm still waiting to see my favorite, Chameleon Boy, but I remember him being prominent in the New Kids in Town episode of Superman, so I'm not too upset that he hasn't appeared here yet.

I loved this episode, esp. Stone Boy being the one to make the connection between the two cases. I had a feeling that there would be a connection somehow.

--------------------
Watching television is not an activity.

From: Freeville, NY | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ultra lad
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ultra lad   Email ultra lad         Edit/Delete Post     
no polarboy or nightgirl great episode anyway love the cameos and remember brek emblem appears in the opening credits so at some point he joins the legion wish ultraboy was in it one of my top 5 legionaires
From: texas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doublechinner
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doublechinner   Email doublechinner         Edit/Delete Post     
I was so delighted by the Subs I had forgotten about E-Lad, Sun Boy, Blok and Tyroc. Didn't Brainy say something like "way to go, Tyroc"? That HAS to be the only positive feedback the character has ever gotten from a fellow Legionnaire. Should have said "Right on, Tyroc!" but the sentiment is appreciated. I'm already envisioning a disco death-match between Starfinger and Tyroc. Why not? Starfinger's got one power for each digit, and Tyroc's voice does all different things, right? It's a perfect match up. Color Kid can DJ and provide a fabulous light show. Someone send this to Tucker. Or Torres, for that matter--they could do it in the comic!

--------------------
...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"

From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tekwych
Magikal Mystikal Wych!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tekwych   Author's Homepage   Email Tekwych         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Bouncing Boy 61:
Was that Colossal Boy at the end making a brief cameo when the league was all together with the subs? Does he appear in any episodes. Haven't seen them all yet

It was and he has, before the opening credits last week but he did not use his powers.
quote:
Originally posted by Quislet, Esq.:
I just wonder why Tyroc? I think Tellus or Dawnstar would have been a better pick for a cameo shot.

I think both Tellus and Dawnstar have BIG story potential. Tyroc probably won't get any significant part in this version of the Legion so a quick throw away scene gets him into the 'canon' and available for a figure.

I REALLY CAN'T WAIT for a story featuring Dawny and Drake. The animated version of Wildfire should be GREAT. There will be plenty of story potential for those two in, I hope, season 2 (or 3).

--------------------
I take pride in my mental instability.
Go! Figure

From: New Mexico | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
Clips from this episode are now available.
From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neemers
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neemers   Email Neemers         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Malvolio:
Face it, no one episode is going to give us everything. I'm still waiting to see my favorite, Chameleon Boy, but I remember him being prominent in the New Kids in Town episode of Superman, so I'm not too upset that he hasn't appeared here yet.

I loved this episode, esp. Stone Boy being the one to make the connection between the two cases. I had a feeling that there would be a connection somehow.

You know he's got to be showing up sometime, though. There are just too many things that can be done with a shape-shifter to avoid it forever.
From: Oregon | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sketch Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sketch Lad           Edit/Delete Post     
It occurred to me that maybe the creators who work on this series wanted to pay tribute to Dave Cockrum, so they used his most famous Legion Rejects, Infectious Lass and Porcupine Pete, for this story, instead of the classic Polar Boy and Night Girl.

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

Sketch Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sketch Lad           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Lightning Lad:
quote:
Originally posted by Sketch Lad:
I've figured out how to do screen caps, so don't be surprised if I end up posting that stuff!

I'm actually working on screen capping all the episodes, probably around 1,000 images from each. I'll be adding them to my LegionPics site and posting a link here.
That's quite an undertaking! It is a little addictive, too.

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

numberonelegionfan
Defender Of The Legacy Of Rassilon (Gallifrey:Planet Of The Time Lords)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for numberonelegionfan   Author's Homepage   Email numberonelegionfan         Edit/Delete Post     
"TENZIL was AMAZING! He ate that bomb. He ate the ALIEN! That's not normal, but the "tastes like chicken" line was funny."

That line was also said by Bubbles of the Powerpuff Girls in that episode where she impersonated Boomer of the Rowdyruff Boys and had to eat a cockroach.

--------------------
The best way to find out where you're from is to find out where you're going and then work backwards.
Where are you going?
I don't know!

Spooooooon!!!

From: London, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.