Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » 2.4 Chained Lightning - Spoilers & Images (Page 4)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: 2.4 Chained Lightning - Spoilers & Images
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
As a life-long "EYE-la" pronouncer, color me devestated!

Oh well, too late to change now... I'll blame it on my accent.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sketch Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sketch Lad           Edit/Delete Post     
I haven't read all the posts yet, my internet connection has been troubled until today.

I'm one of the Ranzz Fanzz, so I was more than pleased with this episode. Loved the monkey song! It's great that Mekt isn't all bad! Garth's arm is cool now! To quote him, "SWEET!" I kept thinking about how Ayla was child in LotR, so this echos that. I'm good with it, but I hope the speed up her growth and make her Lightning Lass the Legionnaire sometime soon. I hope they DO NOT make her the annoying lil sister in the group, ala Lori Morning!!!!

Loved spunky lil raspy voiced Vi!!! I love how she held her own with Brainy and how she had lots of action, and ...a personal thing here.. good facial close-ups. Hee! ... she snorts!

I do see Lash's post right above mine as I compose this. I'm an "A" Luh pronouncer, so it worked for me. I've seen this debate on the internet as long as I've had a computer. I know it doesn't have to be the definitive pronunciation, but it's major.

So, now I'll read the three previous pages of posts.

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Man From Cargg
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Man From Cargg   Email The Man From Cargg         Edit/Delete Post     
So Ayla has spent 10 years as a cloud thing-ey... like her old costume insignia... I suspect we have a Light Lass in waiting.

Lash... I've always pronounced it Aay-la even though my Grandmother's name was Eye-la. Go figure.

[ October 14, 2007, 08:32 PM: Message edited by: The Man From Cargg ]

--------------------
The poster formerly known as Carggaphile.

From: Hamilton | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rockhopper Lad
Kills Threads Dead

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rockhopper Lad   Author's Homepage   Email Rockhopper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I've always said "ay-la" and not "eye-la", but I felt similarly jolted by their home planet being "winneth" and not "wye-nath". Oh well! Perhaps the original settlers of Winath were Welsh! [Wink]

--------------------
The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."

From: The Pyngwyn Colonies of Planet Hyustyn | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dain
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dain   Email Dain         Edit/Delete Post     
I've always pronounced her name as Eye-la because that's how it'd be pronounced in Greek or Latin.

By the way, did anyone get the feeling that Imperiex and Mekt had a "Star Wars"-y feel between them? Mekt's hood helped. He reminded me of Anakin Skywalker after he turned to the "Dark Side of the Force" and Imperiex was like a combination Darth Vader/Emperor Palpatine. The "cannon" had SW allusions too.
I suppose it's a good thing that Mekt returned to the "Light Side" sooner than Anakin did! [Wink]

From: Somewhere in the Multiverse | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Serenity Doxien
Mimain

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Serenity Doxien   Author's Homepage   Email Serenity Doxien         Edit/Delete Post     
I really liked that episode. I also loved the way Vi laughs! i't cute! tehe. Maybe this holloween, I'll go as Vi and go trick-or-treating.

--------------------
~Serenity~

From: On Mimas (main palace) near Saturn. | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teronna
Hello reality...leave a message after the beep.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Teronna   Email Teronna         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Rockhopper Lad:
I've always said "ay-la" and not "eye-la", but I felt similarly jolted by their home planet being "winneth" and not "wye-nath". Oh well! Perhaps the original settlers of Winath were Welsh! [Wink]

I think in the episode "Champions" in the first season the announcer guys pronounced it "wye-nath". But then in "Chain of Command" it was pronounced "winneth"... [Confused] Can't make up their minds I guess.

[ October 14, 2007, 10:47 PM: Message edited by: Teronna ]

From: Chicago | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yk
between boots

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yk   Email Yk         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by The Man From Cargg:
So Ayla has spent 10 years as a cloud thing-ey... like her old costume insignia... I suspect we have a Light Lass in waiting.

I hadn't made that connection. Good eye.
From: Smallville Sector : Greater Metropolis | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
This episode challenged me in some ways. It played with the "canon" in such a way that I was forced to think, "Should I accept this or not?" To me, this is always a good thing, as it leads me to reassess what the Legion is all about and what parts of this particular version fit and which parts don't.

For example, I, too, was disappointed that Ayla remains a child. But, in the context of the story, it makes sense. Even if she were somehow reincorporated as a young adult, she would still be missing 10 years of her life. She would be a child in an adult's body. The chosen outcome was probably the simplest and most direct idea, and it leaves her story open for later development.

I was pleased by Mekt's portrayal. This episode gave him a far better motivation for turning evil than the twin/solo angle ever did. Simply put, he and Garth blamed each other for Ayla's apparent death. In the end, Mekt even blamed himself, which probably led him to think of himself as a "bad" person. In the origin sequence, I was touched by his plea to Garth and Ayla to not get him in trouble with their parents; I'm not used to thinking of crazy Mekt as an ordinary teenager with ordinary concerns. But this scene made his transformation at the end much more believable and heart warming.

(Incidently, I believe this is the first version of the Ranzz origin where Mekt initiates the idea of the lightning beasts recharging their craft. In pre-boot continuity, it was Garth's idea; in the reboot, it was Ayla's.)

Glad to see Violet get a major role, but there were two problems, as noted by previous posters: The snort was waaaaay overdone, and, once again, there's only one girl Legionnaire involved! C'mon, TV people: Eight-year-old boys are not the only ones watching this show.

Garth's cyber-arm: As with the death of Triplicate Girl, this worked well in the context of the story, but I, too, though that Garth's reaction was too glib. I don't care how cool a bionic arm is, nobody wants to lose a limb! (It was left ambiguous, though, whether he lost the limb or whether it was just badly injured.)

Imperiex continues to be the stereotypical world-conquering villain. I can live with that for now, as so many other interesting things are going on. But I hope he develops a personality beyond wanting to conquer the universe for no other reason than it's there. That's so 29th century.

The verdict: Everything in this episode does indeed fit what the Legion is all about, even down to the fact that it isn't exactly what many of us were expecting. Most impotantly, it told a good story well, which, in itself, makes most of the changes acceptable and exciting.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Here are the promised new images along with a synopsis and quick episode airing update, courtesy of the WB.

Fans got more than Lightning Lad's back story in the Saturday, October 13 episode of "Legion of Super Heroes" -- they also learned of a new addition to his power: a cybernetic arm. In the episode, entitled "Chained Lightning," Lightning Lad discovered that his sister, Ayla, long thought to be lost in the same Lightning Beast attack that gave him and his brother, Mekt, their powers, is really alive. However, Ayla was actually trapped in the form of pure electromagnetic energy. With the help of the Legion, Lightning Lad was able to save Alya before Imperiex could harness this energy for his own diabolical use.

But before saving Ayla, Lightning Lad had to be saved himself. Lightning Lad's right arm was severely damaged by a blast from Imperiex. Brainiac 5 performed microsurgery (with the help of Shrinking Violet) to give Lightning Lad a cybernetic arm loaded with explosive charges, lasers and, of course, lightning -- all powered and amplified by his own bio-electric energy. As Violet says of his new arm, "It makes things go boom!"

Lightning Lad is voiced by Andy Milder ("Weeds"), while James Arnold Taylor ("The Boondocks," "Star
Wars: Clone Wars") and Kari Wahlgren ("Ben 10") voice Mekt and Ayla, respectively. "Chained Lightning" was directed by Brandon Vietti and written by Matt Wayne.

This Saturday, October 20, "Legion of Super Heroes" will air a repeat of the season premiere's second half: "The Man From the Edge of Tomorrow, Part 2." The episode will air in its customary time at 11:00 a.m. ET/PT as part of the Kids' WB! Lineup on The CW Network. An all-new episode, "The Karate Kid," will premiere on Saturday, October 27.

Attached you¹ll find a few images from "Chained Lightning" showing Lightning Lad's new arm.

Click for fullsize image

Click for fullsize image

Click for fullsize image

Click for fullsize image

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dain
Active

He Who Wanders said
quote:
The verdict: Everything in this episode does indeed fit what the Legion is all about, even down to the fact that it isn't exactly what many of us were expecting. Most impotantly, it told a good story well, which, in itself, makes most of the changes acceptable and exciting.
Very nice analysis, and that last paragraph says it all. That's why most of Legion fans agree that the cartoon is really, really, really good "Legion".

Loved the pictures L.Lad. So, we'll have one more new episode in October! Good! [Big Grin]

From: Somewhere in the Multiverse | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tromium
Decrystallized

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tromium           Edit/Delete Post     
Comics Continuum also has a rundown of the November episodes:

Legion episodes for November include: the new "Who Am I?" on Nov. 3; "Cry Wolf" on Nov. 10; the new "Unnatural Alliances" on Nov. 17; and "Chained Lightning" on Nov. 24.

I wonder if "Who Am I" is the episode where Saturn Girl wakes up from her coma. [Wink]

From: Reimagined Trom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dain
Active

And two more episodes in November? Cool!!
I hope Imra will be active again, too.

What Was Wrong With the Reboot? Lad
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for What Was Wrong With the Reboot? Lad           Edit/Delete Post     
Good: Mekt's characterization is good. He loves his sister, Garth, not so much, but Ayla, good. That's true to the Ranzz family character. I always felt like Garth and Mekt disliked each other more, especially as they grew older.

Bad: Lightning Lad's arm. it screams Cyborg from Teen Titans. (and with Cham as our Beast Boy, all we need is a ditzy Dream Girl, Karate Kid, and emo Shadow Lass and TA-DA Teen Titans: 31st Century GO!)

Ugly: did anyone get the "Star Wars" feeling from Mekt and Imperiex and their ultimate weapon. i think Mekt in that cloak, Imperiex's voice, and the whole family betrayal and redemption, didn't help either.

Good: Vi and Brainy's banter. I personally like a little sass/pompousness with my Brainiac 5 (definitely not 3boot sass!). i think it fits him well b/c superX is a jerk, and brainy's got a lot to deal with, and everyone made fun of him in the first 3 minutes of this season... and it's not like he didn't learn his lesson or anything. it taught the 8 year olds to never under estimate your friends/teammates.

Bad: Vi looks a little too goth for me. and i never appreciated "extraverted-aggressive" Vi, didn't they used to call her Shy-Vi for a reason?

Ugly: Snorting Violet

lastly, with Ayla being a kid, i think it's a great idea. the legion is for teens or youth or whatever. i always wished there were some age differences in the group. bring in a younger couple of kids to be mentored! it would make for a great dynamic. older heroes helping younger kids to be heroes is something that makes JSA work, and the legion has so many characters to work with that the show (or comic) could do something like this. so a group of younger legionnaires could be: Light Lass, Invisible Kid, Kid Quatum (either!), XS, GATES!!, Chemical King...

--------------------
everything i like rules. everything you like is terrible.

From: USA #1 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Teronna:
quote:
Originally posted by Rockhopper Lad:

I think in the episode "Champions" in the first season the announcer guys pronounced it "wye-nath". But then in "Chain of Command" it was pronounced "winneth"... [Confused] Can't make up their minds I guess.
Blame it on MLLASH's accent [Wink]

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.