Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » 2.5 Karate Kid - Spoilers & Images (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: 2.5 Karate Kid - Spoilers & Images
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Yay! Calamity King was so awesome!

Er... and I think some other stuff happened in the episode, too...

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN
"Bah-weep-Graaaaagnah wheep ni ni bong."

Icon 1 posted      Profile for l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN   Email l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN         Edit/Delete Post     
hey did anyone else notice Wildfire's insignia during KK's induction oath?

--------------------
Judging yourself right is a
destination, i'm just on a journey

http://pnubaumturk.deviantart.com/

From: Yonkers N.Y | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rockhopper Lad
Kills Threads Dead

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rockhopper Lad   Author's Homepage   Email Rockhopper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
"Lacking-A-Grip-On-Reality Lad"!!!!!

[ROTFLMAO]

That's a keeper! [Big Grin]

--------------------
The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."

From: The Pyngwyn Colonies of Planet Hyustyn | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lurker Lass
Current status: borderline narcoleptic

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lurker Lass   Author's Homepage   Email Lurker Lass         Edit/Delete Post     
Still waitin' on a revolt of the girl legionnaires. Calamatiy kind was a treat, though. Awesome.

Considering that the post-boot Karate Kids were much more zen than the pre-boot, I don't mind the characterization so much. (Actually, might make more sense, even if it is coupled a dime-bag of philosophical liners.) Playing him off Cham kept it from being too annoying.

Speaking of, I'm actually liking this younger, slightly inept Cham. I mean, it's not like the version we're used to in the comics, but he seems much less one-dimensional than Beast Boy was. Shape-shifters do have the ability to be a ridiculously versatile. (I guess that's why most DC shifters have some sort of limitation? Like BB is only animals, Plastic Man is plastic, colours don't usually change...)

I kinda wish Nemesis Kid had his 'develop powers to combat any opponent' instead of just neutralizing, even if it is potentially overkill. (Me? Hypocrisy? Perish the thought...) Like this, he'd be useless against people without powers as well, wouldn't he? And he doesn't even have a bondage fetish to help in combat. I do like the potential set-up for a future 'traitor in the Legion' storyline.

Superman's decision to recruit at a down-and-dirty tournament brawl is a bit questionable - I mean, I'm sure these guys are tough as nails, but I doubt that half the fighters there were Legion material.

By the way, did Grimbor... like, die at the end or something? There were explosions and I didn't see anyone take him into custody...

--------------------
{This has been a Lurker Lass sighting}

From: Somewhere in the Multi-verse | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN:
hey did anyone else notice Wildfire's insignia during KK's induction oath?

*I DID!!* (though I think it was when they were talking about the team beimg stretched thin fighting Imperiex) It's so mean to tease ... I guess that means we won't get a big origin/induction episode though [Frown]

Nice touch with the whole "let's task the useless asian kid to laundry duty" thing [Roll Eyes]

And if Karate Kid appears again still sounding like a fortune cookie, I'm gonna have to hate him (It was almost as bad as DnA's "Think fast" motto with Brin)

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
When I saw Calamity King, I thought "Eryk is going to be soooo happy."

I was able to make excuses for Cosmic Boy before this episode. I really don't like him being that big of a jerk. It is one thing to reject a candidate for not having powers. It is another to rub it in their face.

When they announced Nemesis Kid's power as negating super-powers, I thought "Good thing they'll have non-powered Karate Kid on hand." I was expecting him to turn traitor this episode and it was a pleasant surprize when he didn't. We all know that he will eventually. I hope they use NK in several episodes as a good guy before he reveals his true colors.

I wish Cham had escaped from Grimbor's chains by turning into something small. Maybe even a throw away line referencing Shrinking Violet. The double jointed bit seem stupid.

And they have a big recruitment drive and only get one new member? (KK wasn't part of the recruitment drive) You think they would have picked 3-4 new members seeing as they were stretched thin.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
I recorded it... just watched... must respond before reading other comments...

Hipster Calamity King-- complete with nelly green cap-- TOTALLY RULED! The LSH31C comic listed him as a member, so I'll wager he pops up again. An unexpected highlight of this episode!

Nemesis Kid-- totally cute! Anyone else think after he said, "Nice toy" to Grimbor that he was going to be revealed as a traitor, in cahoots with big G? Didn't happen though... YET.

Cosmic Boy-- continues his trend of being an insufferable ass. The writers are definitely drawing upon his Grell and WaK-era appearances.

Karate Kid-- He's way kewl. I'm digging him.

The lack of lasses-- So, the bratlings have finally done away with speaking roles for the girls alltogether. Nice way to get them reduced to cameos only, brats. Stupid pre-tweens. Makes me giddy to think that in, like, 8 years they'll be BEGGING girls to go out with them... the ones that aren't homos, anyway. BAH!!!

I'm making it my personal cause to get the femme roles in the Tooniverse upped big-time. First order of business: We need a heavy-hitting femme on the team, STAT. I'm calling for Andromeda ("Valor-Girl" costume only!) or Dawnstar. Still, these 2 attractive powerful ladies might threaten the bratlings. How about Monstress? She might be perfect. I dunno yet. But this MUST change! Perhaps a "girls night out" episode is in order?

Now must read other comments!!!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doctor One
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doctor One   Email Doctor One         Edit/Delete Post     
I HATE that Cos keeps being portrayed as a jerk. Nice episode otherwise. And yes, I miss the girls, too.
From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sketch Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sketch Lad           Edit/Delete Post     
Oops! I read all the comments before I made mine! Oh well. A lot of my thoughts have been mentioned already by others.

I don't mind when they repeat little personality traits like Vi's snort or KK's "obstacles bring solutions" thing. I didn't mind "think fast" in the books, either. I was impressed by how each of the characters have such distinct personalities. At firt I thought "Cosmic Jerk" but I have to admit that I like it. I like that he's maintaining standards and keeping ideals. Yeah, kinda curt about it, but effective. I mean, the early Legion was fond of the word "REJECTED!"

I'm bothered by the lack of girls, too. Dream Girl has never been more than background decoration and I'm way past ready for her spotlight story. I hate that Imra's in a coma all this time! :teardrop:

Still, the 10 year old fanboy inside of me was thrilled by this episode. Great action, great characterization. The 41 year old me approves!

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

quote:
Originally posted by Malvolio:

I really hope they're not basing the casting on a single focus group that thought girls are "icky."

I'm afraid this IS what is happening, which totally enrages me! How can we let them know that adults are watching, too?

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

quote:
Originally posted by Yellow Kid:

Lash! We get a glimpse of Comet Queen in the early moments of the show!
How's that?

Calamity King sounds like Elvis.

Nemesis Kid's a jerk (big surprise, eh?) but he's cool to KK at the end.

I missed Comet Queen but have it on tape and will certainly rewind to look for her and others. This is where WaK missed the boat in re-introing long-unseen faves to get fans buzzing.

Calamity King ruled!!

And I appreciated Nem Kid's gesture at the end... it could make his eventual betrayal all the worse.

Or... will they take the enexpected route and keep him as a good guy? I almost can't imagine this, considering the setup. It's like it's perfect for the season finale, when Nem Kid neutralizes Supes at a pivitol moment and K-Kid takes him down.

--------------------

Colossal Boy
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Colossal Boy   Email Colossal Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
I was really disappointed with this version of Karate Kid, as I was expecting an interpretation more like the classic KK (all over the place now
in LS and Countdown) or the WaK KK. Instead we get
a KK who looks about as on par with Ralph Macchioo from the '80's movie instead of KK who can go par-to-par with Batman. Maybe they downplayed KK's abilities to keep him more distinct from Timber Wolf.

I also found his "solution" catch-phrase rather annoying in how often it was repeated. The whole KK part of the episode reminded too much first-season Super Friends ep (Wendy/Marvin) where each episode had to have an uplifting heavy-handed message.

Cosmic Boy is becoming all but unsufferable, although I wonder if the producers here are doing this intentionally and building a story arc around it? Like someone else said here, I've pretty well lost respect for Cosmic Boy as leader - mainly because of his rub-your-face-in-it attitude. So has it been officially stated yet this season that Cos is current leader?

Is it just speculation, or do we have some evidence that the focus groups are the cause of the lack of girls this season? Cuz I sure want to see Shadow Lass show up!

Good things about the episode -
the tryout scene

more Dream Girl and Vi cameos

Element Lad - when did he bulk up so?

Tyroc - ironic that he's been mute in all his appearances so far

the Wildfire insignia - hopefully that was intentionally put there and not just because it was a cool looking insignia. Isn't Dawnstar scheduled to appear later this season? Maybe we'll get a Wildfire and Legion Academy story out of it.

Nemesis Kid - they just have to building an arc here where he betrays the team to Imperiex.

Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Colossal Boy
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Colossal Boy   Email Colossal Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Oh forgot this before hitting send -

On the team being stretched thin, since they
went back for Superman why not go back for
someone else?

Do the producers have the rights to use Supergirl?
I think that would be so cool to see the super cousins in action in one episode, and Kara might
be the character high profile enough to break the
no girls theme this season.

Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wamu2
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wamu2           Edit/Delete Post     
once again another good episode.

and Cos. wow. if he were in a 3 Stooges skit, he would be due for a pie in the face.

liked Karate Kid and Nemesis Kid. when I saw power neutralizer gun, I instantly thought he was working with the bad guys.

enjoyed the tryouts. to bad they couldn't show more people.

From: chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Awesomegirl
Queen of Awesome

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Awesomegirl   Email Awesomegirl         Edit/Delete Post     
Well, this episode was no "Chained Lightning," but a really good episode nonetheless.

I was hoping they wouldn't go with an Asian accent for Karate Kid, but it didn't annoy me too much. I really liked it when he kicked Grimbor's ass(who was a really cool villain, by the way)and he and Chameleon Boy make a great team.

Speaking of Cham, I'm liking him more and more by the episode. He actually does make me laugh and is smart, too. If only somebody on the show would call him CB3.

As for CB1, he should just go away. Now. And the first battle scene did seem a little sloppy, it's like they weren't even trying. It also sucks that we didn't get to see more Legion rejects.

Oh, and one more thing. When KK was swinging that cleaning-the-floors thing(or whatever it was called) around, was anyone else thinking "Wax on, wax off?"

--------------------
"Do, or do not. There is no try." -Yoda

From: Naboo | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.