Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Legion on Smallville (Page 13)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 19 pages: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19   
Author Topic: Legion on Smallville
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by doublechinner:
My problem with the show is that the Welling Clark is whinier now by far than in season 1. And he's what, in his 40s now?

A perennial problem with Smallville is that it seems like once an episode, like clockwork, Clark says 'That isn't going to happen.' or 'I'll stop it.' and then, he never does.

Sample dialogue from the end of last season;
Chloe - "Clark, they have a machine that will control you! If Lex gets his hand on it..."

Clark - "I won't allow that to happen! And by 'won't allow that' I mean, 'won't do a damn thing to stop it' other than show you my determined face and then go back to moping over Lana and ignoring huge impending crisis until someone gets hurt and it's all my fault again."

It's a soap opera. Clark is allowed to talk a good fight, but he's never allowed to actually be proactive and do anything decisive. Posture, pose, determined face. Get ass kicked. Get ass saved by Jor-El, Martian Manhunter, the discovery of a new super-power or some other random Deus Ex Machina.

Note what happens in this episode.

Clark - "We'll save her, by working together! And when I say 'we' I mean you. Lightning Lad, do something with lightning! Cosmic Boy, magno-whatzit the nanites! Saturn Girl, mind-mojo the framistat! I'll stand her with my Kryptonian thumb up my Kryptonian butt and pout really, really hard. Then I'll sign a baseball with heat vision! That'll fix everything!"

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kidflash2fan
could be rabid

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kidflash2fan   Author's Homepage   Email kidflash2fan         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by veryvery:

special request, can someone tell me who the other 4 "brainiacs" are? my cohort is refusing to listen to the "the ball will become querl" idea, she thinks they were saying "querl will be happier when he has a brainiac ball"

have to agree, i want to think that Brainy would be happier with the ball

if we go by real continuity, brainiac 5 should be in the legion....every version brainy had made the rings...they all had flight rings...so brainy should be a member. of the legion.

sides we all know that that ball is going to end up as Pulsar Stargrave

--------------------
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

i do commissions

From: ny | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
Hmmm... I thought there was one take where Invisible Kid I was the inventor of the flight ring. [scratches head]

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yk
between boots

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yk   Email Yk         Edit/Delete Post     
Yeah but it was made from one of Brainy's cast off experiments. In that boot Lyle and Querl were always debating theoretical vs. practical and that one was a "Win" for IK.
From: Smallville Sector : Greater Metropolis | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
Ah. Thanks.

[drift] I can accept that, but Mullet-Brainy was/is a little tough on me. [Razz]

I'm probably also the only person on the planet willing to admit that I still like Lyle's first look the most. I know it's cheesy, but I just can't help myself. [/drift]

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kidflash2fan
could be rabid

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kidflash2fan   Author's Homepage   Email kidflash2fan         Edit/Delete Post     
i like lyle's second costume best but...*hugs her legion toys on desk.*i have the original is mt second..

--------------------
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

i do commissions

From: ny | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimgallagher jimgallagher has just turned 61
www.dodeka12.com

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimgallagher           Edit/Delete Post     
Do they call the Legionnaires by their codenames or their real names in Smallville?

--------------------
Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com

From: Champaign, IL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rockhopper Lad
Kills Threads Dead

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rockhopper Lad   Author's Homepage   Email Rockhopper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Rokk addressed Garth as Lightning Lad once and Garth addressed Rokk as Cos once. Imra was called "Im" once, which is new to me.

--------------------
The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."

From: The Pyngwyn Colonies of Planet Hyustyn | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doublechinner
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doublechinner   Email doublechinner         Edit/Delete Post     
jimg,

They did a good job of mixing them in. As they first appear, they use their real names, but out in "public" later (there's nobody there), Rokk calls Garth "Lightning Lad" in a disapproving way, sort of like when your mom uses your full name when she discovers you've done something you ought not to have. It was cute. It was fun to hear "Imra" and even "Im" used in a totally un-selfconscious way.

--------------------
...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"

From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arm Fall Off Boy
Now starring in his own DC Comic, September 2011!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arm Fall Off Boy   Email Arm Fall Off Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
My 2 cents.

Overall I liked the episode very much. It was a long time coming, and I had to wait till after work to watch a recorded version, but I liked it.

First of all, I have the same objection many of you have. The Legion would not kill. Perhaps in the future of this incarnation, Superman ends up killing Doomsday to save someone he loves, and they based it all on this. I don't know what Johns' thinking was, but to the majority of fans, it was just wrong. I also thought Clark was just a little too quick in accepting the Legionnaires, but I chalked it up to the fact that he wants super-powered pals, and just wants to belong.

It didn't take long to figure out this was the Action Comics Legion, based on the comments of xenophobia. I did like the way I wondered "are they going to mention Earth Man?" They didn't of course, but it made me want to see more.

It was obvious that Rokk was the leader, and that he was clearly older than the other two. I'd put him at about 18-19, calm and in charge. Imra was about 17 was a calming influence, and incidentally, smoking hot. Garth was about 15-16 and impetuous. They were clearly friends and had been together lon enough to refer to each other as "Im" and "Cos."

I wanted to see more of the Persuader too. Granted he's never been one for great dialogue, but he was dispatched just a little too quickly. Also, if he used the flight ring to travel through time, and Rokk took it away from him, how did he get sent back? Was there a ripcord of some sort?

I, too, liked the 30th-31st century lingo, and the references we would get. Tharr, grife, sprock, Levitz Museum (Why not Superman Museum?).

I liked the way Rokk called Garth "Lightning Lad" once, when he was trying to talk to him as a leader to a subordinate. Garth also called him "Cos" once, but alas, no "Saturn Girl" references.

Rather than think -
quote:
Originally posted by Set
"We'll save her, by working together! And when I say 'we' I mean you. Lightning Lad, do something with lightning! Cosmic Boy, magno-whatzit the nanites! Saturn Girl, mind-mojo the framistat! I'll stand her with my Kryptonian thumb up my Kryptonian butt and pout really, really hard. Then I'll sign a baseball with heat vision! That'll fix everything!"

I saw it more as Clark being a leader, and reminiscent of Adv. 247, he figured out a way to use each of their powers in a new way. Just my take.

Overall, I was just very happy to actually see a live action Legion. It has been TOOOOO long coming. I can see more potential for their return than the contrived Justice League.

I'm not making excuses and saying "It's all good," I'm saying, for the first live action Legion, Not Bad.

quote:
Originally posted by cleome:

I'm probably also the only person on the planet willing to admit that I still like Lyle's first look the most. I know it's cheesy, but I just can't help myself. [/drift]

No you're not, if you are referring to THE original. My first exposure to IK was the "cloning" story in S/LSH with IK and Ferro Lad. I thought he was a cool character and was one of the reasons I started getting back issues.

[ January 16, 2009, 04:36 PM: Message edited by: Arm Fall Off Boy ]

--------------------
Long Live all them Legions!

From: North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
Has anyone mentioned that Garth said he "joined" the Legion and not "founded" the Legion?

The Legion willing to kill was unacceptable to me. You guys are way too forgiving. Even Quis came up with a more creative angsty way of providing tension. (I know it was so Clark would be the one to provide Legion Code No. 1 and all that, but they could have been more creative without violating the characters.)

I'd have preferred this to be a stand alone episode and just been a fun initiation adventure.

Great to see a live-action Legion! Too bad there has to be so many exceptions.

This also would have been far greater if this was season one. They could have made a Legion visit an annual event. Upping the ante each time. And if Star Trek, Farscape, etc. can afford to future it up on TV, then so could the WB/CW.

[ January 16, 2009, 05:34 PM: Message edited by: Nightcrawler ]

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
I didn't really care for the Persuader being a 'supremest' but it isn't the first time that the idea of xenophobic groups have been shown in the 31st century.
Triad was almost killed by members of the White Triangle, Trom was destroyed by a Daxamite faction and Andromeda, being an underground member of WT finally switched sides, helped defeat them and then joined a holy order in penence.

I was protesting the willingness to kill Chloe, too, but NOT killing becoming part of the Legion code because of what Clark taught them silenced me.
The idea of not killing any old time you want has been under attack in comics for at least the last 20 years.
The recent crossover, DREAMWARS, hi-lights that conflict.
And in our world, killing is the simple answer to a lot of people's problems.
I'm glad the story involving the Legion made a stand against the constant 'bloodworks' around us.

Tom Welling is 29.
The character he plays is now in his early twenties, I believe.
Lana and Chloe graduated from college, didn't they?
I remember Brianiac being introduced during those years.

Anyway, I like Welling and I've enjoyed this last couple of seasons of Smallville, especially.

The Legion was so much fun to watch.
I got the feeling from the characters that the Legion in this universe isn't in it's mostly teenage era,but not yet in Johns era,either.

Rokk and Imra seemed in their very late teens or early twenties.
Garth was younger, of course, but that was fine with me.
He reminded me a little of Gates when he was in our time period, owwwing and ahhhing over stuff, wanting to collect it.

I thought there were to many close-ups, as well, lol!
And to much make-up!
It takes a lot to make Lana's features look generic but they managed it!

I love Chloe.
She was fantastic and I'm so glad she has her 'Kal' memories back!

Someone thought that she should go to the future.
But if she did that what would happen to Jimmy?
I kind of like that she's married to him.

I SO want to see the Legion in Smallville again.
Shadow Lass would be wonderful!

In Sanctuary, all of the sets are computer generated. They say it's cheaper than regular filming.

Last comment.
Did anyone else love the part where Garth asked Clark why they were having the conversion on the ground rather than in the air?
Clark said he couldn't fly.
Garth's and Rokk's reactions were so funny and so spot on!
Loved it.
Sounds like something that would work very well for a Legion series.

I

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
just watched it!!! so awesome.

yeah garth said joined not formed or founded.

i couldn't get over how blood thirsty the founders were either. maybe they are one of the dark future legions. and then..it didn't seem that hard for them to "exorcise" brainiac haha. rokk didn't even sweat.

i did love the fight scenes and imra especially. she was cool and not catty. and i never realized how catty it could be to be a telepath before watching this episode. she was all business but still warm. i loved how garth and imra spoke a bit slowly, made them seem more formal and different. i couldn't get over cosmic boy's hair...too long for him.

oh and imra can trash talk...."your sadism is legendary...and so is your defeat" yeahhh beyotch.

it's kinda funny how the founders were for continuity!!! haha "we've never heard of chloe"

i'm also sick of the xenophobia plot...and to make it a part of television history is gross.
can we get a generalized legion or amalgam not include a sentence that is sooo determinative of which type of legion this is!

i was on the edge of my seat waiting for them to say "fatal five" during the persuader scene. and i thought that clark would dodge the axe but...he dosn't know it can hurt him...and then i'm thinking it's gonna cut him in half!! very tense.

i liked their slant on garth, socially awkward and impetuous rather than hot headed. but i guess they made him out to be a newbie in this episode.

great action episode...

oh and btw, i've never ever watched smallville before. i think i might start watching it, so many shirtless boys too.

[ January 16, 2009, 08:40 PM: Message edited by: Disaster Boy ]

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
one more thing, isn't it kinda depressing to have the legion meet kal el because of an assassination attempt and they try to sacrifice his best friend.

must be a dark and random future.

i think the legion will be back on smallville(somebody has to teach him to fly)...and hopefully a bit more well...hopeful.

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
veryvery
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for veryvery   Author's Homepage   Email veryvery         Edit/Delete Post     
i'm really not weirded out that the legion would be kill-friendly at first! i mean... they're practically COPS. and if a cop had to kill someone, you wouldn't think it was weird! sad but not weird, you know? i guess i'm cold hearted but... chloe sullivan's life vs everyone on the planet dying?!! come on, guys! even chloe, i'm sure, would have sacrificed herself!

personally, i see the "we don't kill" thing in general as a writing necessity, one of the mainstays in comics is that you need some reason why superman doesn't just snap lex luthor's neck or why no one in gotham will ever get the death penalty when obviously in for reals land, they would. it's because they want the bad guys to come back and fight again, guys.

...and it was very clear that when it came down to it, none of them were enjoying the task! i thought the part where they actually had to DO the deed was very powerful and well done! notice that they were going to use a frigging KNIFE to make it more visceral. (though secretly i was going 'guys, there are less horrible ways...). did i miss a reason for stab-specific death?

GOD the look on cos' face!! holy CRAP, that guy made me think cos was going to cry a little, did anyone see those slightly watery eyes?!! and poor, adorable, nerd-garth ;____;!! oh my god.

imra apparently raided the bathroom for eyeshadow while the boys put the barn back together.

man... i would NOT mind a million more episodes with these guys. that is the most wide open door to more episodes i've EVER seen!!

"HERE'S THIS RING. COME VISIT ANYTIME."

"ANYTIME YOU WANT, AT ANY MOMENT."

"YOU COULD MEET ALL THE OTHER LEGIONNAIRES."

"LIKE, IDK, BRAINIAC 5?!!"

-----

man. i screamed happily the whole frigging episode. tiny throw away lines that made me FREAK OUT but that wouldn't seem out of place ("it's for my sister").

--------------------
http://www.adrianaferguson.com
http://joteivv.deviantart.com
http://superfuturefriends.blogspot.com

From: Seattle | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 19 pages: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.