Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Legion on Smallville (Page 14)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 19 pages: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19   
Author Topic: Legion on Smallville
veryvery
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for veryvery   Author's Homepage   Email veryvery         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Disaster Boy:
one more thing, isn't it kinda depressing to have the legion meet kal el because of an assassination attempt and they try to sacrifice his best friend.

must be a dark and random future.

i think the legion will be back on smallville(somebody has to teach him to fly)...and hopefully a bit more well...hopeful.

what, you were hoping they would just haze him the whole epsiode? [Big Grin] haha i hope that happens next time...

--------------------
http://www.adrianaferguson.com
http://joteivv.deviantart.com
http://superfuturefriends.blogspot.com

From: Seattle | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sketch Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sketch Lad           Edit/Delete Post     
vv, you crack me up!

I liked seeing a live action Legion very much, and I thought the story was very good.

I figured the Legion was willing to kill because history told them that that's what was needed. I liked that they couldn't actually do it and I liked that Supes was the boy scout.

I've never watched Smallville before and I probably won't again. Not because it was bad, but because I watch enough other shows.

I liked Cos' portrayal very much. No complaints.

Imra seemed to speak like she had too many teeth in her mouth or something. It was wierd. Still, she was very cute.

I'm not sure I like a goofy, silly Garth. It takes some getting used to. I almost wish it was Cham or someone else in that role. Or that it was the slick, cool Garth.

Overall, I was pleased. I recorded it. I'll watch it again sometime.

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
AFOB:

quote:
...No you're not, if you are referring to THE original. My first exposure to IK was the "cloning" story in S/LSH with IK and Ferro Lad. I thought he was a cool character and was one of the reasons I started getting back issues.

Yeah, the one that somebody at Major Spoilers called "Eddie Bauer Meets Elvis" or words to that effect.

Sketch Lad:
quote:
...I'm not sure I like a goofy, silly Garth. It takes some getting used to. I almost wish it was Cham or someone else in that role. Or that it was the slick, cool Garth.

Cham's probably switched agencies since the cartoons. I mean, first getting voiced by some Fox soap guy on his smoke break, then getting turned into Beast Boy without the fangs. You can hardly blame him. [grin]

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I enjoyed the episode quite a bit and have no significant complaint about it--beyond the simple fact that I want MORE!!!!!

The more I think about the 'kill solution' the Legionnaires thought was best, the more I'm okay with the reasoning behind it. I mean, history told them that Brainiac absolutely HAD to be "destroyed" on that day or there would be no future left for them to return to.

So they meet Clark and he's nothing like what they expected: he can't fly, there's no costume...in short, he's not fully-formed on a day that they feel is crucial in their history. So with everything riding on what will happen that day, the Legion feel that if they don't destroy Brainiac by killing Chloe, everything they know will end. Even so, they are shown reluctant to carry through and are clearly not used to using lethal force. Those moments sold it for me.

It's kinda like whether or not, if given the opportunity, you would kill Hitler's mom while he's in utero, except on a much larger scale. Even Chloe at the end tells Clark that she would expect him to kill her if the stakes were this high again and no other option presented itself.

So I felt the scenario was very nicely done, and I especially like how Clark was able to inspire them so profoundly in a way that even his legend wasn't able to. Clark didn't measure up to their impossibly high expectations. But at the same time, he actually ended up exceeding them!

I was quite moved by that take. Even though it's not "classic Silver Age" Legion meets Superboy, it was a nice modern take and ultimately, I felt, true to both the Superman and Legion mythos.

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Some more notes.....

Of the three, I felt Rokk rang the most true of the three. Yes, the hair was not the clean-cut look we're used to for Cos, but the attitude, the leadership and the maturity were all absolutely spot-on. This was most definitely Rokk Krinn, my friends, and the actor who played him did a great job.

I also enjoyed Imra and Garth quite a bit. Neither really came off as authentically for me as Rokk, but I enjoyed them nonetheless. Imra didn't really contradict the comics version exactly, but there was something off I couldn't put my finger on. Garth's personality was a little more of a classic Polar Boy/threeboot Tinya as far as the starstruck aspect goes. I still enjoyed the take regardless and can see this Garth eventually becoming more like the one(s) we all know and love.

I haven't watched Smallville regularly in a long time. I was onboard the first three seasons (in fact the second half of season one thru the first half of season three I felt were absolutely outstanding) but felt it was going off the rails so badly at the end of season three that I've only rarely caught a stray episode ever since. I may just make a point to catch a few more episodes now.

I feel that if the show is brought back for another season, we will almost certainly get another Legion appearance. So...here's to one more season!!!

--------------------

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
I really liked it.

I didn't take the Legion "almost" killing to serious. I don't think they could've done it regardless. It reminded me of an old Adv. comic plot.

I would've like Cos less grungy but it fits the show. Infact everything kind of fit.

I've seen Smallville try to incorporate some comic book characters and I have to say this was one of the better ones.

Would love to see Clark visit the 31st century.

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Acid Digestion Lad
Legion hopeful

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Acid Digestion Lad   Email Acid Digestion Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
You know...I've not really liked smallville since the first couple of "comic integration" episodes with other heroes. I loved this episode for what it was and regardless of my little gripes here and there as well as what everyone said already I think it was probably one of smallville's better episodes.
From: Bismoll, baby! Yeah!! | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
future king
Excuse me but can you please direct me to the La Brea Tar Pits in Los Angeles?

Icon 1 posted      Profile for future king   Email future king         Edit/Delete Post     
The episode stands up to repeated viewings. I've now watched it 3 times and it's fun each time. You sort of catch those little thing you missed the first time around. The look on Imra's face as she nods to Cosmic Boy to "do the deed" since obviously Garth can't do it (stabbing Chloe). I missed the "Levitz museum" nod the first time around. This was a nice tribute to Levitz and it shows us that Johns admires him a lot.
Getting back to that huge negative about the show... I really didn't like the fact that Cos was about to finish the job, the knife was heading straight down into Chloe's chest, and if Clark hadn't stopped him just when he did it would have been all over. I think we needed to see a bit more hesitation and debate about "the right thing to do" or "what needs to be done" before Garth voluntarily agrees to do it.
Like I said earlier, it's only a one hour show and you need that drama and a climax to push the plot forward, but still it vilified our heroes to the viewing audience a bit. Hopefully this didn't spoil their presence on the show to the fans of Smallville too much. It has such a vast veiwership and is one of the most watched television shows out today.
If this episode hits the high ratings that I suspect it will, not only will we see the Legion again (if there's a season 9) but the interest with the sci-fi fans around the globe is sure to do wonders in helping future comic sales for any book with the words 'Legion Of Super-Heroes' attached to it.

This helps us fanatics quite a bit though, right?

As for the actors involved I think they played their parts perfectly (and did a little homework on the Legion I suspect).
I had some reservations at first seeing the promo clips and pics last year, just like everybody else on here, but really the kids did an awesome job showing us a glimps of who the Legion is and what they're all about. They all looked and acted well too (well, maybe just a bit too much eye shadow on Imra in the last 15 minutes of the show) ;-)

Too bad this wasn't a 2-hour or two-part special or something! Oh well ... maybe next time.

From: ontario | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

One thing I haven't seen mentioned here yet that I thought I would see is the omission of the "of Superheroes" from the Legion in the episode. Obviously, it makes sense in the Smallville-verse, but seeing as how there's typically so much nit-picking among our fandom, it's a little surprising it hasn't been brought up.

Personally, I've no problem with the omission. But I'm very surprised that hasn't been among the gripes brought up in this thread.

--------------------

Awkward Pause Boy
Candidate

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Awkward Pause Boy   Email Awkward Pause Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
I enjoyed it as well.

The intent to kill was pretty bothersome to me, as it was to many, apparently. I figured that I would have been okay with it if they had played-up the billions-will-die-very-soon or the Chloe-is-already-dead rationals a bit more than they did. Otherwise, it was still a quick and depict-able way of showing how important Superman is to what the legion becomes. (Saying the inspiration is tolerance of other races is one thing, but it wouldn't have been easy to depict--especially given how human legionnaires look and the likely budget constraints.)

I'd love to see more of the legion on TV, but I suspect it would be a whole lot of teens staring at each other--like this episode--just because of how costly a lot of action would be. I think I'd prefer a mini-series, though. Full-blown series seem to need to inflate number of useless scenes more than I can tolerate.

My favorite part was seeing the flight rings. I don't know why that struck such a chord, but it did.

From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evolution Has Failed
Two more armpits than Atmos!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Evolution Has Failed   Email Evolution Has Failed         Edit/Delete Post     
A lot said so far, but if ever there was a topic just asking for everyone to say what they think, this is it...

Quick summary of my own feelings: had I gotten a chance to post right afterward, I'd have started out mentioning that I had just...well, to clean it up... "arrived in my trousers."

Let me first follow that with this: I am one of the BIGGEST fans of the code against killing. 10 or so years back, when I was still posting on the 'rec.arts' NG, I was the one who started the "Inferno Defamation League" because I was SO afraid they would let her join after she had been shown to kill in cold blood.

HOWEVER, saying that the code is intrinsic to the legion *and* that it should have been there ALREADY is to treat the LSH as a static entity. The code had to start SOMETIME, and I think it is a little ABSURD to think that three adolescents who just started a superhero team would think of that first thing...I think it is much more realistic that something or someone would need to convince them of it.

ALSO, with only 1 hour, they had little time to establish many aspects of the LSH, so the fact that, IN THE END, they adopted that code means that the code against killing is one of the FEW aspects of the LSH that WAS established by this episode!!! I mean, I'm happier that they established it as STARTING now then just not even mentioning it at all.

ALSO, consider that BRAINIAC was literally like a disease/virus...it "leaked" its way into everything (even Chloe), so their thinking was much along the lines of the practice of containing a horrible disease...only this was a SENTIENT such disease bent on world destruction, which might even become GALACTIC destruction...

My only gripe in that area was I'd have liked to see a BIT more reluctance from Cos before he started the knife plunge...but then, there's only so much time in the episode.

Note also, based on the comment at the end about B5, we can presume this was early in the LSH's career.

(Note: while I do agree with what others said that it would be better to think that B5 already existed...esp. given that they have their flight rings... the exact wording is rather inescapable: "Let's hope Brainiac *5* is a little more friendly."... if they had meant to say Brainiac 5 would enjoy it as a project, they could have just said "I'm sure Brainiac 5 will be able to program it into something useful", or they'd have at least added the word "now" to the end of the first sentence. I suppose we COULD interpret it as Brainiac 4 exists, made the flight rings, but is grumpy(!))

Finally, let me just say how pleased I was that they basically went what I would call "balls out" and REALLY gave us the Legion. Other aspects of comicdom that have been incorporated into the show have usually been distant facsimiles (Brainiac being one, "cyborg" being another... Black Canary... the Flash .. Perry White ... etc.)

When I first heard they'd have an episode with the Legion, I thought we'd see three mysterious teens who help him, and only suggest at the end that they are from the future.

Instead, they DECLARE themselves as being "the Legion" ..they mention explicitly when they are from and what they do...used some CODE NAMES, and real names also ... and even had uniforms, appropriately de-cheesified...and Legion FLIGHT RINGS, complete with the L symbol (borrowed from a comic shop?) As someone who watches the show all the time, this went way beyond my expectations as to how fully they'd depict the LSH.

I *loved* giddy Garth (I guess you can say "ass" on TV now, a la "Get that magnet out of your ass"), embarrassed Rokk ("Garth, you're acting like a sub"), cerebral, semi-spacey Imra (I think it makes sense for her to be that way ... always distracted by hearing everyone's thoughts...).

Then, they top it off by establishing the existence of OTHERS in the Legion (and a mention of B5, regardless of chronology), and leaving Clark a way to go to he future...man!!! I thought there was no WAY that would happen.

If they keep up to a season 9 and run out of plot ideas...there it is. Notably, the show DOES have a tendency to re-visit plotlines form earlier episodes, so I'd not be surprised to see an ep. where he DOES go to the future....probably in dire need, I'd suspect. Whereupon, they'd probably re-hash the old "sorry, can't change the past" plot.... but still, we might get to see other legionnaires.

--------------------
"I like stuff that doesn't exist."

From: Old Lyme, CT | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lm8
In Stasis

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lm8   Author's Homepage   Email lm8         Edit/Delete Post     
Don't know if anyone's mentioned it, but the actress who played Imra used to play Annie on So Weird. Going from someone interested in the paranormal to someone who was telepathic didn't seem like much of a stretch. It was pretty nice for So Weird fans. Almost couldn't recognize her though, so it's been a while that So Weird was off the air.

Would have liked the three Legion members to be more of an equal age. Cos seemed much older than everyone else.

The part about them wanting to kill bothered me a bit too, but only until they decided afterwards that would end up being their first Legion rule (not to kill).

Couldn't help wondering what Imra was hinting with in regards to Lana and why she left. My first thought was she'd gone 7 months and it was after last season, maybe a few months after she gained Clark's powers and the two were shaking up all of Smallville. Maybe she was pregnant. Then I remembered that would have been Lois's job as per the latest movie. Thought it over again and decided if the Legion was saying it, maybe they were just referring to Lana getting powers in some way and being a hero in her own right. I think she was supposed to be an honorary Legionaire in the earlier comic book version.

Interesting to see the use of Legion curse words, since they never made the animated series. Obviously it's an older audience.

Liked the reference to no one hearing of Chloe as most fans of other versions of Superman would not have. Would have liked an explanation why though.

Liked the combined powers of Cos and Lightning Lad. Would have liked to see Cos less serious and Lightning Lad slightly more serious (maybe more grown up). Nice that Garth was excited as a fan would be and it was cute of him to mention his sister. Obviously she isn't missing like she was in the animated series.

Someone mentioned Persuader disappearing when the ring was removed. Common sci fi plot is that when you remove the device keeping you in that time, you end up back where you were in your own time. That only left me wondering why the Legion went home after saying Long Live the Legion instead of by temporarily taking off the rings. I guess the rings really are thought controlled and they just had to think about home.

Liked all the touches where they kept up with Legion continuity and the long live the Legion shout at the end. Also liked seeing the Brainiac symbol.

Didn't like the portrayal of the bad guys much in this episode. For me, that was the part I didn't like the most. Anyone else notice Chloe's eyes seemed to get darker and darker circles the longer Brainiac took her over. Looked more like she had been crying and messing up her wedding makeup. Half expected Brainiac to download data to people's brains for storage rather than upload to himself. Is Earth really that rich in data? Going after each person's brain instead of just tapping the Internet or the Library of Congress seemed like a waste of time, especially since Brainiac hasn't bothered to do any of that data accessing accept when really necessary all the time he's been on Earth.

The reference to creating Brainiac 5 from Brainiac threw me as well. So who were 2 through 4 and how did the Legion know about that, but not about Clark's unwillingness to kill? Let's see, 4 would have been Chloe and she's blond. Does that make her Brainiac 5's mom? The 2nd incarnation had to be the female lab assistant in Lex's lab that Brainiac took over. The first was probably professor Fine's form. Lana couldn't be the third, could she? He took her over, but he was off with Kara, so I wouldn't consider that inhabiting her. Who was third? Liked a reference to Brainiac 5, but would have preferred they gave the program to Brainiac 5 to deal with (like Brainiac on the Watchtower in Static Shock episode), not that he'd be useful in creating Brainiac 5. Wanted more info on how this would play out and we just didn't get it.

I doubt we'll see Smallville go to the future because of budget constraints, but it's nice they left the door open. Sounds like Lana convinced Clark they have to work out their own problems and not bug the future for answers though. Would be nice to see Legion members guest in the future the way Justice League members sometimes do though.

I really hope this episode on Smallville means we'll see more interest in the Legion from other fans out there.

Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Man From Cargg
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Man From Cargg   Email The Man From Cargg         Edit/Delete Post     
Rokk so hot... Garth so not.

The biggest thing I took away from the show was the definitive pronounciation of Winath as Why-nath... I've been pronouncing it Win-ath for over 30 years... I don't think I can break the habit now.

I wish Garth had mentioned Ayla by name so that one could be settled once and for all. I say Eh-lah not Eye-lah.

--------------------
The poster formerly known as Carggaphile.

From: Hamilton | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arm Fall Off Boy
Now starring in his own DC Comic, September 2011!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arm Fall Off Boy   Email Arm Fall Off Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by lm8:
Someone mentioned Persuader disappearing when the ring was removed. Common sci fi plot is that when you remove the device keeping you in that time, you end up back where you were in your own time. That only left me wondering why the Legion went home after saying Long Live the Legion instead of by temporarily taking off the rings. I guess the rings really are thought controlled and they just had to think about home

Ok, thanks for that. I guess that must be a newer plot device I haven't seen. Also, when they gave Clark the ring, Imra told him "just think of 3009," meaning concentrate on being there and he would. At least that's my take.

quote:
Originally posted by lm8:
I really hope this episode on Smallville means we'll see more interest in the Legion from other fans out there.

I'll say this, it has certainly got more discussion from a greater variety of posters on this board that most topics. Let's hope it draws interest to the Legion in general as well.
We can only hope .

Long Live the Legion!

--------------------
Long Live all them Legions!

From: North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kidflash2fan
could be rabid

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kidflash2fan   Author's Homepage   Email kidflash2fan         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by LardLad:
One thing I haven't seen mentioned here yet that I thought I would see is the omission of the "of Superheroes" from the Legion in the episode. Obviously, it makes sense in the Smallville-verse, but seeing as how there's typically so much nit-picking among our fandom, it's a little surprising it hasn't been brought up.

Personally, I've no problem with the omission. But I'm very surprised that hasn't been among the gripes brought up in this thread.

i thought that was really odd, and it urked me for a second but its something i let go. nowadays the legion of superheroes, calls themselves just legion anyway it would have been nice for them to say the whole thing but then just call themselves legion for the rest of the episode

i thought it would have been nice if someone would have mentioned that cos is part of the superman cult

--------------------
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

i do commissions

From: ny | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 19 pages: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.