Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Legion on Smallville (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 19 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  17  18  19   
Author Topic: Legion on Smallville
Superboy
RE-RETCONNED

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Superboy   Email Superboy         Edit/Delete Post     
Why are Hollywood and Television so afraid of the Legion anyway?

To me it has smash written all over it...you unite the 3 dominant subgenres of sci-fi, superheroes, time travel and space, into one concept. Hell Superman will sell it. It'll have more appeal than Supes VS Luthor for the 2 millionth time.

The large cast thing has never made sense to me...The Enterprise on Star Trek had 400 something crew members, wasn't a problem.

Star Wars and The Lord of the Rings Trilogies had huge casts...if anything, a large cast is a prerequisite for an all time top grossing film.

The Legion has win written all over it as a movie...

Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Superboy:
The large cast thing has never made sense to me...The Enterprise on Star Trek had 400 something crew members, wasn't a problem.

1014 on the Enterprise-D (Next Gen Enterprise), apparently. However, you have to consider that near-enough 1004 of them were one-shot characters, extras or plain never seen on screen (they started with ten regulars, and finished with eight. Even DS9, which had a LOT of recurring characters, still only had nine regulars at its' peak)

[ July 27, 2008, 05:17 PM: Message edited by: Reboot ]

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portfolio Boy
Deputy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Portfolio Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Portfolio Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
I don't think the episode will mirror Adventure Comics #247 too closely. After all, taking Tom to the 31st century is probably a bit beyond the show's budget.

Instead, I suspect the show will more closely mimic Superboy #98, with a boy trying to discover Superman's secret identity while some of his pal's look on. Let's say this Ultra Boy is kind of a delinquent, so he hasn't studied his history. As his initiation to the Legion, he has to prove that he's smart enough, and resourceful enough, to uncover the secret on his own.

So, I'd say "Legion" will feature Cosmic Boy, Saturn Girl, Lightning Lad, Ultra Boy and Phantom Girl. If we're lucky, we might get a brief scene in which we realize that one of Lightning Lad's arms is cybernetic.

And, if we're REALLY lucky, in addition to the promised flight rings, we'll also see a time bubble. I imagine that we'll hear Brainiac 5 on a speaker in the bubble confirming coordinates, and maybe briefly bemoaning the fact that he can't join in the mission because *gulp* he's a descendant of Superman's greatest villain.

Now, if we are really, really, REALLY lucky, the time bubble arrival scene will feature the Legionnaires in bronze age costumes . . . well, except for Rokk, I doubt his'd "translate."

We may even get a quick glance on a timescope viewer of some other Legionnaires. Maybe Ayla wishing her brother luck, with Lu, Gim, Reep, Lyle, Dirk, Salu and Chuck seen in the background.

How knows, this is supposed to be the last season of Smallville, I believe. However, there's no reason it has to be the last season of Tom Welling playing Clark Kent. If "Legion" is well-received, Smallville might spin off two new series:

In one, Clark Kent would travel to the 31st century to train with the Legion. Essentially, this would be "Superman: The College Years." The CW would probably play it at "90210 in Space," which is not necessarily a bad thing. It'd put a whole new spin on the demographic the network like to hit, which is pretty well played out on the typical teen-angst show.

The second series, if I had my way, would send Chloe off packing to play Girl Friday to the Martian Manhunter in his paranormal detective agency. Sort of "X-Files" meets "Moonlighting"

From: Sumner, ME | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vee
Still smoooooth!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vee   Email Vee         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Geoff...adapt Adventure #369-370 to Smallville... Pleeeeasssseee.

Now, that would be awesome! Great idea Superboy but Lana needs to get her insect ring from a friendly alien first! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"

From: Paragon City on patrol | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Superboy
RE-RETCONNED

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Superboy   Email Superboy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Reboot:
quote:

1014 on the Enterprise-D (Next Gen Enterprise), apparently. However, you have to consider that near-enough 1004 of them were one-shot characters, extras or plain never seen on screen (they started with ten regulars, and finished with eight. Even DS9, which had a LOT of recurring characters, still only had nine regulars at its' peak)
True...and I'd think you could do the exact same thing with the Legion. Pretty similar to what they did with the X-men. Actually it's pretty similar to the early years of the Legion and cartoon now that I think about it. Those other characters only serve to add to the intrigue...and they are there for the odd special effects moment if needed. Further development can come in sequels.

I don't think it's essential that all the Legionaires have to be recognizable to the audience either. I think Superman will serve the recognition factor and the others serve the curiosity factor...and the Legion has some visually striking characters...that IMO surpass those in the X-men.

Besides...thanks to the cartoon, we do now have a younger generation of fans that are pretty familiar with the Legion and most of it's members...

Superboy
RE-RETCONNED

quote:
Originally posted by Vee:
quote:
Geoff...adapt Adventure #369-370 to Smallville... Pleeeeasssseee.

Now, that would be awesome! Great idea Superboy but Lana needs to get her insect ring from a friendly alien first! [Big Grin]
Wouldn't it though?

Have they introduced Mon-El on that show? IF not they need to do that too.

Arm Fall Off Boy
Now starring in his own DC Comic, September 2011!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arm Fall Off Boy   Email Arm Fall Off Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
I have to admit, I'm one of those who got interested in Smallville about year 3, and have since collected the whole series (waits for groan), and it has indeed gone downhill in recent years. But, I have waited and waited and waited for the Legion to come to the screen. The appearance on animated Superman was ok, but not faithful enough. I'd have to say my favorite was probably the JLU episode.
This announcement, however, made both arms and my tongue fall off when my jaw dropped open. For those of you who haven't seen the CBR interview, he really seems to share a respect for the Legion (and in a different interview) Superman and Supergirl. I only wonder if we'll have a second DC implosion if he decides to leave. He writes SO MUCH for DC, and most is REALLY good.
If anyone knows the best board to reach him on, we've gotta make some suggestions (although I think Adv.369-70 is excellent!)and thank him for trying to bring the Legion back to more than so-so.

--------------------
Long Live all them Legions!

From: North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UltraStar
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for UltraStar   Email UltraStar         Edit/Delete Post     
The news of the Legion on Smallvile gave me a very big happy!
I was worried this would be it's last year and it wouldn't happen and that would just be sad.

I hope they don't screw it up like the Doomsday/Mxyzptlk fiascos.

Can't wait!

--------------------
Go conquer the universe for me...for the god whose image you have carved your own homeworld as a monument.Go... for your master...
For Darkseid!

From: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
veryvery
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for veryvery   Author's Homepage   Email veryvery         Edit/Delete Post     
i'm SO glad johns is writing it, he seems to really like the brainiacs so hopefully he'll have b5 in there. smallville is one of the worst shows i've ever seen, hahaha ;___; so i'm a little bit terrified of how horrendous it'll be, but having johns gives me a little hope. he has a crazy encyclopedic knowledge of the legion.

if it was just the regular smallville people writing it, i know exactly what would happen:

clark and lana have a talk in clark's dumb barn where lana gets mad at clark for some reason and storms off. clark takes off his shirt and bales hay or something.

clark goes and visits lex, lex is drinking. they stand VERY close to one another.

there is an explosion of some sort where lana gets knocked out. this explosion also knocks out lois.

clark and lex stand very close to one another again and blame each other for the explosion, while in slow motion, legionnaires walk from the explosion. no one really notices. lightning lad replaced with lovable comedic relief robot.

supergirl fights them for no reason, gets confused and flies away.

clark talks to the legion in his dumb barn, shirtless for no reason. he stands very close to the boys. all girl team members get angry at boy team members for no reason and storm out.

--------------------
http://www.adrianaferguson.com
http://joteivv.deviantart.com
http://superfuturefriends.blogspot.com

From: Seattle | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
I like the barn.
From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Korbal
The Lightning World

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Korbal   Email Korbal         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Matter Lad:
If that's the road they're taking...Kristen Bell for Saturn Girl, please!

Totally agree, have thought that ever since Veronica Mars donned a pink bikini in the final episode of the first season. Unfortunately, unless Ms. Bell is a huge Legion fan, there's no real reason to take such a small role.

As for the episode itself, it might be interesting to have the Legionnaires initially try to avoid Clark (being wary of time alterations) and secretly attempt to free Kara from the Phantom Zone.

--------------------
"I am the LEGION--you colossal Jerk!"--Garth Ranzz LEGION #63

Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Semi Transparent Fellow
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Semi Transparent Fellow   Email Semi Transparent Fellow         Edit/Delete Post     
Wouldn't it be cool if they actually took Clark to the future? That's what I want.
Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Wow! I haven't watched Smallville hardly at all since the show took a huge nosedive in quality during Season Three (yeah, I've heard it got better again), but I'd sure as HELL watch that episode!

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo
Adult Legion Reservist

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo   Author's Homepage   Email Ricardo         Edit/Delete Post     
It's going to be fun, but at the end, I'd rather hear some more news about the comic book. That's where my interests lie at the moment.
As for the series, it got better at Season 4, I guess. There are LOTS of unbelievable scenes and shoddy dialogue, but for a live-action superhero series on TV, it is quite a feat to be doing it after 8 years and not get as bad as Birds of Prey.

From: Brasil | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Smallville just lost me when it became apparent that every boyfriend of Lana's that wasn't Clark would turn out to be evil and/or die. The Adam Knight storyline was what did it. He obviously started out being legitimate boyfriend material for Lana, but at some point the producers changed their minds and massacred the story. From what I've heard this was far from the last instance of this with men in Lana's life.

But I have seen an episode here and there since and especially liked the actress playing Lois. And I'll definitely check out the Legion episode(s)!

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 19 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  17  18  19   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.