Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper (Page 42)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 44 pages: 1  2  3  ...  39  40  41  42  43  44   
Author Topic: Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
Mm. Sorry. They look too much like the LSV from Superman/Batman.

And I've invested too much in the Gary Frank redesign of LL. This just complicates things further.

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Legion Tracker
Veteran

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Legion Tracker           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by kenaustin:
Legion appearance from today's Action Comics...

-

-

I'm guessing that these are the founders well into adulthood, quite a bit later than the current LSH stories. The guys look more maturely sturdy and have receding hairlines.

--------------------
"Been killed--didn't like it." (Duplicate Damsel, Legion of Super-Heroes #10)

From: Groga | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver Age Lad
Part-time member living in another century

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silver Age Lad   Email Silver Age Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Imra and Garth have pretty much swapped hair styles.

I wonder if these are still Lightning LAD, Saturn GIRL and Cosmic BOY?

Having thought about this issue, I am a bit concerned. When I first heard that there were two versions of the Legion in Action Comics, I assumed that the Secret Origin version would match the young jeans/boots Superman while volume 7 would be the 'current' Superman's team-mates. But it seems like the current Superman is teamed up with an older (presumably 5 years older) Legion which means the volume 7 Legion are the peers of the jeans/boots era Superman. what does that mean for the Superboy history with the Legion? Gone, presumably.

[ January 05, 2012, 04:20 AM: Message edited by: Silver Age Lad ]

--------------------
"Our devotion to each other was unexplainable"
"You were kids"
"No Batman, we were Legion"

From: Ancient Kingdom of Northumbria, UK | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken Arromdee
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Arromdee   Email Ken Arromdee         Edit/Delete Post     
SAL: I think that's a big problem. Showing that a future version of the Legion is contemporary with the current Superman makes no sense.

Grant Morrison may have been thinking of the Adventure era, when the future version of the Legion *was* contemporary with the current Superman. But that worked because Superboy was being published and the Legion was contemporary with Superboy. Nowadays, Superboy isn't being published, the Legion has aged considerably, and future Legion/current Superman makes little sense.

So this one comic may have already screwed up the Legion, five issues into the reboot, unless the Legionnaires were just drawn poorly and not any older, or unless some future writer decides to explain this away by saying that the Legion is visiting Superman out of sequence.

Also, the story is annoying because when the Legion appears in a Superman origin, you typically want to see them involved in some way with Superman's past. Having a Superman origin story and then having the Legion show up by time travel instead of being there as part of the past is a cheat.

Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
None of them are wearing flight rings.

I don't like the capes. Though if Imra kept the neck and shoulder wrap, but dropped the cape...

Another Legion? The one starring in current LSH stories, but from further in the future? Perhaps this Clark has been visited by so many multiple versions that he's used to different looks, ages, races, species and members every time they pop up.

Not a new thing- it's been happening since the Legion's second appearance. Continuity screwing's practically their m.o.

As i read that last half of the first story, I was a tad worried that the Anti-Superman Army *was* going to be Morrison's take on the team.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Ken Arromdee:
some future writer decides to explain this away by saying that the Legion is visiting Superman out of sequence.

That's my assumption.

The 'current' Legion can't visit the 'current' Superman because of the Flashpoint firewall / Legion Lost business.

But a Legion from a few years down the road (presumably with access to even better time travel tech), after the Legion Lost crew have either made it back or permanantly set up shop in the 21st century (and are no longer 'presumed dead' or unable to return due to temporal shenanigans), could visit the 21st century Superman without messing with the 'current' Legions currently canonical inability to safely visit this particular moment in time.

'Contemporary' really does mean less than nothing, in a book about time travellers from the future. There's nothing to prevent forty year old Legionnaires (or their children!) from time travelling to save the baby Kal-El's rocket from a disaster that would have thrown it off course and made it never reach Earth. There's nothing to prevent the teenaged founders from teaming up with a long-haired hippie spaceman Superman of 2235.

It only will get totally out of control if the Brainiac 5 of 2010 and the Brainiac 5 of 2037 show up on Kara Zor-El's doorstep at the same time, having accidentally double-booked 'date night.' [Smile]

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hackett           Edit/Delete Post     
Morrison loves time travel and he loves doing different things with the concept, so I imagine we'll get a lot more detail next issue. According to solicits, we may even get Legionnaires from various time periods. If anyone excels at non-linear storytelling it's Grant. Excited for the next issue.
From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by kenaustin:
Legion appearance from today's Action Comics...

-

-

They certainly look older, no longer 'boys' and 'girls' and more like SuperMAN aged.

Saturn Woman doesn't look like herself without her ever present Saturn symbol/eartings, although with Titan now gone in the retro/Nuboots, maybe the laws for Titan telepaths and self identification has been discontinued!

From this page of comments - I agree with Set on the Legionnaire timeline/ages.
I have absolutely no problem with an adult Legion visiting with an adult Superguy.

I seriously dislike the Frank costumes, so the Action version is fine with me, even though I DO like Imra's hair short.

[ January 07, 2012, 03:39 AM: Message edited by: Candlelight ]

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken Arromdee
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Arromdee   Email Ken Arromdee         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Candlelight:

I have absolutely no problem with an adult Legion visiting with an adult Superguy.

I do. First of all, the Legion is already adult and has been since at least the 1980's. They're just not using the adult names. Moreover, the new DCU drastically reduced the size of most characters' history. This is already a problem for the Legion, but if the future Legion is the same age as the current Superman, then the current Legion's history is *shorter* than Superman's, which makes the problem even worse.

Second, if the future Legion is contemporary with the current Superman, that means that every appearance of the current Legion in the current DC present-day is out of sequence.

Also, to explain this appearance away by saying "they're from the future after the Flashpoint barrier is gone" doesn't make any sense. If you could ignore the Flashpoint barrier by being from further in the future, the Legion could break the barrier right now by travelling to the future Legion's era and then travelling to the 21st century just like a person from that future would.

Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
razsolo
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for razsolo   Author's Homepage   Email razsolo         Edit/Delete Post     
Can the Legion travel to their own future? The only time I can remember having seen them time-travel to anything other than the past was when Brainy and his conspirators confronted the Time Trapper at the end of time, and I got the impression that was a big deal which couldn't easily be replicated? (though I may just be mis-remembering)

At any rate, the actual reason they don't just travel to the future to resolve any issues is the same reason Mon-El and Ultra Boy don't take down 99% of the LSV in two panels every time they fight - it removes the need for a story. But if you want an in-universe reason, they don't know when in the future the Flashpoint issue is going to be resolved, so when do they travel to? What happens if they make a blind jump into their 78th battle with Darkseid and half of the past members get accidentally slaughtered? It's too risky.

I am with Set and Candle on the time travel issue....they're already travelling 1000 years, what difference does it make if they're travelling 1005 years? If the current Legion we're reading about in their own title now went back and had an adventure with Clark when he was 16, I wouldn't have an issue with that either. I don't think the Legion's published history needs to be able to synch up perfectly with Superman's published history. The advantage of doing a comic set 1000 years outside of established continuity is that you don't have to operate within the confines of that continuity as much as the rest of the DCU does....it enables you to do things like this really easily.

(having said all of the above, I really dislike their costumes here and agree that they look too much like the LSV...also I question how wise it is to throw in yet another alternate vision of the Legion so soon in the relaunch when we already have the current title, Legion Lost, Secret Origins and to a lesser extent the Star Trek crossover giving four very different ideas of what the Legion look like and who they are....I think I would have chosen to wait a while before introducing yet another take on the team, this kind of stuff must be what casual readers are talking about when they say the Legion is too confusing, lol)

[ January 07, 2012, 04:47 PM: Message edited by: razsolo ]

--------------------
Read the alternate adventures of the Legion after Legion of Three Worlds!
postlo3w

Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
The Shooterboot had Legionnaires from the future coming back to recruit Cos.
But that seemed out of step, somehow.

The Legion has always taken time travel out of sequence, though, with Supergirl and Superboy both being in the Legion at the same time.
At least, when there WAS a Superboy and a Supergirl.

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Mystery Lad:
None of them are wearing flight rings.

That's actually something that bugs me all the time, is how often artists forget to draw the flight rings.

It's a tiny insignificant detail, I know, but it always makes me grumble.

Set

quote:
Originally posted by Ken Arromdee:
Also, to explain this appearance away by saying "they're from the future after the Flashpoint barrier is gone" doesn't make any sense.

As I said, perhaps the future Legion has even better time travel technology than the 'current' Legion. (Indeed, since the current Legion has just busted fragments of a time machine, that got blown into tiny fragments just a few issues ago while Brainy was attempting to hotwire it, that wouldn't be terribly unlikely...)

quote:
If you could ignore the Flashpoint barrier by being from further in the future, the Legion could break the barrier right now by travelling to the future Legion's era and then travelling to the 21st century just like a person from that future would.
My assumption, as stated, was that the future dudes can punch right through the flashpoint barrier using their superior technology, not that it 'went away.'
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
Considering how many team members there are in the Legion, I'm a bit tired of seeing the founders *all* the time...
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
It's not a certainty, but it sure looks like XS appears in TEEN TITANS #6, using the name and ID of a cop.

She's focused on Bart Allen, Kid Flash and uses 'sprocking' and other 31st century lingo (of Earth 247, anway)-- but the real 'tell' is a 'not supposed to have happened yet' sentence. Oh, and some files/thingies with Interlac written on them.

The panels reminded me of the Espionage Squad usage last year in the Superman books. Jenni hasn't appeared (or even been mentioned) in the LSH books in quite some time. Not since that odd back-up with the tiles in a temple. Or shrine. Or whatever it was.

Maybe she's conducting a one-woman mission that the Legion doesn't even know about? Or in collusion with Brainy, perhaps?

We've been told in several instances that time travel isn't 'possible' in the new DCU. I give that about five minutes, but until then- it might be kind of cool if Jenny is the only character that can time travel with impunity.

She seems older... maybe this connects with the older founders (if that's really who they are) in Grant Morrison's Superman title.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 44 pages: 1  2  3  ...  39  40  41  42  43  44   

Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.