Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » New Yahoo Group for Legion Fans

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New Yahoo Group for Legion Fans
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I received an invitation today to join a new Yahoo group for Legion fans to discuss the upcoming new series. They have already used us as a source for quotes from Barry and I have let them know they are all more than welcome to join us here to.

If you'd like to join them (and I know a couple of you already have, right SoM?) you can find the site at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/legion_3004/.

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arachne
Bookworm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arachne   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I don't need any more groups; I can barely keep up with this one.

--------------------
arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six

From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Faraway Lad
Senator of the UP. Permanent Ambassador to the Court of Saint James

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Faraway Lad   Email Faraway Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I dont have the time to join another group either sorry [Frown]

--------------------
Faithfull

From: Newcastle upon Tyne England | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Deathstroke Lad:
If you'd like to join them (and I know a couple of you already have, right SoM?) you can find the site at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/legion_3004

Yeah. I was so shocked at a group celebrating the "reimagining" inviting me that I joined almost without thinking.

I then proceeded to combine my old & new names into a composite name, appropriate for the group [Smile]

[ADDITIONAL: stupid-link-in-quote mangling Reply...]

[ October 02, 2004, 04:59 PM: Message edited by: Reboot ]

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greybird   Author's Homepage   Email Greybird         Edit/Delete Post     
Unfortunately, this Group has triple-thick walls:

~ "Restricted membership." I don't join Groups that do this -- prove who you are, in essence -- unless it's involving people whom I know and where I don't want to do without contact.

~ "All messages require approval." Any place that pre-filters what's posted is not for me. You usually don't know what the standards are, if any, and not even if you ask.

~ "Archives for members only." That makes it hard to gauge anything about the Group's discussion tenor in advance. Being this cautious gains by making discussion less inhibited, but loses by turning off promising inlookers.

Just my semi-ranting, folks. I have to wonder why people with these three walls erected want to bother with any such Group.

You can do the spam-prevention by much less drastic means -- such as approving new members' direct posting privileges after their first (moderated) post, to know that a newcomer isn't a spam-bot. Anything more creates a cloister from the rest of the world, not a discussion forum.

So they may not be as sure of their "celebration" as they let on.

From: Starhaven Consulate, City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
It could also be that the moderator is unaware of the fact you can do just the first post moderated. I was and I've been a mod in different groups for quite awhile.

Spamming from YGroups has become quite an issue, at least to me. I've had to set my groups to all digests just to keep the crap from reaching my inbox on an individual basis.

[ October 03, 2004, 02:26 AM: Message edited by: Deathstroke Lad ]

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greybird   Author's Homepage   Email Greybird         Edit/Delete Post     
The mod might be unaware of the option, but it's not that hard to see it. I'll admit that it's not obvious, and the Groups "management" screens could be better designed. They used to be much worse.

Since my post above, I found that I had an "invitation" from this Group in my Yahoo! Mail inbox. I activated it, since that's the only way to get around "restricted membership," the first wall noted above. I'll take a look at it, but I still think the other two walls are enough to make a Group too insular for its own good.

From: Starhaven Consulate, City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

If you make a post, explaining your position, I'm sure Jason would take changes into consideration. I realize most here don't have time for another group, I really don't myself. But I would like to see this one have a chance. A lot of Legion ones I've belonged to in the past folded up or get no activity. Maybe one starting anew with the new series will bring together some new and old fans.
TenzilKem3004
Ambassador from Legion_3004

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TenzilKem3004   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Maybe I can answer some of you guys' questions. I encourage everyone here to give our group a chance. I feel like we've accomplished alot in a short time. The "restricted" options I have are to keep my members happy. I've not deleted a single post yet, and it would take me alot to do so (basically a member cussing out another member, etc.). You're more than welcome to express any thought you have. And I'm not necessarily "celebrating" the reboot.. yet. It looks hella interesting, but who knows where it's gonna go. I have alot of faith in Mark and Barry, however, and I can't wait to get the first issue. Plus the concept seemed like a great starting point for the new group. We're basically starting at the same time they are. But it need not be all discussion about that. All Legion discussion is wanted and encouraged. Hope this makes things a little clearer.

Jason (wildchild2oo4-Legion_3004 Group Owner)

--------------------
"Tenzil Kem, at your soivice!"

Mr. Waid, BRING BACK TENZIL!

JOIN THE CAUSE: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/legion_3004 (The SOURCE for Waid/Kitson's Legion fandom)

From: Rockledge, FL | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Thanks for responding here, and welcome to the Legion World forums.

I still contend, as a Group owner and mod myself, that dealing with occasional offensive posts after the fact is enough. I don't care to have anyone, no matter how benevolent, passing on the quality of my posts before others have had a chance to react to them.

It's a matter of trusting others, once they show they're not sheer disruptors, to gradually build up the tenor of a discussion forum. To do otherwise, with any such filtering, is to be an editor, however indirectly. That has a place, and I'll gladly work with editors -- but I'd rather not do so where I'm not paid for what I write.

It also becomes unwieldy, in my experience. One moderator normally is enough for about every 75 to 100 Yahoo! Group members. Moderators who are approving all posts end up being needed for every 25 to 50 members, if discussion isn't going to lose momentum from day to day.

TenzilKem3004

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TenzilKem3004   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
You know what, Greybird, you're right. I'm going to open up moderation on my group and see what happens. I suppose (AND THIS IS NO OFFENSE TO ANY PARTICULAR PERSON) I was afraid my group would end up like the DC Legion board where, yes, alot of posts are being made, but people spend too much time arguing and belittling each other.

Thank you all for your advice (especially you Deathstroke Lad/LightningLad--whatever name you're choosing today, buddy!)

--------------------

JOIN THE CAUSE: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/legion_3004 (The SOURCE for Waid/Kitson's Legion fandom)

From: Rockledge, FL | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

I hope I haven't confused you Jason. LL is my normal moniker around here. Deathstroke was just my adopted identity while we were doing a crossover event, just like the comic. But I'm all back to normal. As normal as I get around here anyway. [Big Grin]
TenzilKem3004

Naw, I know who you are all the time, dude. I was trying to be adorable, but today I can't do anything right... *SIGH*

--------------------

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.