Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » I got the Legion outpost book (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: I got the Legion outpost book
PolarBoy
Drunk in 4 different threads

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PolarBoy   Email PolarBoy         Edit/Delete Post     
I went into the city today for an audition to be on a game show (Ok im a big spaz) anyway I saw the legion outpost book which knocked me for 6 I didn't think it was the sort of thing they would order. I have flicked through and it looks interesting a lot of the same picks that were in the companion but some new stuff. But I read the introduction where the interlac group was mentioned and I want to know who these shadow 50 individuals are and what they do exactly!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
:polarboy:

From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Comet King
No 1 Tellus fan

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Comet King           Edit/Delete Post     
What? What 50 people?

Let me know if it's any good. I'm sort of tempted, but on the other hand how interesting a bunch of ramblings from fan fic hacks from the 70s going to be?

What game show are you trying to get on? Good luck!

--------------------
"What a total entropic mess! Let me at it!"

From: London, England | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PolarBoy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PolarBoy   Email PolarBoy         Edit/Delete Post     
Yeah I am having a bit of trouble putting some of it in context because It was long before my time and I have only vague ideas based on back bin finds what was happening at the time. But it is quiet interesting and a lot of the interviews back then were certainly more forth coming then they seem to be now so thats good also a lot of it is fun stuff about things like what star signs certain legionaires would be and stuff like that. I think if you liked the compainion book you will like this.
As for interlac apparently it's a Legion fan club started back in the 70's with 50 members and apparently it's still going today with 50 members so I would guess somebody has to die or something for somebody to get in.
The game show is a crappy one over her called the Einstine factor it's a general knowledge type thing.

--------------------

From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shadow Kid
Talokian Super-Hunk

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shadow Kid   Email Shadow Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
The Einstein Factor?

Would you be Australian?

My grandpa went on that show.

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Comet King:

how interesting a bunch of ramblings from fan fic hacks from the 70s going to be?

Comet, that's a rather flip way to refer to the organized fandom that saved the entire Legion franchise.

These guys worked hard and wrote some fascinating stuff. Many, many of their ideas eventually made it into the book.

I personally loved "THE BEST OF LEGION OUTPOST" but it probably won't be your cup of tea.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Newell
In Bismoll We Trust

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paul Newell   Email Paul Newell         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by PolarBoy:
I went into the city today for an audition to be on a game show (Ok im a big spaz) anyway I saw the legion outpost book which knocked me for 6 I didn't think it was the sort of thing they would order.

Did you go to Kings? They always get stuff like that. I ordered my copy through them.

--------------------
Paul Newell
Titan President

From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PolarBoy

Yeah I went to kings. Sometimes there a bit hit or miss as far as I know they never got in archives 12 unless you order it so it surprised me a bit.

--------------------

Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
MLASH, How did the Interlac guys save the Legion universe and what ideas made it into the book? I am guessing some of the ideas came during the v4 stuff?

thanks (btw never figured you for a BOP reader. doh!)

Jorge

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
Definitely V4. Possibly earlier, but I can't recall.

Garth/Proty and Lar/Eltro Gand started off as fan-fic concepts, IIRC.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

(Jorg-El, BoP is one of my top favorites. That book rocks.)

Short version: legend is that when the LSH lost the lead feature in ADVENTURE and went into ACTION as a backup, and then lost that too, it was the organized fans behind THE LEGION OUTPOST that clamored and carried on until their voices were heard, and the Legion went into Superboy as a backup. Then DC took a chance on a brand-new penciller named Dave Cockrum and history was made.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Vee
Still smoooooth!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vee   Email Vee         Edit/Delete Post     
There's no question that it was the people at Legion Outpost, Interlac and other similar fan clubs(?) that were alrgely responsible for saving the Legion in the dark days after Adventure. They were boisterous, insistant, & determined. They kept up the pressure until DC took a chance on the Legion again.

BTW, Levitz (if I recall correctly) and other Legion big names (the Bierbaums etc) came up to the big leagues from Interlac & Outpost and other fan organizations so these groups had a major impact on our beloved Legion.

--------------------
"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"

From: Paragon City on patrol | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Director Lad
aka Sudro Brown II

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Director Lad   Email Director Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm not sure about Levitz, but Waid definitely came up through the fan ranks before actually working on the Legion professionally.

The Outpost book is actually very interesting. I would recommend it folks who have only been reading Legion since Zero Hour. It'll give them a better sense of the history of the book and why we're all so hung up on the Pre-boot team.

One big point: this is not a Fan Fic book. These are articles written by fans about various aspects of the Legion. Subjects covered include analysis of the length of the Legion timeline, summary of the various Legion couples, a theory about the lifespan of Coluans, and numerous creator interviews. The Giffen interview, though sadly truncated, is facinating for his insights into the various team members. It's really clear that he and Levitz went into their run on the book really wanting to give the characters much more distinct personalities, which I think is the most lasting legacy of their tenure on the book.

So, show the love for the fathers of Legion fandom and pick up this book. You won't regret it.

From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

And don't forget the MOTHERS of Legion fandom... Mercy Van Vlack in that Cockrum Tinya outfit... Popping Hotties!!

--------------------

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH:
And don't forget the MOTHERS of Legion fandom... Mercy Van Vlack in that Cockrum Tinya outfit... Popping Hotties!!

I don't think I'm getting the reference! Is there some hottie that I'm not aware of in a Tinya outfit? Help your online your little brother and let him lay his eyes on this!
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

There's pics galore in the BEST OF... OUTPOST collection!

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.