Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Legion in Crossover!! Pt. 2: Legends

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Legion in Crossover!! Pt. 2: Legends
SLK
longtime listener/first time caller

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLK   Email SLK         Edit/Delete Post     
The Plot: Darkseid decides that the best way to destroy the heroes of earth is to discredit them and take away the people's admiration of them.

How's the Legion involved?: Not by much. Cosmic Boy just happens to be vacationing in the 20th century at the time and he spends the first two issues fighting the fire-giant Brimstone. Along the way he mets the (Detroit) Justice League, Firestorm, Changeling, and the Flash. AFIK he only shows up in the first two issues, and pretty much gets his butt kicked, too. I never got parts 5 & 6.

Crossovers: The four part Cosmic Boy mini series, only the 2nd time a Legionnaire hets his own solo series. The first two issues show Cosmic Boy dealing with what he perceives to be changes in history. For one thing, Superman was never Superboy, and man's first trips into space were faced with difficulty (this series came out shortly after the Challenger explosion). Periodically, we are updated on events of what is going on in the Legends series, but Cosmic Boy and Night Girl have very little to do with that.

The last two issues have nothing to do with Legends as Rokk and Lydda try to get back to their own time period only to face the Time Trapper at the end of time. After a nifty little fight, TT sends the two Legionnaires back home, only to end the series on a strange little cliff-hanger - Superboy and Krypto seemingly under the spell of the Time Trapper! The whole series was basically a set-up for the Death of Superboy story.

Also, Firestorm #55 - The ads show Cosmic Boy on the cover knocked out. I never got this issue. Does Cos have much to do in it?

Comments to follow -->

From: Michigan | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SLK
longtime listener/first time caller

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLK   Email SLK         Edit/Delete Post     
The one thing I like about Legends is that it didn't try to live up to Crisis. It was an entirely different series, and much less cosmic in scale. It's also the series that introduced the DCU to Wally West/Flash, Captain Marvel, the new (Giffen/DeMatteis) Justice League, the Suicide Squad, and (I think) the reintroduction of Wonder Woman. So historically it's pretty important.

So what the heck is Cosmic Boy doing there? It seems as though he's there just to have a Legion connection to draw in more readers. Paul Levitz goes along with using Cosmic Boy, but ultimately for his own purposes as he begins to lay the foundations for his "pocket universe" concept. That seems to be the sole purpose of the Cosmic Boy series.

As for the series itself, it's not too bad. It probably could have been squeezed into 2 or 3 issues, but it does explore a side of Night Girl never seen before by Legion readers. The art is pretty godd sa well with Keith Giffen and Ernie Colon doing most of the work. Much of it remind me of Giffens earlier work when he was still a good artist. And of course the cover by Steve Lightle are amazing as usual.

So it's not much of a Legion connection to the DCU, but at least the 30th century wasn't forgotten. So what did you all think of Legends /Cosmic Boy? Did you have any idea where it all was headed wehn you first read it (Death of Superboy)? Did it just seem like a Legionnaire was just tacked on for the heck of it?

From: Michigan | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.