Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Languages, Species & Planets

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Languages, Species & Planets
Phantom Girl
Long Live the Legion!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phantom Girl   Email Phantom Girl         Edit/Delete Post     
Hi there, I'm looking to compile a list of the languages spoken on each planet and what the correct term for a given species is.

For example, on the planet Braal, are they called Braalians? What is their most common language; Interlac, Braalianese?

I'm hoping to come up with a worthy list for as many planets as possible, not just thost limited to the Legionnaires.

--------------------
I have lived for the Legion and one day I shall die for the Legion.

From: Bgztl | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
For the most part, it seemed that the -ian suffix was used for the natives of most planets:

Braalians
Winathians
Imskians
etc.

There were some notable exceptions: Trommites, Daxamites, Durlans. I think there was at least one instance where the name of the planetary inhabitants changed depending on the writer.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46 cleome46 has just turned 51
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
"Braa-lite" would just sound... awkward. At least in English.

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phantom Girl
Long Live the Legion!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phantom Girl   Email Phantom Girl         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by He Who Wanders:
For the most part, it seemed that the -ian suffix was used for the natives of most planets:

Braalians
Winathians
Imskians
etc.

There were some notable exceptions: Trommites, Daxamites, Durlans. I think there was at least one instance where the name of the planetary inhabitants changed depending on the writer.

Do any of these planets have their own language and if so what are they called?

--------------------

From: Bgztl | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
superboymddjr
Quiet member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for superboymddjr   Email superboymddjr         Edit/Delete Post     
I remember that Imsk was called Imskites, not Imskians. Hmmm...I remember seeing that name somewhere in S/LSH in 1980s. Same with Cargggites or Carggittes.

yeah most tends to end in "-ian" (Lallorians, Coluans - kind of, Bismollians....)

Except: Kathoons, Xanthu ( as I recall, it led to some debates about Xanthu should be Xanthuuuu or Xanthis or Xanthnus or Xanthus or I cannot remember..), Starhaven, Phlon, Tharr, Mardru, Bgztl (either Bgztllians or Bgztllers or Bgztllites?), and a few others.

From: Hayward, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Imskites/Imskians was probably the example I was thinking of in which the name changed depending on the writer.

As for languages, I can't think of any examples of planetary languages being mentioned; there were probably some, however.

In the preboot, ancient Kryptonese/Kryptonian was referenced in one story (Adv. 333); in the reboot, M'onel's name came from Martian, a language belonging to a dead race. The implication of both was that planetary languages belonged to the past.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phantom Girl
Long Live the Legion!

Ok, does anyone know if the Khunds or Dominators actually have some sort of planetary language they used when speaking to one another.

Here's another related question to add to the original post. What about specie accents?

The individual that comes to mind in issue #300, the Anniversary issue is Circadia Senius the chronarch of the Time Institute. He speaks with an accent that could be related to his species (whatever that is) he stutters with the k-k-k-k- thing as he talks. Or do you think he has a speech impediment?

--------------------

lil'rhino
I love everybody & you're next!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lil'rhino   Author's Homepage   Email lil'rhino         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Phantom Girl:

Here's another related question to add to the original post. What about specie accents?

The individual that comes to mind in issue #300, the Anniversary issue is Circadia Senius the chronarch of the Time Institute. He speaks with an accent that could be related to his species (whatever that is) he stutters with the k-k-k-k- thing as he talks. Or do you think he has a speech impediment?

I guess I'd call it a speech impediment, but I think it was used mostly to illustrate the fact that he's from an insect-like race. Just like aliens that resemble lizards or snakes have the s-s-s-s thing when they talk.
From: elizabeth,nj | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.