Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » The Complete Continuity Match-Up Checklist: from Baxter to Levitz Relaunch (revised) (Page 25)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 27 pages: 1  2  3  ...  22  23  24  25  26  27   
Author Topic: The Complete Continuity Match-Up Checklist: from Baxter to Levitz Relaunch (revised)
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
Great answers/thoughts, guys, to an interesting question!

I currently watch Fringe and Once Upon a Time and have watched/read many other 'alternate reality' and 'rebooted' and 'continuity additions or reworkings' stories over my long years with myths/sci-fi/fantasy media.

I tend to just take it in stride, although I like to sometimes play with continuity ideas, like Ex and others have stated that they like to indulge in from time to time, too.
And for all the reasons that they've stated.

My perspective is as a visual artist, though, so my solutions might be more literal.
The example used, the Legion 'parents', I just took at face value and created characters for.
[shrug]

I agree with Kent's terms, as well.
I think that DC had a harder time than Marvel because it's an older franchise, which makes keeping things straight, even before any rebootings, more difficult.

When Marvel started, IIRC, everything (or ALMOST everything) was written/drawn by one team, Stan Lee and Jack Kirby.

That kind of cohesiveness hasn't been possible since those very early days, in any of the largest companies.

Reboots are needed, I'm afraid, since even stretching lifespans only works so long when characters have events happen in their lives.

Even on sitcoms like I LOVE LUCY or Everone Loves Raymond children are born and character staples get sick and die.
[Frown]
imo

[ February 29, 2012, 12:25 AM: Message edited by: Candlelight ]

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the Hermit
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the Hermit   Author's Homepage   Email the Hermit         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Kent Shakespeare:

There is tight continuity, as exemplified by the Stan Lee 1960s model, in which if the Hulk farts in his own issue, it is cross-referenced when Peter Parker hears it all the way across town. This system works when there is a sigular vison to keep multi-series vectors interactive (a la Lee) or when there is a large staff devoted to keeping track of this (such as within a movie, in the Lucas Star Wars universe, or even in the heyday of TV soaps).

I believe that the long-term goal of the 52-boot was/is to establish this type of continuity at DC. It'll be interesting to see how long they can keep it up.

--------------------
First comic books ever bought: A DC four-for-47-cents grab bag that included Adventure #331. Been addicted ever since.

From: Stuck in the Psychedelic Era | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Candlelight:
Even on sitcoms like I LOVE LUCY or Everone Loves Raymond children are born and character staples get sick and die.
[Frown]
imo

Well, sure. After all, those characters are played by actors - who ultimately quit/get fired or get old/sick/die. Even on the Simpsons, a show which doesn't have to deal with aging so directly, a few characters have been written out due to actors quitting/dying.

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver Age Lad
Part-time member living in another century

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silver Age Lad   Email Silver Age Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
I think that DC had a harder time than Marvel because it's an older franchise, which makes keeping things straight, even before any rebootings, more difficult.

When Marvel started, IIRC, everything (or ALMOST everything) was written/drawn by one team, Stan Lee and Jack Kirby.

That kind of cohesiveness hasn't been possible since those very early days, in any of the largest companies.

Reboots are needed, I'm afraid, since even stretching lifespans only works so long when characters have events happen in their lives.

imo

The problem with DC was that each comic and even strip within a comic was pretty much stand-alone. So the Atlantis in Aquaman bore no resemblence to the Atlantis in Superman and so on.

Even when characters crossed over (World's Finest or All Star) quite often a different Atlantis or whatever was created.

With the Silver Age and later DC tried to create a consistant universe but had too much legacy. This was probably the main reason for Crisis on Infinite Earths - to get a single consistant universe. But different editorial teams have continued to protect their properties and the inconsistency has grown back.

Reboots can to some extent solve problems caused by bad editors but what reboots do clear up is the problem of aging heroes (unless you have a relaunch where Batman has still had countless Robins while only being a young Bruce Wayne).

The Legion, having started out as kids and not having the dynamic of a 'current' timeframe should not need reboots. It is only the knock on effects of changes to Superman and Supergirl and possibly Mon-El and XS that cause problems for the Legion. DC know this and appear this time around to have at least tried to grasp the nettle.

--------------------
"Our devotion to each other was unexplainable"
"You were kids"
"No Batman, we were Legion"

From: Ancient Kingdom of Northumbria, UK | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
Yes, Reboot, I was trying to take into account what Kent was saying about sitcoms where the episodes are self contained and used interchangeably.

That is done, but life and scripted events still date the episodes.
Lucy's little Ricky was scripted in to coinside with Lucy's real first child, for example, but her second real child wasn't written into the timeline.

I suppose that the relevance to the Legion is when the creative teams add relationships, marriages, children, injuries, resignations, new members, updated tech, etc..

Tech especially, which hit the Star Trek series, for example.
That's super important to the Legion, which is why Levitz changed parts of the origin continuity this time, even though he was trying to keep most of the original boot storylines and characters.

--------------------

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Silver Age Lad - I agree, but in the earlier days, weren't most of the characters 'owned' by their creators? We know that Superman and Wonder Woman were and are, anyway.
I know that family ownership was why Diana and Bruce couldn't appear on Smallville, IIRC.
And I think I've read in some interview or something, that that's why there won't be any Superman, WW or Batman descendants in the Legion this time around, no Laurel Kent or Kent Shakespeare.

I also think that in the precomputer/internet days it would have been very difficult to keep different creative teams and stories aligned.
Look how Wonder Girl was taken literally by the Teen Titans creators/editors and it was only discovered later that she didn't even exist in their timeline since she was Wonder Woman at the time.
I think the problem was the medium itself, more than DC not caring or trying.
[shrug]

--------------------

Come, join me!

gone
gone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gone   Author's Homepage   Email gone         Edit/Delete Post     
*poof*

[ March 29, 2012, 02:44 PM: Message edited by: gone ]

From: gone | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KryptonKid
Khyddae Kryptoneum

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KryptonKid   Author's Homepage   Email KryptonKid         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:

Lucy's little Ricky was scripted in to coinside with Lucy's real first child, for example, but her second real child wasn't written into the timeline.

Actually, Little Ricky was born when Desi, Jr. was born. Lucy was pregnant with their first child (Lucy, Jr.) when they filmed the pilot, and she was born before the show's first season.

Sorry for the digression.

--------------------
~Integritas~

From: Bgtzl Proper | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anita Cocktail
*hic*

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Anita Cocktail   Author's Homepage   Email Anita Cocktail         Edit/Delete Post     
This thread is simply wonderful!
Such attention to detail!
Salut!

From: Gorilla Nebula Pub | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gone
gone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gone   Author's Homepage   Email gone         Edit/Delete Post     
*poof*

[ March 29, 2012, 02:44 PM: Message edited by: gone ]

From: gone | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
So, anyone want to write up a new "order of membership"?
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver Age Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silver Age Lad   Email Silver Age Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:

It's not just the order but also how. Jo for instance couldn't have had the same initiation test.

--------------------
"You were kids"

From: Ancient Kingdom of Northumbria, UK | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anita Cocktail
*hic*

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Anita Cocktail   Author's Homepage   Email Anita Cocktail         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by gone:
*poof*

Ha! Ha!
Darling, you're such a Silly Sandy!

From: Gorilla Nebula Pub | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver Age Lad

quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:

1-3 Cosmic Boy/Lightning Lad/Saturn Girl

4 Triplicate Girl

5 Phantom Girl

6-8 Chameleon Boy/Colossal Boy/Invisible Kid

9 Ultra Boy

10 Brainiac 5

11 young Superman/Superboy?

--------------------
"You were kids"

Ken Arromdee
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Arromdee   Email Ken Arromdee         Edit/Delete Post     
Added the reference to Lydda and Rokk holding hands in Adventure #9, and Sorcerer's World being back in Legion of Three Worlds (from this thread .)

[ April 15, 2012, 07:47 PM: Message edited by: Ken Arromdee ]

Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 27 pages: 1  2  3  ...  22  23  24  25  26  27   

Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.