Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » The Complete Continuity Match-Up Checklist: from Baxter to Levitz Relaunch (revised) (Page 4)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 27 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  25  26  27   
Author Topic: The Complete Continuity Match-Up Checklist: from Baxter to Levitz Relaunch (revised)
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
[LOL]

I can outdo Blacula. I don't much care because I wasn't around for Countdown and couldn't care less about it or any other Big Event of the last two decades. Just get on with it and tell me some damn stories, DC.

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry:
Wow. Comic fans really have become jaded by all the death in comic books. Bring back a major character. Kill him off. No explanation needed. Fair enough. I stand corrected.

Well I'm just one fan. [Smile] But I know where you're coming from Jerry. Even though, yes - I have become a very jaded comics fan thanks to the constant and unwelcome cycle of death, death, death and rebirth in them, I think my reluctance to want to go back to the Countdown well is because it was SUCH an awful, awful, awful story.

If Karate Kid's story had been told anywhere else, I probably would want to know more about it. But if learning more about Val means having to think more about that above-mentioned turd then I think I'd rather just cut my losses, y'know?

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Language Arts Dave
searching...

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Language Arts Dave   Email Language Arts Dave         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Blacula:

I don't think we (or the new writers who didn't have anything to do with that turd) should be beholden to those who need some sort of explanation for every little detail in that clusterf--- of a book that doesn't match the continuity they remember.

Well, I'm not saying you're wrong, but by this argument, THESE new stories don't match up with the continuity I remember, because they ignore the 5 year gap. And we have a decade and a half of reboot and threeboot members who aren't seeing the Legion they grew up with.

I learned a LONNNNNNG time ago (with the pocket universe) that while I love the rich history and, yes, the sense continuity of the Legion, I can't be that picky, because the company doesn't care. So, the writers aren't going to have to, either.

--------------------
All you need is Love (and a whole big bucket of Money).

From: Lost in the Ozone Again | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
It would be funny if, somewhere in the first few issues of the new Legion, Karate Kid joined for a mission, and, while it would never be stated in text, it would basically indicate that his death in Countdown was now dis-continuity.
Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Even funnier... Chemical King just shows up for a few issues with no explanation, then dies again, and no one seems to find it odd!
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken Arromdee
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Arromdee   Email Ken Arromdee         Edit/Delete Post     
Bump.

I edited this to mention the reboot crossover problem, Durla in Adventure Comics, and Countdown not being in continuity. It seems that editing a post in a thread doesn't update the date, so nobody knows I added anything...

Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
It'll be fun when we can shortly start crossing things off this list or further defining them! I might reread each issue of LSH just to do exactly that (naturally I would hope each issue isn't dedicated to ironing this out, but I hope it happens tangentially).
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Adventure #11 had Chemical King in it for a second confirming his membership is the same as its always been.

(not sure if this was mentioned already).

So, we know Tyroc is still around from solicitations and therefore the statue thing is solved at long last.

I haven't read LSH #1 yet, but it deals with Imra & Garth's kids.

One request: everytime you update the first post, could you post a new post as well to this thread to tell us the updates? Just to satisfy my curiosity as to where we are.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken Arromdee
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Arromdee   Email Ken Arromdee         Edit/Delete Post     
I just edited it now for a minor update on Validus ("in progress") and to point out that the TMK name Garridian is now canon. (Admittedly, it wasn't a very smart idea keeping his name Validus to begin with. I can't imagine any parent actually doing that.)

Edit: Also to mention Chemical King in Adventure #11. In truth, the statues aren't really a problem since they're just statues and nothing says that a couple of them couldn't have been broken by a villain battle a week before the story. Although they were a problem back when Lightning Saga came out and everyone was trying to figure out what the continuity was like using the statues as clues. It's clear by now that the writer or artist was just careless.

Also, mentioning Saturn Girl's telekinesis.

[ May 20, 2010, 08:32 AM: Message edited by: Ken Arromdee ]

Ken Arromdee
Active

Edited again to mention that Superboy was Superboy only in the future.
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Regarding Saturn Girl 'having telekinesis', I said in the original LSH thread and still stand by it, that there is really no evidence at all that suggests that.

It is 100% pure speculation on the part of fandom based on some potential artistic renderings. It is not in the story at all and Paul even explains she is 'using her telepathy'.

I honestly don't think anyone can say she might have telekinesis until we actually hear the words "telenkinesis" in the LSH story.

I'd remove it. (I do see you put it under the 'possible mistakes' category though).

Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
Regarding Saturn Girl 'having telekinesis', I said in the original LSH thread and still stand by it, that there is really no evidence at all that suggests that.

She's 'thinking' at a falling column on the top of page 24, instead of rescuing the people it's about to crush.

In the very next panel, she's snatching a child who is about to fall into a chasm, indicating that she is physically capable of pulling people out of danger. (Which what she *could* have to the couple about to be squished by the column, instead of floating there, watching them die, while 'using telepathy.')

So what is she doing in the top panel, again? Is she telepathically telling the couple about to die, "Hey, you're about to die. Sucks to be you. Before you die, have you seen my kids?" Is she telepathically sedating them, so they won't feel the pain as the stone breaks their bones and crushes their organs? Is she asking them if they have family she should notify about their untimely deaths?

What is the point of her using 'telepathy' in that top panel? Is she comforting them? Taunting them? Feeding off of their fear and devouring their souls? Ripping their bank-codes out of their brains, so that she can empty their accounts before they are legally declared dead in the post-crisis confusion?

The third/fourth panel similarly shows her using 'telepathy' while rubble falls onto a crowd of people. If she's using telekinesis to stop the rubble, well, that's useful. If she's just standing around with her hand to her temple, there's not really much justifcation for that. Is she telling everyone, again, that they are about to be squished? Is she apologizing for not being able to save them? Is she telepathically absorbing their psyches, so that, after their bodies are crushed and they 'die,' she can go back to earth and clone new bodies for them and telepathically download their thoughts and memories into these new clones, making it like they never died?

I dunno. There's no text saying one way or another. She's just depicted as floating there, watching people die, while using 'telepathy,' which, traditionally, isn't terribly useful against falling rocks.

On page 27 she 'uses telepathy' on a window and it breaks. The art makes it look like she did something to the window, but telepathy doesn't break glass. (Not even if she 'shouts real loud,' since, even if she's the Ella Fitzgerald of telepaths, you can't break a glass by thinking the right note.)

Looking at that panel in a vacuum, it's *entirely possible* that an earthquake just happened to break the window while she was floating there, using telepathy to try and find her boys, but, if that's the intent of that picture, it sure wasn't made clear, and, it's negated as a possibility in the very next frame, where we see the inside of the room, with lamps, a book stand, a computer monitor and even an action figure (the one on the desk, not the one on the floor) *all standing up.* If an earthquake had broken the window, the action figure, at least, would have fallen over, and probably the books from the shelves, etc., etc.

So even when I try to go out of my way to make an excuse for how the breaking window wasn't telekinesis, the very next frame works against me and says, 'no earthquake here.'

If Paul does not intend for her to have TK, then awesome, 'cause I don't think that the woman who can read thoughts, send thoughts, knock out Mon-El and Ultra Boy with a glance, create psychic illusions, mind control people, detect the presence of thinking minds, incite or suppress emotions, telepathically sedate people, etc. really *needs* another power.

Saturn Girl, like most telepaths, is crazy good. She doesn't need Telluses powers, too.

I don't know if this was an artistic flub, or a writer flub, but it was a flub, even if the flub was no text stating that she was absorbing the dying people's minds telepathically, with the intent of spitting them out into cloned bodies later.

But, IMO, the option that she was using telepathy to 'save their data before the hardware was squished' is *less likely* than that she was intended by the artistic representation to be affecting stone and glass with her powers.

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Levitz clearly did not intend for her to have TK, so I'd chalk it up to Cinar's unfamiliarity with the characters.

I'd agree from the scans of the two pages that it's hard to interpret them any other way.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Set, we're in total agreement about what's Paul's intentions might be--definitely don't want Imra to have the TK.

Eryk is very likely right and its an artistic mistake. But Paul does not expressly state she has TK so I would say she does not have it. Likely it will not be addressed ever again.

I would chalk this up to another 'statues in Lightning Saga' debacle.

*If* there was any TK being used, than quite simply, she was using her flight ring to do it.

Vee
Still smoooooth!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vee   Email Vee         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:

*If* there was any TK being used, than quite simply, she was using her flight ring to do it.

Or the simple answer which no one has mentioned... as a Legionnaire she is used to acting in emergencies. Most Titanians are not even though they may have powers which she does not.

She may simply be using her powers to control some of the other poeple in an emergency and using their TK powers to stop the falling column, debris, etc.

--------------------
"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"

From: Paragon City on patrol | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 27 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  25  26  27   

Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.