Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Starman #50, guest-starring reboot-Thom and reboot-Tasmia (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Starman #50, guest-starring reboot-Thom and reboot-Tasmia
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
This, in my opinion, is not only one of the best issues of Starman, but possibly the best-written story taking place in the 30th Century of the reboot era.

Also, one of the best Tasmia portrayals of any boot: regal and fierce, with a softer side she keeps well hidden. The panel where she hugs Jack and says, "Thom, if you tell any of the Legionnaires I was ever this nice to someone, I swear I'll kill you!" is one of my favorite panels of all time.

If the reboot LSH itself had been this well-written, it would never have needed DnA to come in and grittify the Legion, and it would never have been cancelled.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
The same could be said for Justice League of America.

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Ironic, given who wrote this story, no?

--------------------

Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
Yyyyyyyyyyyyyep.

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Wow. I'm surprised to see this thread plummeting towards page 2.

I know Legion World has some hardcore Tasmia fans, some hardcore Thom fans, some hardcore Starman fans, and some hardcore fans of all three.

Where are you?

--------------------

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
It's been years since I read the issue; I dropped STARMAN not longer after this issue and sold off all my run, so I don't feel educated enough to discuss the issue. [Frown]

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Well, if it's any consolation, the Grand Guignol arc which follws the (wonderful IMO) Stars My Destination arc is a near-unreadable mess, although the last few remaining issues are good.

Was Tasmia ever as cool in the reboot as she was in this issue?

--------------------

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
IIRC, it was during "Grand Guignol" that I brought the axe down on STARMAN.

Oh yes, Tas was VERY COOL, especially during Legion Lost.

She handily whips the asses of both Monstress and Ultra Boy in one scene. And Coipel's 1940's hairstyle for her.... BE. YOND. FAB.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Will have to check out Legion Lost. Thanks, Lash.

--------------------

Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Fanfic Lass:
Well, if it's any consolation, the Grand Guignol arc which follws the (wonderful IMO) Stars My Destination arc is a near-unreadable mess, although the last few remaining issues are good.

It reads better in TPB format, but certainly wasn't up to the series' usual snuff.

quote:
Originally posted by Fanfic Lass:
Was Tasmia ever as cool in the reboot as she was in this issue?

generally, yes. Although she rarely had center stage, except in L-Lost and the Lightle issue (24?).
From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Ah, yes, the Lightle issue! Thanks for reminding me about that, Kent. Will add it to my list of back issues to search for this week.

Kent, what did you think of Stars My Destination overall? I think even though it's not the "purest" Starman arc, it's got a lot of wonderful stuff in it.

--------------------

Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

I liked a lot of it. I loved the Ditko Starman, so it was neat to see so much of that revisited - without really undoing his pointless death in COIE. It was also neat to see Tigorr back in action. While I didn't like seeing Gavyn's best-bud Jeddah be a villain, it was handled well, and I came to accept it.

if memory serves, the first story in this volume was the one with the Space Ranger and others telling variations on the Starman story as they'd heard it? I loved that! especially the one where they're talking like pirates.

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

There was also an issue of the Legends of the Legion mini that spotlighted Tasmia, but I don't remember how well that one was done.
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

I might the Legends of the Legion issue a go. I'm sure I can find it super-cheap. Thanks, Kent.

My favorite moments from Stars My Destination, besides the issue that inspired this thread, were the Jor-El and Adam Strange issues.

--------------------

Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

they were great. I thought those were from the prior TPB, tho, so I didn't mention them.

so I gather you were referring to the entire space run, then?

my least favorite was the visit to Swamp Thing's blue world. Alan Moore did that better, and in the context of the whole series, it was one Solomon Grundy appearance too many for me.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.