Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Starman #50, guest-starring reboot-Thom and reboot-Tasmia (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Starman #50, guest-starring reboot-Thom and reboot-Tasmia
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Yes, the entire space run.

quote:
Originally posted by Kent:
my least favorite was the visit to Swamp Thing's blue world. Alan Moore did that better, and in the context of the whole series, it was one Solomon Grundy appearance too many for me.

Wow. That is amazing. The blue world is my least favorite segment, too.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I also have to say that I really liked Thom in this issue, too. I've never been a fan of the preboot Thom because he broke Nura's heart.

--------------------

Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
Nura was hardly an innocent, as I recall.
From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
The only Starman story I liked reading so far, I mean REALLY liked, is the Legends of the Dead Earth annual with the Prairie Witch.

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

quote:
Originally posted by Kent:
Nura was hardly an innocent, as I recall.

Oh, I know. But Thom could have handled it better than just giving her the cold shoulder and moving back to Xanthu.

--------------------

Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Yeah, and he did handle it better for years. She just wouldn't grow up until it was too late for them.

Actually a rather real life couple with these two. Things should have worked out, but didn't...things happen sometimes that we can't, or in Dreamy's case, choose not to control. Could Thom have taken the high road...yeah, but he finally just had enough of her games.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

What you say is true, Dev. I just find it very easy to turn a blind eye to Nura's faults. She seemed to me like deep down, underneath all the frivolity, she was very lonely and needy. Could she have taken responsibility for her behavior? Sure, but then she wouldn't be Nura.

--------------------

Mattropolis

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mattropolis   Author's Homepage   Email Mattropolis         Edit/Delete Post     
As much as I love Nura, she did take Thom for granted one time too many. I know that she loved him, but I think deep down she didn't know how to be with him.

--------------------
Touch the magic...

From: Morganfield, KY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I thought this was a great story! It's been awhile since I've read it but I remember loving it at the time. It was a great chance to see Star Boy & Umbra removed from the rest of the Legion and then have connections to Starman, Mikaal and the Shade.

I loved the space-arc in Starman in a big way. Remember just loving it at the time and thought it just kept getting stronger as it went. The Moore blue planet was 'okay'; the Jor-El stuff was better and then things got really good after that.

I also really liked the story in the back of Space-Cabbie's cab with Space Ranger, Starfire, Ultraa, etc.

This arc made me a fan of Prince Gavyn as well.

As for preboot Thom, I've always blamed Nura for their break-up. She had it coming, for taking him for granted far too often. Still, I love Nura and actually like her more than Thom--she's a favorite. But you can't be that needed and self-centered and not suffer the consequences. Just another reason why she was such a strong, complex character.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mattropolis

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mattropolis   Author's Homepage   Email Mattropolis         Edit/Delete Post     
As hard as we try and as much as we want them to, some relationships just don't work out.

I've been there...

--------------------
Touch the magic...

From: Morganfield, KY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Sometimes you just gots to call it quits, move home, and become a planetary champion!
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mattropolis

There are worse fates...

--------------------
Touch the magic...

Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
I thought this was a great story! It's been awhile since I've read it but I remember loving it at the time. It was a great chance to see Star Boy & Umbra removed from the rest of the Legion and then have connections to Starman, Mikaal and the Shade.

I loved the space-arc in Starman in a big way. Remember just loving it at the time and thought it just kept getting stronger as it went. The Moore blue planet was 'okay'; the Jor-El stuff was better and then things got really good after that.

I also really liked the story in the back of Space-Cabbie's cab with Space Ranger, Starfire, Ultraa, etc.

This arc made me a fan of Prince Gavyn as well.

The quality of the Jor-El issue makes the mediocrity of Robinson's work on Superman-proper all the more disappointing. [sigh]

--------------------

Matt Kramer
Substitute Podcaster!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matt Kramer   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Kramer         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm a huge fan of Starman and really echo a lot of what people are saying! In the series, I think that the space arc was the weakest segment, but of course, there was a lot of stuff going on behind the scenes that probably had a serious affect on the storytelling, like Tony Harris' departure and then his little tiff with James, Archie Goodwin's death and James not wanting to continue with the book, and then Goyer coming on as a co-plotter. I think that the book really ramps back up after the space stuff ends.

--------------------
Check out the Legion of Substitute Podcasters!

http://www.legionofsubstitutepodcasters.com

From: Grafton, WI | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Wow.

First of all, Matt, thanks for re-activating this topic and for sharing the behind-the-scenes doings. Even though I have all the floppies, I've been borrowing the Starman Omnibus volumes from the library just to read Robinson's "director's commentaries." I'm sure he'll elaborate on what you just revealed when we reach Omnibus Volume Five.

I think you may enjoy my JLA fanfics, as Mikaal figures heavily in them, and the Shade appears in one of them, and NOT as a villain. You can read them at the threads that I've provided links for in my signature.

I think you and I could have some extremely interesting Starman discussions, because we seem to see the book in completely different ways. And that's GOOD! A work of Starman's ambition and scope SHOULD inspire a variety of interpretations and a spirited discussion!

There's not yet a proper Starman thread in the Dr. Gymll's forum. Would you like to be the one to start it?

--------------------

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.