Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Legion Board Game NOT Canon (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Legion Board Game NOT Canon
BouncingBear
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BouncingBear   Email BouncingBear         Edit/Delete Post     
So I asked Paul Levitz on facebook if the Legion Board Game was to be taken seriously and if it was canon. He said:

"Nope...just a game Brian cooked up and a smile. Kinda like the old Stan & Jack plotting sessions in the back of the classic Marvel annuals...

[ February 04, 2011, 10:11 PM: Message edited by: lil'rhino ]

From: San Francisco | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gone
gone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gone   Author's Homepage   Email gone         Edit/Delete Post     
Well that should make some readers feel better. Now ask him if anything else is cannon, because it feels alot like the Legion back-up story in Legends.

--------------------
gone

From: gone | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken Arromdee
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Arromdee   Email Ken Arromdee         Edit/Delete Post     
Okay, fine. It was hard to tell, though. It's not as if the timeline said things like "Fifteenth Legion HQ built, HQ building becomes a 31st century career choice" or anything else which is obviously both jokey and false, except maybe the mention of Shadow Lass's divorce, which given the retconning we see nowadays isn't that unbelievable as a retcon.

Anyway, added a note to the continuity checklist saying it's not canon. Should I leave it in the checklist at all?

Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gone
gone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gone   Author's Homepage   Email gone         Edit/Delete Post     
Maybe a Footnote: Legion board game seemed to contradict several historical events, however, Mr. Levitz confirmed it was not to be tsken as cannon. ?
Or however you want to deal with it. You are doing all the work, you should get to choose how to handle it.

--------------------
gone

From: gone | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TimeTrapR
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TimeTrapR           Edit/Delete Post     
Until the published work states otherwise of course [Wink]

Yet it was presented as a game and I'm sure it achieved the desired affect.

Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
I dunno about anything else, but the cannon is one of my favorite pieces from the Monopoly board game!
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Legion Tracker
Veteran

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Legion Tracker           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
The cannon is one of my favorite pieces from the Monopoly board game!

EDE, perfect game piece for the Legion board game!

--------------------
"Been killed--didn't like it." (Duplicate Damsel, Legion of Super-Heroes #10)

From: Groga | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
Does that mean Tasmia and Lar AREN'T divorced?
Because she's certainly 'shacking up with Earth Man'.

It's good to know it's not canon, well, not all of it because some of it was correct.
jeez

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken Arromdee
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Arromdee   Email Ken Arromdee         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Candlelight:

It's good to know it's not canon, well, not all of it because some of it was correct.
jeez

It's generally believed (prior to the board game) that Conspiracy didn't happen, thus no marriage in the first place (and which is why she still has the finger--and why Mon-El is still alive, since he died a few issues after the marriage).
Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
Paul's response is disappointing if not surprising. DC just seems to be stuck in this rut of stubbornly refusing to provide any clarification regarding fans questions concerning some major continuity glitches. One of the prime examples for me is the dangling question for Wonder Woman fans regarding whether Hyppolyta's career as the World War II era Wonder Woman stands.

This status quo is even more unfortunate for the Legion, because the much of the confusion relates to major story lines scripted by the current writer. If anyone should know whether or not Conspiracy happened it would be Paul Levitz.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gone
gone

quote:
It's generally believed (prior to the board game) that Conspiracy didn't happen, thus no marriage in the first place (and which is why she still has the finger--and why Mon-El is still alive, since he died a few issues after the marriage).
Of course, The Magic Wars occured and Pol died after Conspiracy aswell and yet we know that still happened.

quote:
Paul's response is disappointing if not surprising. DC just seems to be stuck in this rut of stubbornly refusing to provide any clarification regarding fans questions concerning some major continuity glitches.
DC does not care about what fans think. They only care about sales/profits and as long as the fans buy, that is all they care about.

--------------------
gone

Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
That's a bit of an oversimplification. Of course comic book companies care about sales. It's difficult to have good sales without trying to figure out, at some level, what the customers want - or at least what they will spend their money on. There is enough diversity regarding what fans want, though, that it is often a moving target.

Legion sales seem to have settled around the 25K mark. Those of us who care about whether or not Conspiracy happened are a small enough number that providing an explanation probably would not have much of an impact either way. It is frustrating for those of us who do care, and have been loyal not to have explanations that would be fairly simple to provide.

Ultimately, the decision for DC has to do with accessibility of the stories they present. Do continuity glitches make things so confusing that new fans are put off by the book. Or, do attempts to straighten these things out highlight the complex history of the characters and put off potential new fans even more? I don't have the answer. DC doesn't appear to either. They seem to have given up, and that concerns me.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Ken Arromdee:
quote:
Originally posted by Candlelight:

jeez

Well, if Levitz isn't going to address the actual circumstance of the Conspiracy, one of his own major storylines BEFORE Magic Wars, I don't know what to say.

I DO know that Lar and Shady talked about marriage long before and they could have easily followed though with those plans, especially if Lar wasn't mortally hurt.

And IF he wasn't hurt that badly, he could have easily talked Shady out of mutilating herself, since in the original story she did that completely on her own.

Since Paul said that everything through Magic Wars happened to some degree or other, I don't see why we can't assume that they were married.

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hackett           Edit/Delete Post     
As a continuity wonk myself it's frustrating, but I do understand where Paul is coming from. We have a "close as we'll get" form of the Legion that more or less picks up Paul's cast where he left off and he's forging forward. I think there's not much to be gained story-wise from going back and hitting minutiae right now (I know, I know, Mon's death isn't exactly a minor thing).
The most important thing right now is to get the team on a stable track and tell good stories. Taking the time to go back and rehash and clarify will only stall the book and risk alienating new readers and those who aren't that curious to get this sorted out. I'm sure down the road there's room for "Lost Tales" but I think for now we're left to debate on our own and play the "Maybe it was this way..." game.

From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaim Mattis Keller
Legion-Reference-File Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chaim Mattis Keller   Email Chaim Mattis Keller         Edit/Delete Post     
IamLegion:

quote:
Of course, The Magic Wars occured and Pol died after Conspiracy aswell and yet we know that still happened.
We know Pol died, but we don't know exactly about the Magic Wars, because Zerox still exists (or has been restored?) and it was destroyed at the end of the MWs.

--------------------
Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@nyc.rr.com
Legion-Reference-File Lad

From: New York, NY, USA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.