Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Legion of the Damned reprint recalled by DC (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Legion of the Damned reprint recalled by DC
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
Yeah, googoomuck. It makes the self-congratulation from DC about how they're "holding the line" against price hikes that much more annoying. Comics content is slim enough for the dollar(s) as it is, and now I have to look at (usually hideous, totally uninteresting) previews-- and pay for them. (Damn. That utter eyesore of a Green Arrow preview from a couple of months back. Thinking about it still gives me a headache.) Sometimes it's the same preview in multiple issues, too.

And Batman needs more commercial buzz like the damn Pentagon needs a bigger budget, so there's that annoyance, too.

I'd rather have the ads for bogus "X-Ray Glasses" and Hostess snack cakes back, personally. [Razz]

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by googoomuck:
quote:
Wonderful. DC does not reprint the covers but includes a Batman preview!
Does anyone else find those previews annoying?
I'm a sucker every time, I'm always annoyed the issue is about 6 less pages than I thought when I picked it up.

Not to mention all the artists that do splash page after splash page instead of dialogue filled panels.

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AndrewNolan
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AndrewNolan   Email AndrewNolan         Edit/Delete Post     
Power Boy (or anyone else who has a copy),
Would you mind listing what was included in the issue? From what was posted so far there are
1. 88 interior pages
2. One page for a cover
3. One page for a Flashpoint ad and
4. One page for a Batman Arkham City preview
That is a total of 91 pages. What were the remaining 9 pages? I have waited a long time for this and the curiosity is getting to me! Any additional information would be most appreciated! Thanks!

From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
You only going to be disappointed.

1 page cover
1 page interior cover ad for geek chic daily.com
22 pages (#2. in the story) Legionnaires #79 Damned if we do
22 pages (4.) Legionnaires #80 Damned for all eternity
1 page Flashpoint ad (comes after page 19 of #80)
22 pages (1.) Legion of Super-Heroes (Volume 4) #122
Legion of the Damned
22 pages (3.) Legion of Super-Heroes (Volume 4) #123
Damned if we don't

1 page Ad for a Batman Arkham city and companion video game
5 pages of sneak preview Batman Arkham City
1 page DC Nation
1 page ad for iFanboy interior rear cover
1 page ad for Doctor Who exterior rear cover

make sense?

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AndrewNolan
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AndrewNolan   Email AndrewNolan         Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks for the information, Power Boy, that was most appreciated.

Oh my! This is what was included rather than the original covers? That is disappointing.

I think Michael over at The Legion Omnicom summarized this quite well.

That Damned Reprint.

From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Quislet
Vote for Mighty Mog

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Quislet   Email Kid Quislet         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by cleome:
I'd rather have the ads for bogus "X-Ray Glasses" and Hostess snack cakes back, personally. [Razz]

When I re-read the oldies, I always get a smile from those Hostess ads. [Cool]

--------------------
"My dance card was getting fuller than a contestant's at a Jandan shurg-off." - Exnihil, The Lost Klordny

From: Frederick, MD | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
Does the issue list an editor? I don't mean the original story editor, Mike McAvennie, but for this issue... someone to hold responsible and ridicule for this awesome blunder?

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

absolutely not ... there's no room!
AndrewNolan
Active

The saga of this reprint continues for me! Being such a huge fan of the DNA Legion, especially LOD, I wanted to get a copy of this as soon as possible. On April 21st, I was one of the lucky winners of this trade on eBay. I immediately paid for the auction and had peace of mind that I secured my copy. The next day I receive this message from the seller.

Hi. If you purchased this with the intent of getting one of the recalled issues we will not be able to fill your order. Most of our issues were damaged in the storm. Replacements are being shipped on May 11 but they will be the corrected issues. I apologize and have issued a refund.

The seller also sent a request to cancel the transaction on eBay (which I didn’t even know existed). I promptly declined the offer to cancel the transaction and paid for the auction a second time. Shortly thereafter I receive the following message from the seller;

Hi. I see you rejected my request to cancel this transaction. I can't fill your order. All but 1 of the few issues of the recalled version were ruined when the storm took out the front window of our store. I can send you one of the books when DC re-issues them on May 11. I am open to suggestions. I apologize but there is nothing I can do.

I am not convinced his story is true but the reality is that I will not be receiving a book from him.

Now for the good news. I then called a very good friend in Florida who called his comic store to see if they had a copy. They indicated that the store had one and their second store may have a copy as well. He immediately reserved both copies for me!

All is well that ends well and I can’t wait for this to end!

Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
I got an email from my mail-order company DCBS:

quote:
DC COMICS PRESENTS LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES #1 (FEB110191) scheduled to arrive in stores on April 20 were printed with the chapters in the wrong order. We will receive our replacement copies on May 11.
--so I'll get it one shipment later. [shrug]

Stinks to hear they cut covers to run promo crap, but it's a "comic", not a TPB (like I feel it deserved. [Razz] )

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AndrewNolan
Active

quote:
Originally posted by Pov:

Stinks to hear they cut covers to run promo crap, but it's a "comic", not a TPB (like I feel it deserved. [Razz] ) [/QB]

Quite honestly, Pov, I didn't realize this was a comic until your post. I agree -- this should have been a TPB.
Mediocre Boy
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mediocre Boy   Email Mediocre Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
That really sucks that there are only 91 pages in a supposed 100-page one-shot/reprint. Especially in light of the fact that they appear to have excised part of the story (Live Wire's journey to the Stem after being shot with tangleweed).

*** SPOILER!!! ***

As I recall, he was merely pulled underground into some sort of transport sap artery and conveyed into the Stem itself. Unfortunately, I can't recall what happened once he got there, and don't have the original issue here with me in Ottawa to check.

--------------------
Yeah, yeah, yeah. Okay, so the meek[s] shall inherit inherit the Earth, but what about the geeks? I still want Baffin Island--polar bears and all! :)

From: Brampton, Canada | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the Hermit
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the Hermit   Author's Homepage   Email the Hermit         Edit/Delete Post     
So are they planning on reprinting Widening Rifts as well? Seems silly not to, as it bridges the gap between Damned and Lost.

--------------------
First comic books ever bought: A DC four-for-47-cents grab bag that included Adventure #331. Been addicted ever since.

From: Stuck in the Psychedelic Era | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AndrewNolan
Active

quote:
Originally posted by Mediocre Boy:
That really sucks that there are only 91 pages in a supposed 100-page one-shot/reprint. Especially in light of the fact that they appear to have excised part of the story (Live Wire's journey to the Stem after being shot with tangleweed).

*** SPOILER!!! ***

As I recall, he was merely pulled underground into some sort of transport sap artery and conveyed into the Stem itself. Unfortunately, I can't recall what happened once he got there, and don't have the original issue here with me in Ottawa to check.

I don't have a copy of the reprint just yet but I believe all the LOD interiors were reprinted. Power Boy listed 22 pages per issue and that is what was contained in the original issues.

I believe you are referring to the opening sequence in Legion of Super-Heroes #124 Widening Rifts-Part 1. The opening splash page features Garth face down in the root network of the stem. Page 2 and page 3 has Garth roaming in the stem but page 4 reveals that Garth is just dreaming (reliving the nightmare).

AndrewNolan
Active

quote:
Originally posted by the Hermit:
So are they planning on reprinting Widening Rifts as well? Seems silly not to, as it bridges the gap between Damned and Lost.

Good question Hermit. Since the LOD reprint is now due May 11th and the Legion Lost trade in mid-June, I doubt it.

My preference would have been for DC to make the LOD a trade and include Legionnaires #78 (Prelude to LOD) and the three-issue Widening Rifts storyline (LSH #124, L*81 and LSH #125).

Of course, a boatload of extras in both would have been nice as well!

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.