Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » The New 52-Fabian Nicieza talks Legion Lost (Including Artwork) (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The New 52-Fabian Nicieza talks Legion Lost (Including Artwork)
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
The following's a discussion with Fabian over at the DCU Blog about his career and what's to come, including artwork from Pete Woods for the new Legion Lost series.

http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/2011/08/17/who%E2%80%99s-who-at-dc-comics-the-new-52-fabian-nicieza/

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
I wonder if "Alastor" could possibly be a typo for "Alaktor"?
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
superboymddjr
Quiet member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for superboymddjr   Email superboymddjr         Edit/Delete Post     
i dont like the story plot! [Frown] and looks like that Gates and Chameleon Girl may be dead....

[ August 17, 2011, 08:55 PM: Message edited by: superboymddjr ]

From: Hayward, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
I wonder if "Alastor" could possibly be a typo for "Alaktor"?

There's quite a bit of Alastor lore at the DC message boards.

Fabian attempted a bit of 'viral marketing' by anonymously posting some 'public communiques' from Alastor about the loss of his sister on Earth and, gradually, turning to more radical acts, but, because they were anonymous, and there was an embarassing mispelling in the first few (forgot the 'l' in public, making them seem spam-y), they got ignored until weeks later, when he spoke up about them.

It's totally cool that a writer would do something like this (sowing seeds on a message board to gin up some excitement for the upcoming series), and a darn shame that it kinda fell flat.

Here's the thirteen posts he made as 'Alastor'

Click Here For A SpoilerPublic Communique (translated)
Posted: Apr 2, 2011 1:41 PM

Routing Center: Transit Hub 776543
Origination Point: Sector 7, Dinna Mitre, Rimbor
Destination: Metropolis, Earth
Time Stamp: Gesta.2.3008

Maryessa,

I haven't heard from you in days. With news of the increased rancor among the human isolationists, I'm getting very worried that something has happened to you. Are your studies on Earth so important that you'd risk your life among a species who can not seem to tolerate the diversity the universe has to offer? We both know I never wanted you to pursue your studies so far from home, but that's not the reason I want you to leave that mudball planet.

The sooner you tell me everything is going well, the sooner I will stop bothering you with these messages. Truthfully, since losing my job here, I can't afford to even leave Rimbor and return home, much less continue sending trans-system postings to check on you!

So spare your big brother from the poor house and write back!

With love and concern,

Alastor

Public Communique #2 (translated)
Posted: Apr 7, 2011 7:55 PM

Destination: Metropolis, Earth
Time Stamp: Gesta (April) 25th, 3008

Maryessa,
You never responded to my communique of G18. All the news I'm seeing coming from Earth concerns me greatly. This entire "human first" movement is distasteful and dangerous, and I'm worried that your college campus, with its huge alien population, will become a lightning rod for their hatred.

There have been reports of riots, terrorist attacks and aliens being attacked at random. You know how the media is here on Rimbor, so it's impossible to separate fact from fiction. I really need to hear from you to make sure everything is all right.

If I could secure a job on a cargo ship to Earth, I would be on it in a second, but everyone is trying to leave Rimbor and I don't have the credits to bribe my way on to a transport.

I'm disgusted the Terrans have made so many people around the galaxy so anxious. I know sending a communique costs a lot, believe me, I've barely been able to scrape enough credits together to send you this message, but please, sister, respond as soon as you can.

With love and concern,
Alastor

Subject Heading: Pubic Communique #3 (translated)
Posted: Apr 18, 2011 7:36 PM

Destination: Metropolis University Student Affairs Administrative Center; Metropolis, Earth
Time Stamp: Arsa (May) 2th, 3008

To Whom It May Concern,

My sister, Maryessa [Aghini Faud], is a freshman student at your university, living in the Allon Residence Hall. I am worried because I have not heard from her in several weeks and she has not responded to three of my communiques.

I am trying not to overreact, but it is unlike her to ignore my communiques. We have a very close relationship and that bond remained strong even after she emigrated to Earth for her studies.

You could understand my concern, considering all the news being reported about the "Humans First" isolationists committing hate crimes on aliens in Metropolis.

I do not have contact information for her roommates or teachers, or I would have tried to reach her through them.

I am hoping you may help me locate her to make sure she is safe.

Thank you for your assistance.

Alastor

Public Communique #4
Posted: Apr 30, 2011 11:20 AM

Routing Center: Transit Hub 44773
Origination Point: Metropolis University Student Affairs Administrative Center; Metropolis, Earth
Destination: Rimbor, Dinna Mitre, Sector 7
Time Stamp: 5.28.3008

Dear Mr. Alastor,

We received you message of 5.12.3008 regarding the whereabouts of your missing sister, Maryessa Aghini Faud. It is with deep regret we inform you that at this time, we can not provide you with a definitive answer regarding her whereabouts or her condition. Due to recent spate of terrorist attacks committed by isolationist extremists in the Metropolis area, there have been multiple casualties whose remains have gone unidentified.

We do not know for certain your sister is among the missing, and even if she was, it is uncertain that sufficient remains exist to properly identify her. Unfortunately, there are hundreds of similar cases pending, a status complicated, as you can imagine, by the fact the victims were specifically targeted because they are aliens, and as such are harder to identify for next of kin notification.

We have passed your information to the Science Police Medical Examiner's Information Services Department and we recommend you contact them immediately as well. We are terribly sorry that we can tell you little more at this time and we hope by some stroke of fortune that your sister was not a victim of the recent troubles.

Best of luck to you, sir.

Andeera Gault
Director of Student Affairs; Off-world Residential Advisor
Metropolis University

Public Communique #5 (translated)
Posted: May 8, 2011 7:10 PM

Destination: Science Police Medical Examiner's Information Services Department ; Metropolis, Earth
Time Stamp: Pensa (June) 14th, 3008

To Whom This May Concern,

I have been searching for my missing sister, Maryessa Aghini Faud, a year1 student at Metropolis University. I was referred to your organization by Andeera Gault, Director of Student Affairs; Off-world Residential Advisor, who informed me that my sister has not been heard of in weeks. Indeed, that with the recent spate of anti-alien terrorist activity, she may have been a victim of your planet's growing insanity.

I would like to know if DNA sampling has been conducted on any unidentified victims of those attacks. I can provide corroborating DNA samples if necessary, which can be used to possibly help identify my sister.

Please, I implore you for some assistance in this matter. As I reside on Rimbor and my funds are limited, so too has been my ability to advocate for my sister. My family has neither the credits or the connections to foment public scrutiny of the awful circumstances surrounding her disappearance, but I assure you, her family loves her very much. Her family misses her very much. All we ask is for some sense of closure on this matter.

Thank you for your time. I anticipate your response.

Alastor

Public Communique #6 (translated)
Posted: May 15, 2011 6:29 PM

Origination Point: Science Police Medical Examiner's Information Services Department ; Metropolis, Earth
Time Stamp: August 22nd, 3008

Dear Mr. Alastor Aghini Faud,

Our apologies for the delay in responding to your query of 14.June.

We have checked our datanet and found no catalogue of the sister you claim is missing. Our ability to identify the victims of the recent terrorist attacks has been severely compromised by the lack of available sampling material from among the missing. The attacks left little to nothing in terms of organic material that could be accurately codified through verifiable DNA testing.

Of course if you wish to send us familial DNA samples, as well as any samples from the missing individual that has not been previously compromised, such as original cell, hair, skin or blood samples that have been properly stored in an appropriate medical facility, then please feel free to do so. It could only help us in any future opportunities for sampling should unexpected organic remains be found during the reconstruction of the attack sites.

Our sincerest regrets for your inconvenience.

Sincerely,

Arlo Ponthe
Assistant Resources Manager
Science Police Medical Examiner's Information Services Dept.

Public Communique #7 (translated)
Posted: May 23, 2011 1:19 PM

Destination: Science Police Medical Examiner's Information Services Department ; Metropolis, Earth
Time Stamp: Serga (September) 11th, 3008

To Mr. Arlo Ponthe

It took you two months to respond to the query regarding my missing sister, Maryessa Aghini Faud, and in the first sentence of that response, your stated position is that I "claim" she is missing? Is this how you have treated all the family of those missing or killed by your xenophobic human residents or have you only chosen to treat those from the less influential in such a rude manner?

You have basically told me there is little you can (or will) do for my sister and that I should simply accept her ill-defined status. I know in my heart she is dead, killed on a world far away from her home. Killed because she believed in a dream of interspecies cooperation. Killed because the world she saw as a beacon for that opportunity, the world that founded the United Planets, Earth, could no longer accommodate such a dream.

Along with this letter I am sending you further "uncompromised" samples of my sister's DNA in the hope, faint though they may be, that your organization will actually choose to do something with the materials I provide you to bring a sense of finality to her status.

The prevailing view among the outer worlds has been that Earth's recent xenophobic excesses were caused by a very small minority of residents. We thought these sad ignorant fools simply didn't see the wonder and diversity of the galaxy as most Terrans do. Unfortunately, the indifference of your response to my situation is forcing me to consider that this ignorance is the prevailing attitude among humans.

A shame for the entire galaxy if that proves to be true.

Sincerely,
Alastor

Public Communique #8
Posted: Jun 1, 2011 6:43 PM

Origination Point: Science Police Medical Examiner's Information Services Department; Metropolis, Earth
Time Stamp: January 12th, 3009

Dear Mr. Alastor Aghini Faud,

Our apologies for the delay in responding to your query of 11.September.3008.

We have used the DNA samples from the package you sent us to compare against the meager biological evidence obtained at the sites of the Earth First terrorist attacks. Unfortunately, no match was found in our datanet to those of your missing sister, Maryessa Aghini Faud. As discussed, our ability to identify the victims has been severely compromised due to the nature of the attacks.

It is unlikely at this time that we will find scientific evidence to confirm that your sister was killed in one of those attacks. If you still have not heard from her, it is highly likely she was among the lost. Our best recommendation is that you proceed under the assumption she is no longer living and prepare according to the customs of your culture.

Our sincerest regrets to you and your family for your loss.

Sincerely,

Arlo Ponthe

Public Communique #9
Posted: Jun 13, 2011 6:06 AM

Origination Point: Metropolis University Student Affairs Administrative Center; Metropolis, Earth
Time Stamp: May 17th, 3009

Dear Mr. Alastor,

During preparation for the end of the university semester, our housing department informed us that items belonging to your missing sister remained in her dorm room, unclaimed. We understand the difficulty of this situation for you and your family, but the university housing department does not have the resources to deliver these items to you or your family, even if we had a specific forwarding address for either of you, which we currently don't.

The materials can be returned to the destination of your choice for a reduced student shipping discount. Details can be obtained through the Metropolis University Student Affairs Administrative Center translink:
musa.44.er44.mu.

We will retain these items in university storage for a period of four Earth weeks pending notification from you or a relative about what should be done with these items. If we have not heard from anyone within that time, due to storage space limitations, the materials will be relegated to a recycling process.

Best of luck to you, sir.

Andeera Gault
Director of Student Affairs; Off-world Residential Advisor
Metropolis University

Private Communique: Diary Tape 1
Posted: Jun 21, 2011 6:15 AM
Halasta 9, 3010

I have to leave Rimbor. Been no work for thirteen months. The factory's main source for export of telanyde was Earth sector. Humans First means off-worlders loose work.
Caught stealing food. Spent four months in jail. Beaten to within an inch of my life six times.
No hope of ever finding out the truth about my sister's death. I had no money to retrieve her belongings or contact my parents, so her things were destroyed.
Yesterday I was released from prison and given a deportation notice. Without money for transport, I will be placed on an indigent cargo ship headed for the asteroid mines in the beltway. A place where people like me are sent to work until we die.
But I don't want to die.
I want to live.
I want to live long enough to kill every human on the face of the planet Earth.

Alastor Aghini Faud

Private Diary Tape #2
Posted: Jun 28, 2011 4:29 PM
Elhena 13, 3011

Five months on the asteroid mines of the beltway. I can barely walk, but every day I have to wake up and run the sonic jack that mines the benzene that fuels the fuel that fuels the sub-light ships. All of us here, like a family of misfits and outcasts, all of us homeless, all of us hating something or someone… or maybe just hating ourselves.
My sister died. My parents remain indigent and unable to contact me. I came to the stars to find fame and fortune. All I have found is sadness and heartache.
I am fourteen hundred credits shy of buying out my contract. It will take me four more months. I will have just enough left for a sub-light transport to take me to the Winathian Transport Hub. If I can scheme, steal or buy my way on to a sunlight transport to Earth that has Threshold Access rights, I can be there within a year.
And then I can look at the humans who took my sisters life. I will look for the one who has the guiltiest eyes -- or the angriest eyes -- either one -- and I will walk up to that human.
And I will kill them.
And then I can finally die at peace with my sister's life avenged.

Alastor Aghini Faud

Personal Diary Tape 3
Posted: Jul 4, 2011 5:48 PM
Bestheda 29, 3011

Banked the last credits i needed to buy out my contract today. I bribed a loader to let me sneak on to the cargo hold of a sunlight transport leaving drydock tomorrow. I am one step closer to leaving this place. I am one step closer to reaching Earth.

Four months ago, I thought I could be content exacting revenge for my sister's death by simply killing one random human, as senseless and useless a loss as that of dear Maryessa. I thought that ironic justice, but also, admittedly, an act I might be able to accomplish, given my meager means and experience in the art of both interstellar transport and murder. But the more I thought about such an action, the less I considered it sufficiently addressed my sister's callous murder.

Making one pay does not serve to balance the scales for the pain I have endured. It does nothing to make all the other xenophobic savages of their world understand the darkness they have spread across the galaxy. No, the only way to balance these scales for the death of one so pure of soul is if all those blackened of soul pay for the crimes of their species.

I can not be content exacting revenge on one human, I must exact revenge on them all.

They will all pay.

Tomorrow, I am leaving this place. And I am one step closer to reaching Earth.

Alastor Aghini Faud

Private Diary Tape #4
Posted: Jul 14, 2011 1:01 PM
Yallgha 31, 3011

After three months cramped into a sublight transport ship's cargo hold, the luxurious cruise ship Jhunda finally docked at the Winathian Transport Hub last night. I have spent most of the day looking for work so that I can begin saving enough credits to purchase passage on a transport to Earth sector. It could take me months, but my hatred has grown a patience of its very own.

I failed in my attempts to secure a job, but more importantly, I met someone during my walkabout who could become very useful to me. His name is Jek Thath. He is a Rimboran who was recently fired from his LoadLifter job and was working a kono juice bar at the Transport Hub. Like all bartenders, he meets a lot of people, and he told me about someone living at the Transport Hub.

Someone named Oluss Carn. A bit of a recluse who is apparently addicted to stims. A disavowed geneticist who lost work as the Med-Tech on a passing ship and was stranded here. Psions are a race which I've heard nothing but sordid tales about. And apparently, the Med-Tech corporation he had worked for was of Terran origin.

A Psion and a geneticist who might have a grudge against humans. This is someone I would like to meet…

Alastor Aghini Faud

[ August 18, 2011, 11:04 AM: Message edited by: Set ]

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
Reactions to the preview:
- Great art! I'm excited by it!
- I'm glad that there is a real storyline that focuses on the characters rather than just "teen heroes." About the specifics, I'll reserve judgement on how he pulls it off.
- WHY THE &#*%@& does WILDFIRE have a face?!?! What's that about?? I'm nervous...

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
I *REALLY* like Tyroc's new look!
From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm going imagine that whatever they're doing with Wildfire, it's going to help him overcome the fact that they're not going to have access to an endless supply of containment suits. (but no Red Tornado's body nonsense!)
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:

It's totally cool that a writer would do something like this (sowing seeds on a message board to gin up some excitement for the upcoming series), and a darn shame that it kinda fell flat.

That *is* a cool idea!
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
BAH!!! I've been doing that for YEARS!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken Arromdee
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Arromdee   Email Ken Arromdee         Edit/Delete Post     
Given the premise of this, it seems even less logical to leave Infectious Lass out (remember she's in the present already). Heck, if the Legion is publicly blamed, she should probably hear about the Legion on the evening news and go see if she could help.
Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Ken Arromdee:
Given the premise of this, it seems even less logical to leave Infectious Lass out (remember she's in the present already).

How do you know that? The DCU's been rebooted back and forth in the middle of all of this, remember.

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH:
BAH!!! I've been doing that for YEARS!

"Sowing the seeds of love..."
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
Love the art.
sigh

Maybe, the artist was a fan of the recent dotREBELS series where Wildstar was created.
She became an energy being like Wildfire, with energy wings and powers like Dawnstar.
She also retained an energy 'face', much like the Wildfire face we see in those panels.
I just know that I like the idea.

The Alastor entries are super interesting.
We couldn't get that kind of background in the series proper due to the lack of space, although content like that was seen in the TMK years.

I read on a Q&A site, when a fan mentioned her, that Fabian hadn't realized that Drura was already in the 21st century.
He seemed intrigued by the possibility, I thought.

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken Arromdee
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Arromdee   Email Ken Arromdee         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Reboot:
How do you know that? The DCU's been rebooted back and forth in the middle of all of this, remember.

If you look at it from a strictly real world point of view, Infectious Lass should be around because she's a character that the Legion editors/writers have editorial control over, unlike someone like Superman or the Green Lantern Corps who are controlled by others and are used in the Legion only on sufferance.
Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Korbal
The Lightning World

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Korbal   Email Korbal         Edit/Delete Post     
Here's another interview from Newsarama:
http://www.newsarama.com/comics/dcnu-take-2-legion-lost-110819.html

--------------------
"I am the LEGION--you colossal Jerk!"--Garth Ranzz LEGION #63

Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.