Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » The Legion vs. The Appelaxians

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Legion vs. The Appelaxians
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
It's one story that I'm surprised we've never seen.

How would it go?

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
Do you mean the Appelaxians who brought the JLA together and then were the featured villains in my favorite comic book of all time Justice League of America #200?

It's weird that they've had so few appearances at all, let alone against the Legion.

If they hadn't all been from the same planet, Kalar, some of them could have been early representatives of various Legion races. The Stone God could have been a Dryadian for example. And the Wood King a Tree Man of Arbo (spelling?) maybe?

I'm not sure how well these creatures would do against the Legion anyway since the whole lesson of pretty much all of their stories is that they can't be taken down individually, but through teamwork they can be overcome. The JLA found that out the hard way but I'm not sure the Legion needs that lesson.

A storyline featuring the Legion that mirrored JLA #200 would be super fun to read about though! All of the early Adventure members kinda mind controlled leaving it up to all the later members to stop them in a battle royale. That would be a much better Legion vs Legion story than the crappy one WaK gave us in the Threeboot.

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

quote:
Originally posted by Blacula:
Do you mean the Appelaxians who brought the JLA together and then were the featured villains in my favorite comic book of all time Justice League of America #200?

That's the ones!

There's the Wood King, Stone God, Fire Giant, Crystal Creature, Mercury Monster, Glass Man, and Golden Roc!

Maybe some of the races could have eventually migrated off Kalar and settled on Arbro or Dryad?

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anita Cocktail
*hic*

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Anita Cocktail   Author's Homepage   Email Anita Cocktail         Edit/Delete Post     
Oh my. These Appelaxians sound fascinating!
What did they look like?

From: Gorilla Nebula Pub | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Jeepers! They're apparently so obscure, I can't find any pictures online!

I remember reading a groovy theory somewhere that other alien races regularly plundered planets that had been devastated by Appelaxian wars of succession, thus explaining the sudden onslaught of alien invasions of Earth in the Silver Age.

Anita Cocktail
*hic*

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Anita Cocktail   Author's Homepage   Email Anita Cocktail         Edit/Delete Post     
I found some on Google Images.
It seems that these fearsome aliens have appeared more than once!

From: Gorilla Nebula Pub | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

I find it amusing that Google thinks I mean "Appalachian" when I type in "Appelaxian"!
Anita Cocktail
*hic*

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Anita Cocktail   Author's Homepage   Email Anita Cocktail         Edit/Delete Post     
Ha! It asked me the same thing!!
Eryk Davis Ester

"Pa! We been feudin' with them Fire Giants pert' near forty generations now!"
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
Well, Jan did kind of look like a futuristic mountain man during part of 5YG...

[Hmmm?]

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Legion Tracker Legion Tracker has just turned 62
Veteran

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Legion Tracker           Edit/Delete Post     
Hey now! I've always thought I was Appalachian. Maybe I'm really Appelaxian.

--------------------
"Been killed--didn't like it." (Duplicate Damsel, Legion of Super-Heroes #10)

From: Groga | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anita Cocktail
*hic*

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Anita Cocktail   Author's Homepage   Email Anita Cocktail         Edit/Delete Post     
Apple Actions.
Ha! Ha!
See what I did there?

Blacula
Easy

In case anyone is still looking for images of the Appelaxians, many pages from JLofA #200 (Blacula's vote for best comic of all time) are reproduced in this blog post from the excellent Aquaman Shrine blog -

http://www.aquamanshrine.com/2011/12/justice-league-of-america-200-30th.html

And just look at those beautiful pages (sadly, not scanned as clearly as they could be though). What an artistic line-up! Perez! Broderick! Aparo! Giordano! Kane! Infantino! Bolland! Kubert! Just the best of the best.

I've long thought that DC should re-print this comic by the thousands and hand it out free to everyone who walks into a comic shop. There's no better way of making potential fans aware of the wonders of comic book story-telling while at the same time getting them interested in their top characters.

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

P.S. My one gripe about this issue - no Hawkgirl (or was she Hawkwoman by this point?) and not even any explanation for her absence!

Apparently she was missing in space as per the Hawks storyline then ongoing in World's Finest, but she should have at least got a mention or a minor appearance somewhere like JLA supporting characters Snapper Carr, Adam Strange and others did.

And that wonderful double-page Perez spread of the whole team rushing into battle would have looked so much better with all 16 members in it!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.