Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » LEGION: SECRET ORIGIN #5 (Preview/Reviews) (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: LEGION: SECRET ORIGIN #5 (Preview/Reviews)
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hackett           Edit/Delete Post     
http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/2012/02/23/exclusive-preview-of-legion-secret-origin-5/

Now we're getting somewhere. All the chess references fit in with Levitz previous use of the Time Trapper. Seems the logical first villain.

From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KryptonKid
Khyddae Kryptoneum

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KryptonKid   Author's Homepage   Email KryptonKid         Edit/Delete Post     
Yeeeeah! I really like where Levitz is taking this. If the Time Trapper is the one trying to assassinate Brande, then he has been awfully pedestrian about it, even in this early stage of his development. So far his machinations have been less a chess game and more dodge ball. Why not attack the founders in the time stream? Honestly, at this point I doubt that Brande is essential to the Legion's survival. It seems to be thriving on its own now.

--------------------
~Integritas~

From: Bgtzl Proper | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

quote:
Originally posted by KryptonKid:
Yeeeeah! I really like where Levitz is taking this. If the Time Trapper is the one trying to assassinate Brande, then he has been awfully pedestrian about it, even in this early stage of his development. So far his machinations have been less a chess game and more dodge ball. Why not attack the founders in the time stream? Honestly, at this point I doubt that Brande is essential to the Legion's survival. It seems to be thriving on its own now.

I think the Legion is in a dangerous position as it is relying solely on Brande and hasn't yet made its way into the UP's good graces (we don't know about the public). If Brande and his backing were pulled, the UP would have no reason to keep the Legion going.
From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaim Mattis Keller
Legion-Reference-File Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chaim Mattis Keller   Email Chaim Mattis Keller         Edit/Delete Post     
The Time Trapper does seem to be the obvious answer here, doesn't he? I wonder if Levitz will pull a switcheroo and say Mordru or someone else.

I did like the unexpected-ness of the founders being unable to make contact with Superboy this time. I wouldn't have minded, though, if Levitz had stuck more faithfully to order of joining in old continuity and had Star Boy, rather than Ultra Boy, as the Superboy-substitute figure. The only real difference would have been Phantom Girl's "he looks cute" line. (Though I do like how Triplicate Girl responded there that "he's no Superman, though.")

--------------------
Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@nyc.rr.com

From: New York, NY, USA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
googoomuck
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for googoomuck   Author's Homepage   Email googoomuck         Edit/Delete Post     
Is it just me or am I picking up a Vorlon vibe for the Time Trapper?

--------------------
Play Stratego online at http://www.metaforge.net/webstratego/

From: Minneapolis Minnesota | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Read it and thought it was good. After a great start I felt the mini drug a bit in the middle, but things definitely picked up this issue and it was great to see the group in action and a more Legion-centric book (whereas they are mostly observed in prior issues). I wish we had gotten to this point earlier in the series.
gone
gone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gone   Author's Homepage   Email gone         Edit/Delete Post     
*poof*

[ March 29, 2012, 02:56 PM: Message edited by: gone ]

From: gone | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaim Mattis Keller

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chaim Mattis Keller   Email Chaim Mattis Keller         Edit/Delete Post     
gone:

quote:
And (although it is a completely moot point) why would Phantom Girl's line have had to be different? She wasn't dating anyone that we know of at the time.... Is she not allowed to find any other males attractive until she finds the love-of-her-life?
Only because it wouldn't have had the "foreshadowing" effect that it does with Ultra Boy. Lines like that aren't story-important, they're winks of the eye for the fans.

(Although if I recall my ADV # 326 properly, Tinya actually could have said it about Star Boy and it would be a little foreshadowing - but way, way too obscure for all but the most dedicated fans to pick up on.)

--------------------
Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@nyc.rr.com

From: New York, NY, USA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Korbal
The Lightning World

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Korbal   Email Korbal         Edit/Delete Post     
Why was the Admiral so surprised by his son's presence? Did he think the Legion recruited a youth from Zar or a survivor from Klorra? Still wondering where the Doyle character fits in the picture--he was the original catalyst for the Legion's formation and with Paul's reverence towards Legion history, his absence seems odd...

--------------------
"I am the LEGION--you colossal Jerk!"--Garth Ranzz LEGION #63

Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver Age Lad
Part-time member living in another century

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silver Age Lad   Email Silver Age Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Korbal:
Still wondering where the Doyle character fits in the picture--he was the original catalyst for the Legion's formation and with Paul's reverence towards Legion history, his absence seems odd...

Doyle was a 5YL retcon - along with Brande being from the 20th century - so PL is right to omit reference to the character

--------------------
"Our devotion to each other was unexplainable"
"You were kids"
"No Batman, we were Legion"

From: Ancient Kingdom of Northumbria, UK | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Um, no. Brande's "cousin Doyle" who stands to inherit his fortune upon his death and whose gambling debts provoke a mob boss to hire hit men to assassinate Brande goes back to at least Superboy #147.

The character does become increasingly awkward in light of later retcons, as he has to become another Durlan trapped in human form after Secrets of the Legion, and then can't really be Brande's cousin any more after Brande is retconned to be from the 20th century 5YL.

It wouldn't surprise me, though, if PL simply deleted him from continuity, as he's a pretty minor figure.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver Age Lad
Part-time member living in another century

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silver Age Lad   Email Silver Age Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
sorry my mistake. It was the Durlan character Theg that came in with 5YL

--------------------
"Our devotion to each other was unexplainable"
"You were kids"
"No Batman, we were Legion"

From: Ancient Kingdom of Northumbria, UK | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Korbal
The Lightning World

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Korbal   Email Korbal         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
Um, no. Brande's "cousin Doyle" who stands to inherit his fortune upon his death and whose gambling debts provoke a mob boss to hire hit men to assassinate Brande goes back to at least Superboy #147.

The character does become increasingly awkward in light of later retcons, as he has to become another Durlan trapped in human form after Secrets of the Legion, and then can't really be Brande's cousin any more after Brande is retconned to be from the 20th century 5YL.

It wouldn't surprise me, though, if PL simply deleted him from continuity, as he's a pretty minor figure.

quote:
Originally posted by Silver Age Lad:
sorry my mistake. It was the Durlan character Theg that came in with 5YL

Theg was Zhay Daggle's cousin and thus was not a blood relation to (the then time-displaced) R.J. When they left Durla with Yorrigan Fever, he assumed the form of Doyle Brande. Thus they are the same character.
Roderick Doyle was in the Reboot and was not a Durlan but a complicit pawn of the White Triangle.

[ March 03, 2012, 10:29 PM: Message edited by: Korbal ]

--------------------
"I am the LEGION--you colossal Jerk!"--Garth Ranzz LEGION #63

Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anita Cocktail
*hic*

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anita Cocktail   Author's Homepage   Email Anita Cocktail         Edit/Delete Post     
Garth's butt lookin' good this issue.*hic*
From: Gorilla Nebula Pub | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
[Roll Eyes]
(I always hated the [Roll Eyes] in students, but sometimes it's hard to resist the urge. [Frown] )

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.