Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » The Taines

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Taines
MYG
Once a Legionnaire...always a Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MYG   Email MYG         Edit/Delete Post     
At what point to Luornu stop using her married name of Taine? Are Luornu and Chuck still married or did something (off panel) happen still to be revealed? It seems they're still a couple, but who knows anymore? I know that Rokk and Lydda seemed to have reconciled but their "break up story" still remains unrevealed as does Lar and Tasmia's!!!

--------------------
Long Live the Legion!!!

From: Sayreville, NJ | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
Wasn't there a "No More Marriages" edict for the DCnU?

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
Maybe Luornu is just highly independent and wishes to keep her maiden name?

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Didn't he ask her if she was coming to bed back in the recent Legion Academy arc?

Although she preferred to sit up and review applicants, that seems to imply marriage or a very close relationship.

Is Imra still Ranzz or has she reverted to Ardeen? It does seem strange to have women of the bright and shining future adopt their husband's name.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MYG

This is what I mean...Imra is a Ranzz and has been for decades (years). Chuck & Luornu (I assume) are still married. She's always been referred to as Lournu Durgo Taine and all of a sudden in this "new contiunity" (or whatever it is) she drops the Taine name. I can't believe that this is an oversight, not with Levitz at the helm. I'm sure there's a reason behind this.

--------------------
Long Live the Legion!!!

From: Sayreville, NJ | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EmeraldEmperor
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EmeraldEmperor           Edit/Delete Post     
It's time for an ongoing Legion Academy series....replacing Legion Lost.
From: Southern Oklahoma | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
Myg,

It may just be that Paul Levitz got the idea of a woman taking her husband's surname was something that would not happen in the 31st century. It seems the renewed focus on Duplicate Damsel, Mr. Levitz might have been thinking about the character a little bit more so than he or other writers have done in the past.

Even nowadays, many women don't change their last name for business reasons in business situations.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MYG

Yes, woman not taking their husband's surname in the 31st century WOULD make sense, but then why do we continue to see Saturn Girl referred to as Imra Ardeen Ranzz? There has to be a specific reason why Luornu is no longer referred to as Taine.

--------------------
Long Live the Legion!!!

lancesrealm
amiable

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lancesrealm   Email lancesrealm         Edit/Delete Post     
I suspect it is because people of different planets have different customs. I wonder if there are any planets where the male takes the female's name?
From: Cincinnati | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
At my church, we just held a meeting to support the ordination of a young man who is married to one of our former ministers. Both he and his wife have a hyphenated last name. Someone finally asked about it, and he said when they married they both chose to adopt each other's name.

So even on this planet and in this century, the customs they are a-changing!

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
The hyphenate last name is cool, but eventually it will get too cumbersome.

Smith & Jones marry and become Smith-Jones. They have a kid.

Baxter & Davis marry and become Baxter-Davis. They have a kid.

The two kids grow up, fall in love and marry. They become Smith-Jones-Baxter-Davis. They have a kid.

Well you can see where this is going.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
^ [LOL]

It doesn't even have to wait for children or grandchildren for the names to become cumbersome. I have a fairly long last name. If I married a woman with an equally long last name and one or both of us decided to hyphenate, our name would be a mouthful.

Years ago, I wrote a story that involved a culture in which couples created a new name by combining parts of their former names. Thus, Smith and Jones could become "Smones" and Baxter and Davis could become "Baxis". The children who marry then become "Smoxis".

The challenge, of course, would be to come up with names that sound natural.

In Legion terms, this could result in names such as Ardanzz and Taigo.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.