Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » The latest Legion issue you've read... (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: The latest Legion issue you've read...
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
For me... v4 #17 on my Kindle. Conclusion of the Khund War/Red Terror arc, which was a pretty weak storyline after the first awesome year of v4. Deaths of Power Boy and the Tornado Twins. Two pretty cool moments with Chuck Taine snapping Mysa out of her funk and helping her to prep a spell to defend against the Khunds, and with Vi/Laurel taking out Glorith with a chronal howitzer. Probably close to ten years since I read it last. The nice thing about re-collecting these v4 issues digitally is that I'm actually reading them in order with no gaps, whereas when I read them the first time I pretty much just picked up randomly from the back issue bin, and there's a at least a few issues that I never got.

Feel free to post about your most recent Legion read/re-read. Be as detailed or as brief as you like.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
The last new issue of a Legion series I read was the first issue of Levitz's relaunch.

The last issue I re-read was probably v.4 # 38, which I reviewed two years ago for this thread.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady Fanfic Lady has just turned 43
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
The Legion #24 - "After Dark: Spotlight on Umbra."

God, if only DnA had been more consistent and come out with more issues like this one! And if only Shadow Lass-by-any-other-name were this well-written more often! And...and if only Steve Lightle could produce 20-something pages plus cover on a monthly basis! If only, if only!

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
^^Agreed about that issue, Fickles. DnA were at their best when focusing on self-contained stories, with a smaller number of characters, and lots of world-building.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks, EDE.

My second favorite thing that DnA did was the 12-issue Legion Lost, which, as it happens, I'm about to start re-reading. I'll post about it here, issue by issue. [Smile]

--------------------

Eryk Davis Ester

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Looking forward to it!

The reason I started this thread is that while we get some discussion of the latest issue every month (though people hardly seem over-enthusiastic in talking about them these days), I was really curious to what extent people are still revisiting the "classics", whether or not they are keeping up with the current Legion or not.

I figure most people aren't going to want to start a thread saying "Hey, I just read Adventure #342 for the thirteenth time!", but this thread might encourage people to post about what Legion books they are reading.

Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
Legends of the Legion 2, the issue focusing on Spark. [Spark]

And

LSH v4 Annual 6, which included the origins of XS, Leviathan and Kinetix.

[XS] [Leviathan] [Kinetix]

I realize now that one reason I really loved the Postboot Legion was because I grew up with them, so to speak - they were being published while I was a preteen/teen, after all.

From Spark's drive to be "the good kid", to XS' uncertainty and struggle to be courageous, to Leviathan's shattered view of the Science Police, to Kinetix's desire to be useful... I could relate to every single one.

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Legionnaires #2

The SW6 Legion infiltrates a terrorist gang, led by Mano, on New Earth. Mano gets the upper hand in the encounter, but more Legionnaires arrive to save the day and Mano is carted off to SP Chief Sean Erin.

Something strange is in the sewer tunnels....Leland McCauley steals The Persuader's axe... Saturn Girl flirts with Cosmic Boy, which angers Live Wire...and Legion Tryouts! X-Bomb Betty, Plaid Lad and the unfortunate Cera Kesh, whose pudgy body makes her the target of insults from some Legionnaires and members of the public. The Emerald Eye, however, finds her particularly interesting.

I reread this issue for Cera Kesh's story and was surprised at how much else was going on. The Fatal Five is regrouping. There was a lot of character interaction; the Legionnaires seemed more like a newly-formed team getting to know one another than a team that had been put into hibernation by the Dominators. (I guess at the time we didn't know that they were supposed to have been the original Legion team.) The tryouts were a nice homage to the Adventure-era rejections. Brainy wasn't a jerk. Inferno was.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
^^Love that era!
Future
The Present is Past

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Future           Edit/Delete Post     
Seconded. Love the SW6 era and how much was going on in those books between the character moments and the subplots that developed.

I was actually re-reading the recent 'Superman and the Legion of Super-Heroes' arc from Action Comics a few years back. Whether this team fizzled or not for people with 3 Worlds and the sixth Legion volume, I felt the "retroboot" had a terrific start with this story arc! Lots of homages to the past, great moments for traditionally minor Legionnaires, and at the end of the day it was still a strong Superman story for the regular Supes reader.

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
They did have a lot of nice drama going on during that era. Ferro and Tenzil catching Computo dressing up and her thinking, "Why do boys always stare..." SW6 Tenzil was a fave. So were the strong-willed women on the team like Andromeda, Apparition, Gossamer...

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Now my heart is full

Okay, here we go...

LEGION LOST #1 OF 12

A masterful set-up issue, kicking off with a generous helping of action as Shikari flees the Progeny and finds the remains of the Legion Outpost. The exposition which follows is refreshingly brisk, especially considering that many people reading this story for the first time are likely unfamiliar with the earliest DnA Legion stories which immediately preceded it (I still haven't read them myself.) And the splash-page cliffhanger of the Progeny mothership is magnificent.

--------------------

Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
oh man ... I loved these ... Can't wait to read the rest of your reviews! squeeeee!!!

Legion of the Damned is quite good F.L. you may want to pick em up ... They brought me back to the Legion after many many years. They also made me fans on this new (new to me) Legion.

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:
Legionnaires #2

The SW6 Legion infiltrates a terrorist gang, led by Mano, on New Earth. Mano gets the upper hand in the encounter, but more Legionnaires arrive to save the day and Mano is carted off to SP Chief Sean Erin.

Something strange is in the sewer tunnels....Leland McCauley steals The Persuader's axe... Saturn Girl flirts with Cosmic Boy, which angers Live Wire...and Legion Tryouts! X-Bomb Betty, Plaid Lad and the unfortunate Cera Kesh, whose pudgy body makes her the target of insults from some Legionnaires and members of the public. The Emerald Eye, however, finds her particularly interesting.

I reread this issue for Cera Kesh's story and was surprised at how much else was going on. The Fatal Five is regrouping. There was a lot of character interaction; the Legionnaires seemed more like a newly-formed team getting to know one another than a team that had been put into hibernation by the Dominators. (I guess at the time we didn't know that they were supposed to have been the original Legion team.) The tryouts were a nice homage to the Adventure-era rejections. Brainy wasn't a jerk. Inferno was.

Loved these early Legionnaires issues too!
From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
A few weeks ago I reread the Dr. Landro / Meglaro story, as its one of my favorites. Two things stand out: the sheer amount of stuff going on, and the phenomenal glamorous John Forte art. Tenz plays a major part in the story, naturally, but I was reminded by how big of a star Dirk was throughout the first few years (and how he was clearly Garth's best friend).

Meglaro, with his crazy look, should have definitely returned!

And it's always interesting to recall spies being akin to terrorists even as late as 1962-63.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.