Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » The latest Legion issue you've read... (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: The latest Legion issue you've read...
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
The other one I read that really stuck out in my mind was "the Secret of the Seventh Super Hero" (Adv 290). I was surprised by not remembering that the Legion / Sun Boy are almost incidental in the story and that's it's really a superb story about Tom Tanner (and Superboy). Tom Tanner is a really great character and within 12 pages goes through a complete character change. He emerges with a hunger for learning and community, as well as knowing what it feels like to be loved an appreciated via living as Clark for a day.

I really wish he showed up again. (Or did he?)

A really charming Silver Age Superboy story that accomplishes its optimistic message quite well.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Not sure if Tom Tanner showed up again, but the story is apparently a rewritten version of "The Two Clark Kents!" from Adventure #191.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Hm! Either I never knew that or just plain forgot! I wonder who was in the Sun Boy role?
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
I have no idea, but I'm betting that whole side-plot is basically left out, since as you said its almost incidental to the story.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
[Confused]

I can't even remember, but it was the one that came out at least six months ago.

[No]

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hackett           Edit/Delete Post     
"The Untold Legend of Arm-Fall-Off Boy" from Legion of Super-Heroes in the 31st Century #16.

Every few months my daughter makes me take this one out and read it to her, and man, am I glad when she does. She. her brother, her sister and I all laugh ourselves silly. I can practically hear my wife rolling her eyes from the other room.

The book is truly one of the best written comedic gems in all of Legiondom, right from the get go at Floyd's birth, up through the last page when the flight ring stops working. And the use of Starfinger as the villain was a stroke of genius (love the scene in Starfinger's "lair").

The Shawn McManus art is great and he really captures both the comedic and sympathetic moments.

I was really disappointed we never got to see Floyd again before the book was cancelled.

From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
GREAT issue. I agree with every word. Terrific children's story. It's perfect. Uplifting. Clever. It should have won awards.
From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Power Boy:
oh man ... I loved these ... Can't wait to read the rest of your reviews! squeeeee!!!

Legion of the Damned is quite good F.L. you may want to pick em up ... They brought me back to the Legion after many many years. They also made me fans on this new (new to me) Legion.

Thank you, Peebs, for the kind words and for the recommendation.

LEGION LOST #2 of 12

It's awesome to see the Legionnaires stand up to bastards like the Progeny and come out on top, even if they've won only the battle and not yet the war. What's not so awesome, in my humble opinion, is this issue's focus on Monstress (each issue is from the point of view of a different character.) Not being familiar with her pre-Legion Lost appearances, I don't know whether previous writers tried quite as hard to make her loveable as DnA seem to be doing here. Given her ultimate fate several issues later, it's understandable that the writers would want us to like her, but I just feel like they're trying too hard and it's leaving me cold. I'd be interested to know what other people think about this.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
Agree with Power Boy's reco on Leigon of the Damned (suggest you also pick up Legionnaires 78) and the Widening Rifts storyline that followed immediately after [Smile]

Given how Monstress was portrayed as almost sickeningly sweet before DNA took over, her protrayal under them was a welcome change IMO. I'd say her origin showed why she was so sweet - perhaps as a way of protecting herself from the hurt? Or perhaps I liked her more because she remained sweet despite her sad past. In any case, Legion Lost made me a fan of not only her, but several other Legionnaires I found lackluster before they took over - Brainiac 5, Chameleon, Umbra, Kid Quantum.

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Legionnaires 48-50, the conclusion of the Emerald Violet/Mordru plot.

Definitely one of the better storylines of the Postboot Legion. The Legion loses horribly against Mordru on Sklar, causing the planet's destruction and the sidelining of Element Lad, who is transformed into crystal.

RJ Brande sends out a call for super-powered beings to assault Mordru. Backed by allies and the UP Fleet, the Legion tracks Mordru only to find that he had caught up with Violet and the Emerald Eye and is trying to take control of them. The Eye/Violet stall him by merging into one and offering themselves in marriage.

After getting thrashed, the Legionnaires finally succeed in separating Violet from the Eye. Just when they rally though, it seems Mordru has killed them all...

Only for us to realize a couple of pages later that the Legionnaires only tricked Mordru into thinking so, and have successfully trapped him again without his knowledge. The Legion returns home to deal with their losses.

Pros:

The plotting and pacing are tight enough that I didn't even notice some of the absurdities until now (wait, big power-hungry Mordru actually took the time to "negotiate" with Eye/Violet instead of just dominanting them? Guess the low-cut, frilly dress worked wonders here, and even ancient wizards heed the call of the flesh). In hindsight though, having Vi and the Eye merge was a brilliant plot device as it allowed the writers to use the rest of the Legionnaires in battle vs. Mordru, while Mysa's team freed Violet. We'd have missed out on a great battle if not.

The writers managed to let nearly two dozen characters shine. All the task force members (including non-Legionnaires) got something to do, and almost each one contributed to Mordru's defeat. Even supporting characters like RJ Brande and Admiral Everett played their parts.

The story managed to throw in a lot of character growth during the battle as well - Umbra showing some compassion, Invisible Kid presiding over a genius battle plan, Andromeda slowly winning over her xenophobia, Sensor successfully encouraging Violet, Kinetix no longer wanting to use the Eye for herself, Live Wire learning some restraint.

Cons:

Element Lad's transmutation would lead him to become "spacy" and distracted, not a welcome change. Pacifist Jan I find interesting, spacy and vague Jan not at all.

I remember a fan writing in to complain that, besides Magno, all the big casualties of the battle were non-Legionnaires. That's true, and I found it harder to mourn for people like Atom'x, Blast-Off, Dragonmage and Radion. So Radion loses part of his face? I feel bad for a couple of seconds and move on, since we hardly ever saw him again.

Also controversial at the time was the induction of Monstress, who IMO did not contribute as much to the battle, nor had powers as interesting as, Mysa or Kid Quantum II (and a recent poll I ran here shows these two as far more "deserving" of membership!).

As a Kinetix fan, I do wish they'd explored her growth a bit more. Although it's telling that she whole-heartedly tried to convince Violet to turn away from the Eye, whereas before she'd have been tempted to use it herself.

--------------------

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Will add Legionnaires 78 to my list. Thank you, IB.

I think her origin was well done, but otherwise I felt like...I'm not sure, like DnA were overselling her to the readers. At the same time, I confess I feel almost guilty for not warming up to her given the horrific tragedy that's just around the corner for her.

--------------------

Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

LEGION LOST #3 of 12

As with the previous issue, there's a lot to like here. I love the Kwai, and was really happy that DnA let them escape the Progeny instead of going the melodramatic cliche route. That they escape thanks to the Legion's competent job protecting them makes it even sweeter.

And again, as with the previous issue, there's a focus on a character that I find somehow lacking, in this case Kid Quantum. I think she's kind of bland, not very well defined, and just...there.

The return of Drake and the stinger at the end with the mysterious pyramid are icing on the cake.

--------------------

Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

LEGION LOST #4 of 12

This issue gives the characters a chance to catch their breath and the writers a chance to focus on the characters. For all their reputation for action over characterization, which comes mainly from their later, lesser Legion work, DnA prove here that they actually could give the Legionnaires individual voices and sharp character moments, stressing the importance of teamwork and unity.

--------------------

Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Did Legion Lost 4 give you a better impression of Monstress and Kid Quantum II, FL?

--------------------

Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Fanfic Lady:
[QUOTE]

LEGION LOST #2 of 12

It's awesome to see the Legionnaires stand up to bastards like the Progeny and come out on top, even if they've won only the battle and not yet the war. What's not so awesome, in my humble opinion, is this issue's focus on Monstress (each issue is from the point of view of a different character.) Not being familiar with her pre-Legion Lost appearances, I don't know whether previous writers tried quite as hard to make her loveable as DnA seem to be doing here. Given her ultimate fate several issues later, it's understandable that the writers would want us to like her, but I just feel like they're trying too hard and it's leaving me cold. I'd be interested to know what other people think about this.

It was nice to see the Legion outside of their huge political universe and in a position to get back to Legion-ing. I thought it was convenient and clever of DNA to deconstruct their galaxy and then leap ahead by taking this cast out of the context. When we jumped back, things had been cleaned up haha.

I wasn't aware of Monstress' fate going into this the first time around ... and this was the first time I got to know the vapid She-Hulk knock off. I liked her, especially after 12 issues Click Here For A Spoiler of her being the rock of the Legion Lost crew, everybody's best friend and voice of sanity .. . I was bummed and well manipulated. haha

Umbra also comes alive during Legion Lost.

Legion of the Damned was nothing short of heroic, especially the portrayals of Saturn Girl, X-S, Cham and others .... Unfortunately the issues created in Legion of Damned are the foundation of what the characters are dealing with and growing from in Legion Lost.

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.