Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » The latest Legion issue you've read... (Page 4)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: The latest Legion issue you've read...
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
I loved Legion Worlds. I'm sure I have my original issues but I think this would be nice to have.
From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry:
The awesome Legion Worlds mini that followed Legion Lost is being released as a trade in February 2013.

Wonderful news! I especially liked the Xanthu issue (Legion Worlds 4); DNA did a good job balancing the bleakness of the invasion with little bits of hope (Insect Queen being OK, XS' compassion, and Star Boy's horrible jokes and his and Dreamer's love).

quote:
Originally posted by Fanfic Lady:
[QBLEGION LOST #5 of 12

One of the high points of the maxi-series, and of DnA's entire run. The battle against the towering Omniphagos is among the best in Legion history, in my opinion. And DnA's warts-and-all take on Brainy is just right. For a character so frequently overexposed, he's awfully hard to write.[/QB]

Agree 100% - DNA made Brainy smug and opinionated, but still very likable.

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
IMO, Legion Worlds was DnA's best work.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm actually a bit ambivalent toward Legion Worlds. I vastly prefer it to the following Legion series of course but I still found it somewhat of a let-down after Legion Lost.

Things I remember liking about it -

* Magno's spotlight and character growth
* Zoe's spot-on characterization (ironic considering what they did to her later on)
* Tharok's upgrade
* The whole Mon-el issue in general
* The Xanthu issue and getting to see the Uncanny Amazers shine (love that team)

Things I remember not loving about it -

* I actually don't remember a single thing about the Spark issue so I guess that one wasn't so memorable
* I found the Karate Kid/Ferro issue a bit boring
* Even though it's normally the type of thing I love, for some reason I didn't like Cosmic Boy, Vi, Chuck and their secret team
* Didn't "Think fast" begin in this series? Ugh!

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

The Spark issue was one of the weaker ones, in my opinion. My favorites are still 1 (M'Onel issue, with Triad backup and the most well-written Kinetix in a while) and 4 (Star Boy, XS, Dreamer and the Amazers).

One thing I didn't like about Worlds and Lost were the number of threads they set up that DNA wasn't able to juggle in the ongoing series:

- Cub; nothing against Tinya and Jo becoming parents but this just wasn't done well, nor did they make Cub endearing. And what the heck was up with his rapid aging and powers? I didn't like it when they did that to Ms. Marvel or Power Girl...
- The Brin-Tinya-Jo-Imra "love square". it golt old after a while, and Tinya and Jo never really ironed out their differences (though Imra and Jo did!)
- Cosmic Boy promising to return to Dyrk Magz and let him know what was up
- Ferro's injury ended with him being unable to turn to flesh and blood, period. His feelings about that were explored in one page, period
- Dreamer's vision of Star Boy's grave
- Mekt's feelings about Garth and Ayla

Many of these, like Ferro and Mekt and Dreamer's vision, wouldn't really be touched upon again until issue 19 or beyond of the ongoing. Though to be fair, a lot of other plot threads were resolved earlier than that (Gates' disappearance, missing people from Carggg, Warworld, Robotica).

--------------------

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Blacula:

* Zoe's spot-on characterization (ironic considering what they did to her later on)
* Tharok's upgrade
* The whole Mon-el issue in general
* The Xanthu issue and getting to see the Uncanny Amazers shine (love that team)

yes, yes, yes, yes !

I loved Zoe as the plucky Science Police officer! and then ... mute She-Hulk .... weird.

also, Dream Girl FINALLY finally (finally) being H.B.I.C. (of the Khunds).

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
The opening scene with M'Onel and Tharok? Chills!

It took me a few readings to start liking the Spark story but now it's one of my favorites. particularly the ending.

Ferro and KK. I guess because my first issue I remember was their joining (the originals), I've been too harsh on this story. It always bothered me they were taken down by a fly by night character. It was a pretty issue though and introduced a new culture, something I really like in a story.

From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Read the Cosmic Boy mini-series, after picking it up digitally in a big Legends sale on Comixology last weekend.

Better than I remembered it being.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Read the Postboot Legion's 1st year: LSH 0, 62-72, Annual 6; Legionnaires 0, 19-29, Annual 2.

Now, this was some good stuff. The conclusion of the White Triangle stories really did make me cry - Apparition dies just as she and Ultra Boy finally declare they love each other. Andromeda apparently dies just as she finally redeems herself and helps beat the White Triangle - only for us to find she's still alive and willingly imprisoned.

The first year did a good job of building Legionnaires up to be likeable, realistic teenagers.

Lyle saves the day a lot (almost too much), but he has enough insecurities to make him sympathetic instead of cockily arrogant.

Imra can be hellishly bossy, but again also has deep-seated insecurities (and it's Garth who finally brings her mind back).

XS starts out cowardly, but slowly gains resolve.

Poor Kinetix wanted more power, and found out its price - but she was power-hungry only because she wanted to use it to help ourselves and make her feel better about herself.

Brainy's awfully arrogant and cold, but we find from Andromeda's introduction that he does have some sort of heart.

Even painfully shy Violet had hidden bravery, and the almost annoyingly heavy-handed and hot-tempred Leviathan ate some humble pie.

--------------------

Eryk Davis Ester

Read "The Quiet Darkness" this past week.

I actually kind of like the idea of the story, but I'm not big at all on the execution. Lobo is completely obnoxious. Aria, however, is a much more interesting character than I remembered her being.

Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
I never understood that story line.
From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the Hermit
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the Hermit   Author's Homepage   Email the Hermit         Edit/Delete Post     
The best thing about the Quiet Darkness was the portrayal of Darkseid. Rather than the typical megalomaniac super-villain we have an actual god whose intention is to evolve to an even higher state of being. Rather than to waste his time in a physical confrontation with inferior beings he simply invites them in to watch the proceedings (albeit with a stern warning not to interfere). Pretty sophisticated stuff, really.

--------------------
First comic books ever bought: A DC four-for-47-cents grab bag that included Adventure #331. Been addicted ever since.

From: Stuck in the Psychedelic Era | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Yeah, there's definitely a really interesting concept at play in Darkseid's motivations in that story, but parts of it just fall flat in their overall 90sness.
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Is there any chance that EDE might like to oversee a "LSH Book-Reading Club"-style thread? Like, you choose a different issue (or storyarc) we would all reread over a week (or two) and then report back with our reviews? Might be fun!!!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Also, it would definitely give me reason to go digging through my LSH collection... please consider it, EDE! It will also give me an excuse to use the "RETRO REVIEW" style more often!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.