Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » The latest Legion issue you've read... (Page 6)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: The latest Legion issue you've read...
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Fanfic Lady:
quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
I remember when I was a kid buying Avengers #200 on the assumption that it must be another groovy giant team titles anniversary issue!

Imagine my disappointment! [Wink]

Avengers #200: One of the worst, most egregiously offensive comics of all time.
Why's that? Don't think I ever read Avengers. Maybe when I was a kid but even then, I don't think so.
From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Roughly: Ms. Marvel is kidnapped to an alternate dimension, brainwashed, and impregnated, then upon return to the Avengers, she rapidly gives birth to a child that rapidly ages into a version of the guy who kidnapped her, whom she then "chooses" to rejoin in said dimension. And the Avengers basically just let all of this happen.

I think as a kid I was just bewildered by the whole thing.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Roughly: Ms. Marvel is kidnapped to an alternate dimension, brainwashed, and impregnated, then upon return to the Avengers, she rapidly gives birth to a child that rapidly ages into a version of the guy who kidnapped her, whom she then "chooses" to rejoin in said dimension. And the Avengers basically just let all of this happen.

Lol. I take it that was written when acid was popular.
From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
I'd only ever read scans of a few pages here and there, but it was enough to seriously offend me.

What a way to write a character out of a book. Ugh.

I remember in a later issue that Ms. Marvel called the Avengers out on it. Thank goodness.

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:

I never read it but didn't something extremely similar happen to Power Girl. I don't think she was brainwashed, tortured, and kidnapped from what i've read (on wikipedia) but the child did age rapidly and then fly off never to be spoken of again?
From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
That last issue I've actually read was:

-

It is the only one I've got for quite some time, before the issue and after ... I died off even before the reboot.

I picked it up because it was Walt Simonsen and he is at his best here, some other recent books I've picked up because he drew them ... were not worth it. I'm thinking of some recent Thor and/or Avengers work that seemed way too messy.

But in this one, the art is good at backgrounds and head shots.

I also liked how the story touched on most characters, especially since many have been missing for a long time, and I also enjoyed how the characters sounded, and I think from the reviews on here the characters sounded more like themselves than any other current issue.

I wonder if this is the best issue in (say) the past 2 years?

I think I'll get it out and read it again.

btw I'm not crazy about the cover.

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Sadly, the "mystery pregnancy and/or rapid birth/advanced growth of child" trope has been done a LOT, and it has NEVER worked. It is a trope I personally despise. My advice to any writers contemplating using it:

DON'T.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
We're Legion fans. We KNOW that turning teenagers into babies makes for much better stories.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Oh, teens into babies? THAT trope isn't done ENOUGH! The LSH really would have fit in well on that SINS OF YOUTH Young Justice mega-crossover several years ago.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Leap Year Lord
Right now.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leap Year Lord           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Invisible Brainiac:
I remember in a later issue that Ms. Marvel called the Avengers out on it. Thank goodness.

Yes, at the end of the EPIC Avengers Annual 10, Carol excoriates the Avengers (poolside at the X-mansion!)

Everyone: if you do not have AA 10, buy or borrow a copy.

Click for fullsize image

Eryk Davis Ester

^^I have that annual as well, though honestly I most remember it for the debut of Rogue and the new Brotherhood of Evil Mutants than for Ms. Marvel's dressing down of the Avengers.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

I really want that Ten-Speed racer!
Eryk Davis Ester

quote:
Originally posted by lowercase mllash:
Sadly, the "mystery pregnancy and/or rapid birth/advanced growth of child" trope has been done a LOT, and it has NEVER worked.

Including in LSH with "Cub", though that was a somewhat lengthened pregnancy followed by a rapidly aging baby.
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by lowercase mllash:
Sadly, the "mystery pregnancy and/or rapid birth/advanced growth of child" trope has been done a LOT, and it has NEVER worked.

Including in LSH with "Cub", though that was a somewhat lengthened pregnancy followed by a rapidly aging baby.
followed by a dangling plot thread.
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

I STILL really want that Ten-Speed Racer!

Also, since I don't like Tony Stark or Captain America, That issue looks really good.

"Captain America totally defeated!"

also, I like that old look for Jessica Drew (Its somehow more sinister). For some reason she seems to kick ass on her own, and not so much as part of the current team. They had her dating Hawkeye (!?) ... also she's written like she dropped 10-20 years in maturity. Where is the scrappy detective? She should be leading that team.

[Big Grin]

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.