Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Return of the Levitz/Giffen team for LSH in 2013 (Page 4)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Return of the Levitz/Giffen team for LSH in 2013
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
If Tyroc got an upgrade in power and design, Jacques could equally benefit from some changes as Set describes.

A body breaking out of the soil makes me think of Mordru - and maybe some magic is preventing Tinya and Jacques from using their powers.

Tinya with short hair - I don't know....

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
razsolo
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for razsolo   Author's Homepage   Email razsolo         Edit/Delete Post     
+1 to making Jacques an awesome martial artist...Vi and Dreamy became kickass fighters to compensate for their non-combat-related powers so why not give Jacques the same treatment? (though Vi at least should be ridiculously dangerous purely based on her power, but that's another topic I guess..)

If there's one thing that has become really obvious looking at the other Legion reboots, this version of the team is the least efficient. The other Legion teams used their powers in ways that this team never does, and the Legionnaires with less flashy powers were generally way better fighters. Triad and Umbra would kick their counterparts' asses eight ways from Sunday...

--------------------
Read the alternate adventures of the Legion after Legion of Three Worlds!
postlo3w

Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:
A body breaking out of the soil makes me think of Mordru - and maybe some magic is preventing Tinya and Jacques from using their powers.

Jacques always forgets to use his powers, so this is hardly something new. Tinya, on the other hand, may be staying tangible deliberately, so that she can help rescue Visible Kid.

(A nice upgrade to *her* power might be the ability to phase someone else out of danger or through a barrier...)

quote:
Originally posted by razsolo: (though Vi at least should be ridiculously dangerous purely based on her power, but that's another topic I guess..)
Even a basic understanding of human(oid) anatomy should make her freakishly dangerous. Even using non-lethal tactics, such as zipping into someone's semicircular canal, in the inner ear, and expanding to push fluid against the entire interior, would make someone flail on the ground helplessly, as their body is utterly convinced that they are falling in every direction, at the same time.

Similarly, she could be-bop herself into the base of someone's spinal column, and expand to the size of a grain of rice, gently pushing aside nerve cells in the spinal cord and paralyzing her subject from the neck down. The effect would last only as long as she remains there, and she could leave at any time, without having inflicted any lasting effect other than a tingly sensation as feeling returns to the no-longer-paralyzed-person.

quote:
If there's one thing that has become really obvious looking at the other Legion reboots, this version of the team is the least efficient.
Agreed. And that's not a Legion thing, either, it's a comic-book thing.

The Silver Age was loaded with examples of something dire appearing to happen on the cover, and inside the pages of the comic, the heroes *did something clever* to trick villains into thinking they were winning.

The last time I remember that sort of thing was in the introduction of the League of Super-Assassins, where the Legion fooled them into thinking they'd succeeded in killing a bunch of Legionnaires, or in the second issue of the Wolfman/Perez Teen Titans, where Raven spun an illusion to allow the Ravager to believe that he'd fulfilled his contract on the Titans.

These days, the heroes just go in blasting and take it on the chin (and often need ever escalating degrees of power, to allow them to accomplish anything despite their utter lack of tactics), and anywhere from dozens of civilians to entire *universes* end up getting destroyed, while the 'heroes' pretty much let the villains dictate the terms of every encounter.

[ November 11, 2012, 03:28 AM: Message edited by: Set ]

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
I've always and still do prefer the "get creative with powers" over the power upgrade or get better with powers plots, though I guess it makes sense to get better with powers. Likewise I guess I would expect all the Legionnaires to have non-powered combat proficiencies above the norm, that they'd be consistently training their martial arts.

I would expect more of them to show artistic skills if for no other reason than to get "it" out of their system. They see some horrific stuff.

From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omni
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Omni   Email Omni         Edit/Delete Post     
i really don't like Griffin's style at all. but i'm hoping that the stories will get better with Levitz having a co-plotter again.

--------------------
read the adventures of the Reboot Legion!

http://www.legionworld.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=001232

From: dorchester, MA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mediocre Boy
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mediocre Boy   Email Mediocre Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
About the "hand on the cover" identity question, it could also be Darkseid, I suppose. Paul and Keith have made significant use of the character more than once in the past, after all.

In the alternative, maybe it's Blok. Just a couple of guesses for our consideration.

--------------------
Yeah, yeah, yeah. Okay, so the meek[s] shall inherit inherit the Earth, but what about the geeks? I still want Baffin Island--polar bears and all! :)

From: Brampton, Canada | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Quislet
Vote for Mighty Mog

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Quislet   Email Kid Quislet         Edit/Delete Post     
Giant hand = Mega-Mano!

I'd like to see Jacques have his multi-dimension powers come back again. Not only would he be able to be invisible by light, but he could sneak around by dropping in and out of dimensions. Lyle Norg also experienced this with his ghost girlfriend way back...

--------------------
"My dance card was getting fuller than a contestant's at a Jandan shurg-off." - Exnihil, The Lost Klordny

From: Frederick, MD | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
I don't know what to say about the Fatal Five being retconned as just making their first appearance. Honestly, I have to say I trust Paul with whatever comes.

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kcekada
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kcekada   Email kcekada         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Blockade Boy:
I've always and still do prefer the "get creative with powers" over the power upgrade or get better with powers plots, though I guess it makes sense to get better with powers.

Sometimes, a power upgrade is actually organic. For instance, Luornu may have always had the power to make multiples -- just wasn't aware of it. Perhaps, that's why she didn't die when her first triplet was killed.

I think it's high time some of the Legionnaires learned how to user their powers efficiently. Dream Girl having to take a nap?! Please, let's push those boundaries and let her use her powers while in combat, fer cryin' out loud.

And why should Jo need to use all of his ultra energy for one power at a time. Why not half- strength and half-invulnerability -- when necessary?

And can we please let Shady do more than block out light? I mean, those powers are mystical in origin, you'd think they'd be a bit more useful -- especially as an offense.

And by now, Lyda should be over the artifical light weakness. Surely, he genius of a father, could have conqurered that weakness by now!

Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
razsolo
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for razsolo   Author's Homepage   Email razsolo         Edit/Delete Post     
I personally would hate for the legionnaires to lose their unique limitations...it's what makes them so appealing to me, that they have quirky powers which can save the day but a lot of the time their cunning/intellect/resourcefulness is what REALLY saves the day.

Two of my favourite LSH moments are Brainy throwing the Infinite Man at the Time Trapper to deal with them both, and powerless Rokk's dinner with Mordru in an early 5YL issue.

I think removing their quirks makes them more generic and loses their charm....Night Girl without her weakness to light is just another strong woman...

--------------------
Read the alternate adventures of the Legion after Legion of Three Worlds!
postlo3w

Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver Age Lad
Part-time member living in another century

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silver Age Lad   Email Silver Age Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by razsolo:
I personally would hate for the legionnaires to lose their unique limitations...it's what makes them so appealing to me, that they have quirky powers which can save the day but a lot of the time their cunning/intellect/resourcefulness is what REALLY saves the day.

Two of my favourite LSH moments are Brainy throwing the Infinite Man at the Time Trapper to deal with them both, and powerless Rokk's dinner with Mordru in an early 5YL issue.

I think removing their quirks makes them more generic and loses their charm....Night Girl without her weakness to light is just another strong woman...

I agree up to a point. My problem at the moment is that Levitz is reducing Legionnaires power levels (such as Jan) or making the Legionnaires look inept. Most of the Legionnaires have been fighting bad-asses for years so for example Jan not turning oxygen to helium as routine before facing off seems a bit dumb to say the least.

And some of the restrictions on powers would have been got around by Legion technology. For example Lydda's trans-suit could block out light to make her powerful in any conditions as long as her trans-suit is intact

--------------------
"Our devotion to each other was unexplainable"
"You were kids"
"No Batman, we were Legion"

From: Ancient Kingdom of Northumbria, UK | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EmeraldEmperor
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EmeraldEmperor           Edit/Delete Post     
I think Levitz made great use of Element Lad and Chemical Kid in LSH #14. They were creative and inventive, and worked as a team.
From: Southern Oklahoma | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay Kay
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Kay   Email Jay Kay         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Set:
An invisible dude who never announced his presence on a team (except to his teammates), but remained invisible 24/7 could be super effective, as enemies would never think to look for him, and always be surprised when random things just 'went wrong' for them (thanks to invisible dude they don't know even exists unplugging their equipment or jamming their weapons or slamming a door in someone's face or tripping one of them or pushing one of his fellow heroes out of the way of one of their deadly attacks).

What they could also do is, to further work that angle, is have Jaques declared dead, which would make Jaques even less expected, because who would be prepared for a ghost?
From: Arizona | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Jay Kay:
What they could also do is, to further work that angle, is have Jaques declared dead, which would make Jaques even less expected, because who would be prepared for a ghost?

Ah, but [fanwank] would people fall for that again, after Lyle and Condo faked their deaths and formed the Secret Legion?[/fanwank]
Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
They sort of did that with postboot Jacques, as I recall, though he was a spy rather than a member of the Legion.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.