Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » AVENGERS: the best LSH book?

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: AVENGERS: the best LSH book?
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
I read Hickman's MarvelNOW book AVENGERS 1-2 last night, and it was some super-crazy space-opera full of sound, fury, space-nonsense, Mission Monitor Board icons and lots of super-heroes.

The *only* thing keeping it from being the best LSH book available currently is that it is not set in the future.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rokk steady
Magically Delicious

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rokk steady   Email rokk steady         Edit/Delete Post     
Haha, I like this perspective! In particular, I thought of the Mission Monitor Board when I saw the hero symbols in the Avengers book. I am so on board for the Hickman Avengers run, yeah.

--------------------
Why are you laughing at me? It's unkind, as well as puzzling!

From: City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
oh Lash ... I found both really really boring and tiiirrrred! [Frown]

Also, I didn't like the long talks between cap and tony ... explaining their characters and points of view ... as if we didn't know ... and then ... the whole story of getting a team together when ... there has been a team together is weird.

"Hello Spider Woman I know you are on the team now but how would you like to be on the team."

and then they said they have been facing bigger and bigger threats ... not really, for the past several years they have been facing ... EACH OTHER!

also, on a more critical note ... I didn't like the mixture of mythology and science ... it didn't play well to me, or make sense.

I got Manhattan Projects, an FF trade, and this by Hickman ... and Manhattan Projects is by FAR the best by Hickman. It is amazing.

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
I am happy to see Sunspot and Cannonball outside of the X verse. (or at all) and I am curious about the new big hitters ... Smasher, Hyperion, and Captain Universe but ... I predict we will just have one big action arc ... and then the book will meander or get reinvented again.

I wasn't wild about Captain Marvel's super butch look. I like butch but she looks like a skinny guy who just got out of prison.

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH:

The *only* thing keeping it from being the best LSH book available currently is that it is not set in the future.

I will probably get the next issue or two ... just hoping for some action ... and I have bought one LSH book during this boot so I guess I do agree with you!

[Smile]

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Peebs prefers little talk, and more action. Noted & Logged.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
I liked the first issue quite a bit, but found the second a bit of a momentum killer.

Currently, I'd say Hypernaturals is the best LSH book. [Wink]

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:

I find your ideas interesting and would like to subscribe to your newsletter [Smile]

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:

Yes!
Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

I'm trade-waiting HYPERNATURALS. So are you guys sure it's better than FLOUNDATIONS and (insert your own humourous yet derogative DNA-era LSH-arc title-spoof)???

--------------------

Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Sheesh! I'm certainly not one to hide my feelings about the things I didn't like in DnA's Legion run, especially towards the end (I still don't think I've read all of Floundations!), and I suppose it's not inconceivable that they could completely drop the ball at this point, but so far I like it better than almost anything they did with the Legion!
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

I see. What you're saying is, it's the end of Hickman's opening AVENGERS arc vs. the end of DNA's opening HYPERNATURALS arc for title of BEST LEGION COMIC!

WINNER TAKE ALL!

--------------------

Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Sheesh! I'm certainly not one to hide my feelings about the things I didn't like in DnA's Legion run, especially towards the end (I still don't think I've read all of Floundations!),...

I'm still convinced Foundations from #26-on was all Wacker's doing. They just suddenly drop SO MUCH they were setting up in #25, like the Cadets, and the Legion Worlds danglers relating to Braal (mentioned in #25) and Valor that had hiterto fed their run (wouldn't the Superboy-cult plot work SO MUCH BETTER with M'Onel/Valor?) - hell, even Cub is barely mentioned!

quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH:
I see. What you're saying is, it's the end of Hickman's opening AVENGERS arc vs. the end of DNA's opening HYPERNATURALS arc for title of BEST LEGION COMIC!

Do we have to consider X-Men Legacy if you're framing it in those terms? [Razz]

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay Kay
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Kay   Email Jay Kay         Edit/Delete Post     
The first issue was pretty awesome, second...honestly kinda floundered.

I mean, the origin of all the "villains" of the piece was pretty fascinating, but the stuff in the Avengers literally moved nowhere from the issue before. The end of the first issue made it look like this issue would have these new Avengers getting to Mars to whoop some ass, but what do they do in the second issue? Stand around talking as they were building a ship to get to Mars that wasn't really necessary in the end. I mean, Bendis never stalled an issue this badly.

That's right. I said it.

I also found the continuity of it in comparison to the Bendis run very odd. I mean, I get that Hickman's probably writing this to make it fit better with what people fresh from the Avengers movie would expect, but I just found it odd that they were treating Wolverine and Spider-Man as if they've never been Avengers before (also--why was Spidey crying about money? He's got that nice Horizon Labs job with no money woes), and yet when Tony shows off the final roster to Steve, he asks why Luke Cage isn't on there. It's just odd.

Odd, but I'm still looking forward to it. It's all still solid work, I just think I had it a little more overhyped in my head. I mean, Hickman's F4 started off as pretty strong/fun action comics with some good heart in there, but with time it became so much more. Hickman's probably doing the same thing here.

And this reminds me that I do need to catch up on Hypernaturals. I like it when I read it, but I do sometimes forget about it.

From: Arizona | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rokk steady
Magically Delicious

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rokk steady   Email rokk steady         Edit/Delete Post     
I started out gung ho on Hypernaturals, on the premise that it would be a good Legion take by DnA, but I feel it has lost some steam... Hopefully Hickman' s avengers won't do the same( despite the general reaction that issue 2 did not live up to potential own. 1)

--------------------
Why are you laughing at me? It's unkind, as well as puzzling!

From: City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.